Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Trailer ball hitch won't release - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Default Trailer ball hitch won't release

I have a brand new Wesco trailer that is only 2 months old and I am having a problem getting the hitch to release from the ball. The day I brought it home it seemed to work fine but since then has been a real problem. I've tried different ball heights and currently when hooked to my vehicle the trailer is level. The dealer said to loosen the hitch nut by half a turn which I did with no improvement. I have to jump on my bumper while my wife cranks to get it to release. I even tried a different ball. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

Is it parked so that the trailer is pushing on the ball? That will bind the locking tab in the coupler. Try chocking the trailer wheels and letting the tow rig move forward to take the pressure off that tab.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Wallhanger

are both the ball and the coupler well greased?
HRG
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Slot Fish

The locking tab is plenty loose and I have greased the heck out of it. It seems to me that the ball is getting hung up in the front of the hitch. From this pic you can see that it is shaped like a ball and what I think is happening is that it is getting stuck in the forward section. I was thinking of blocking the backs of my trailer wheels and backing up a bit to release it. A quick search on line found a bunch of people with the same problem that I have. Not sure why I'm having this issue on a new trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-24-10 002.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	4798  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Keeper

Smile locked

Hi. I have the same problem sometime and this is what i do. you have to relieve the pressure on the latch. chock the front of the trailer wheels and then pull the tow vehicle forward a hair. then with the wheeled heist on the front crank it up the trailer tongue. the pressure on the latch has to be released. I dont the wrong size ball would cause this problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Most ball sizes change by only 1/8 of an inch. My guess is yours is wrong.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Looking at your picture, the movable latch is dropped down, and your trailer should release from the ball if you don't have a load on it from parking on an incline. Is the movable latch in the lowered position when you are having the difficulty, or is it hanging up inside the coupler?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Wallhanger

Get some grease/WD40 on the cross pin that the lower latch jaw rotates on. Your coupler is new and it could also have too tite of tolerance or even burrs that does not let the jaw to rotate smoothly.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

did you turn too sharp and bend the part where the ball goes in ?
I did this once myself when I first got my Yukon, it turns much sharper than my Tahoe and the coupler where the ball goes in got bent a little. I had a heck of a time unhooking the trailer.

Rebs
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

Many good responses.

How about .....Level?
If the hitch ball is higher...so that the trailer is sloping uphill when attached to the tow vehicle, they are hard, if not impossible, to uncouple.