Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Tramping Lake trip (Northern Manitoba) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Keeper

Default Tramping Lake trip (Northern Manitoba)

I will be taking some time away from the cottage at Sioux Narrows this June to meet my father and uncle for a fishing trip at Tramping Lake. My Dad is looking to land (C&R) his first trophy walleye.

We've never fished this lake and don't know where to begin. We'll be launching at the north end of the lake and I suspect that the action for mid-June is likely to be near the south end where the Grass River flows into Tramping Lake?? No clue, just guessing here...

Has anyone any experience with this lake? We're trout fishermen and terrible walleye fishermen!! I'm concerned about hitting rocks, too. I've fished nearby Reed Lake a few times and it is a minefield with reefs and such.

Our plan is to use 1/4 & 3/8 ounce orange or chartreuse jigs tipped with frozen minnows or gulp and possibly a few Lindy or spinner rigs. We figured we'd target the areas around the Grass River inlet but we have no experience with this lake and we might be way off. Have heard it is a phenomenal drive-to location for a trophy walleye.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can spare!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Slot Fish

A couple of other sites to pose this question are www.xtremesportfishing.com , northern manitobans site, also google cat eye outfitter there should be someone on there that can help, bigfishunter uses this board as well, he will have info on Tramping Lake .
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the reminder to check Northern Manitoban's site - Dave always has great information for fishing up that way!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Bobby,

We've been there maybe 4 times. you have a good chance at getting a Master Angler walleye (28" or more), also there are some giant pike there. All walleye 22" or over have to be returned.

As with many waters, the walleye bite seems wind driven - fish where it is blowing into. The bay to the right after leaving the river from camp can be good, if the wind is blowing in. Also, where the river flows into the lake, can be good - fish the current. The shore on each side of the flow-in is fairly consistent for bites.

There are other spots, email me if you want more details, or if you have any questions.

Bill Krejca
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Keeper

Great tips, thanks Bill, I really appreciate the information. I did send you an email as well.

Bobby
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Bill's info is bang on, fish the first bay on the right as soon as the river opens up. I did really well just off the southern tip of the island there last year. Like Bill says, the windward sides are where you want to be, and trust your sonar, if you are't marking fish, move on. When you do, sit and work them. I have done well with bb's and spinners with a frozen minnow for bait. Also the old standby, jig and minnow combo is deadly. There are some big lakers in that lake down in the main basin so, you might want to spend some time doing that as well. Like previously mentioned, trust your electronics.
Wekusko is back and almost as good as it used to be, so take a try in there, you will get plenty of eater sized eyes and sauger.
If you are after trophy eyes, there is no better place than Tramping, well, unless you come to Flin Flon, then "Athapap" and "Beaver" are also very good for some big big fish.
Well, good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Slot Fish

Default TRAMPING LAKE and WEKUSKO FALLS LODGE ARE TOP NOTCH!!

Just returned today from Tramping and Wekusko Falls Lodge. BEST TRIP EVER!! Fishing was very good with MOST fish OVER 22 inches!! Largest was my fathers amazing 33.5 inch TOAD!! Already booked for next year and am counting the days!! Brian and Ellissa are the FANTASTIC new owners of the lodge and are VERY ACCOMMODATING!! Enjoy yur trip and Good Luck!!

FISH ON!!!

Dale Frerichs Jr.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Slot Fish

Wow, that is a huge fish would love to see pictures of that monster. Also, is this the first year under the new owners? Had spent 4 years from 2002-2005 at that resort, when Tony and Sue were there, would love to go back but it is a long haul.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Minnow

Great Info, we used to go to the Bakker's Narrow area lakes, but are trying out Tramping Lake this year. We are planning on heading up in early September. Do you think the fishing will be good?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Keeper

Please forgive me for asking on this thread but felt here might be a good place to ask since you fellow fisherman go to northern Manitoba . My wife and myself's only vacations are going to Canada walleye fishing and bear hunting with our archery equipment . She wants to take a color phase black bear and I have read where many large ones are taken in Northern Manitoba . We just returned from an unsuccessful hunt in southern Manitoba and are looking towards the future (maybe next June) ............ On this past hunt we were not near a lake so our days prior to fishing were spent walking and eating . LOL . Anyone have any first hand experience bear hunting and fishng these Northern Manitoba lakes ? I do see where some offer both but I like to talk to someone who has done both ................. These hunts get expensive when two people from the same houshold are spending that mush money . I thought I had done a good job checking things out before this past hunt and things were different when we arrived . Things that I had not even crossed my mind to ask. Namely poor , unsafe treestands and the outfitter not playing the wind to our advantage instead of the bears . Also from the pictures we thought we had our own living quarters but then found out we were staying in their house , sharing the same bathroom etc. VERY nice place but we like our privacy . My wife did not like walking into the bathroom seeing a man drying himself, LOL . Thank You for any info . We REALLY enjoy ourselves going to Canada and can't wait until August . Thanks Again !!