Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
"Rocket" Bobbers........ - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Default "Rocket" Bobbers........

Anyone know where I can find some of the little honey's, in WI or MN? How about a website? Thanks, Gregory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: "Rocket" Bobbers........

Just got some at Wal Mart in Janesville They also carry them at the Bear Paw sporting store in Rice Lake
Old 04-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Okay....I'll 'bite'. Wha Wha Wha What are they? Does this mean, after all these years, I gotta cast out a bobber that sinks first and then comes shooting up out of the water when a fish hits? Lighted bobbers is one thing but "rockets"? lol
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#

Old 04-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Steve,
------------------------------------------------
Note the following web site for the rocket bobber:
http://www.bobber.com/Bobbers.html
-------------------------------------------------

Actually - Rocket Bobbers are the only bobber that I use any more for relativly shallow fishing, where I need to cast a long distance, as is often the case for spooky spring fishing.

Rocket bobbers are molded plastic - relatively heavy.
They come in two sizes - small and large - the small is typically sized for 1/16 or less jigs, and the large for larger baits.

Each size comes in two colors - red bottom and charturse top, or charturese bottom and red top.

Typically - especially using very light jigs - the rocket bobbers are fished on their sides -- i.e. you can use jigs as light as 1/80th of an oz. and not have to put any additional split shot. This works great - when the fish are biting very light - and you want the bait to fall very sloooooooooow.

Then, as you move your bait back to the boat - especially with a very light jig - the bait will pull toward the surface -- thus, with the ability to cast a very very very long distance - due to the weight of the bobber, and the ability to have your jig loop up and sink back down, you can cover the entire water column - as you work your jig back to the boat.

Many times - in spring fishing, you need to be 50-75 feet away from a shallow school of fish, that might be any where from 2-10 feet below the surface -- this bobber allows you to easily cast to them, work the school, quickly crank the jig back and cast again.

As I said earlier - the bobber is fished on its side -- thus no added weight is required on a very light jig. But, as soon as the slightest nibble occurs on the jib, the bobber tips up - Time to set the hook and reel them in.

For spring and fall fishing -- with a need to cast a long distance, and not have a weighty offering under the bobber - the rocket bobber is the only way to go.

Take care and catch a bunch.

REW

Old 04-24-2002, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

t
Old 04-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Found some at Capra's. The company's web site is: www.tackle2000.com
Made in Wausau, WI, only 35 miles from my house! Gregory
Old 04-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

REW - thanks for the link. Motorized bobbers...Bullfrog...diving bobber, WOW. I don't think I would ever hear the end of it if I pulled out my trusty Bullfrog bobber on a trip...

Didn't know quill pins were still available.