Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
150 optimax and pro xs hp difference - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Keeper

Question 150 optimax and pro xs hp difference

I was told by a dealer that the horsepower difference between a 150 Optimax and 150 Optimax Pro XS was 7 hp. The Optimax has 155 Hp and the Pro XS had 162. Does anyone know the real prop shaft horsepower of these 2 motors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Optimaxer

Default More like 15 to 25 hp

the 150 optimax is 150 to 160 hp and the pro xs 150 optimax is 175 and it has more torque and power across the hole powerband not just toppend WOT!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Keeper

Not saying your wrong.......I am just surprised.

My understanding is that you cannot call it 150hp unless it is between 135-165hp (+/-10%)????????
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Keeper

Sounds fishy to me!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default This is fairly common...

...holding the HP on a specific high performance model to the upper end of the allowable rating band- a "plain" 150 would be 150 and the special motor would be 160 or so but still within the allowable ratings band- which I believe is still plus or minus 10% under specified testing conditions. In this case- I would check with the dealer as to the type of intake reeds running in the XS. I've heard they that all the XS motors run fiberglass reeds, vs stainless steel for the regular motors. Other changes involves fuel system settings, ECU mapping, timing, etc, to sqeak out a few extra horsepower within the ratings band. Typically there will be a note in the motors warranty that broken glass reeds are not covered, since reed replacement is a "maintenance item". Another trick you can play with glass reeds is to set the reed stops out a bit higher to allow more reed travel for a bit more power- and Merc may be doing this on the XS. In any event, fiberglass reeds are not known to last as long as steel reeds, and changing reeds on a modern DFI engine is not a job for the typical owner- nor many marine mechanics- and its not cheap.

But what the heck- you have to pay to play if you want the last mph out of the rig.
Doug
Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

I believe the reeds in the XS are carbon fiber.

-Eli
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Default we have us a WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post
I believe the reeds in the XS are carbon fiber.

-Eli

Run with the Pros
The tournament-tested Mercury ProXS lineup is the choice of thousands of performance-minded anglers. Only OptiMax ProXS engines feature durable and responsive Carbon Fiber Reeds to control airflow into the engine crankcase, while dome-Shaped Piston Heads direct the fuel-and-air charge to the spark plug more efficiently. This results in amazing power, outstanding durability, and excellent running quality. In head-to-head tests, the 150hp ProXS outran the competition by almost 5 MPH while delivering 15% better fuel economy. In addition, we outfitted the 250hp ProXS with Solid Billet Aluminum Mounts to keep the engine from turning or twisting under high torque (20-inch models only).

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...optimax/proxs/

HRG
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ok guys

Im not starting a Pissing match, but here goes. A couple years ago,after the 2006 updates I saw the Dyno #s on a 150 Opti to be about 146-151hp at the prop, Bass Cat was instrumental in the development in the 150 Pro xs, it is definitely a 165 or +10% motor. It does the job of competing with the 150 Evinrude.....I have a French test from last year where a boating magazine tested Every 150 made, Verado,Opti,Yamaha 4stroke,Suzuki,Evinrude and a Spanish brand I never heard of. On the Dyno sheets the Evinrude showed a 181hp at 5800rpms, and Im not lying. The 150 Verado was at 175ish,Yamaha F150 was right with it,which was not too surprising for folks who have repowered from a 150 2 stroke to a F150 Yamaha, very strong. Heres whats funny of Dynos and the EPA, If I relay this right the EPA or Goverment tests the motors at 1 RPM,approx 5200rpms, and thats how their rated....on the Evinrude for instance at 5200 it was about 165hp at the prop, the power curve SHOT right up to that 180ish area at the 5700rpm point and did not fall at 6000rpms, I think what this proves is that these companies can use 1 platform to produce a 150,150 pro,175 and the 2.5XS type of race motors....In BRPs case the 150/150 HO, 175 and venerable 200 Etec, granted the porting changes on the 200,but you guys get the point.....The 150 Pro XS is the REAL DEAL, the 175 Pro XS you may not feel the 190hp unless your running a Real Pad hull like a Hydrostream or Allison.....On a Walleye type of hull I would pay for as much perfomance as I could,seriously, back off on the Side Imaging and 27 seats and get some HP, you dont want to get HP after the sale, its quite pricey!!!!! Brannon
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up Carbon fiber reeds

I have installed carbon fiber reeds in several merc v6's it is not difficult and if you have to have it done 300 labor and 200 for the reeds . Odds are suing them 6 months out of the year with average use you will never have to replace them If you eat a broken one (which I have never had happen) it generally passes through the engine with little if any damage. On the other hand if you eat a steel one power head failure usually occurs . Carbon Reeds are the way to go on merc v6's more performance both ends idle and top end. The XS is definitely worth the extra money up front.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Motor Rating

The normal test procedure runs the motor thru its entire rpm range- and your competitors are allowed to witness the test and results- and protest them if warranted. If the horsepower has not peaked and then dropped off, then they will increase the rpm until it does drop off- thereby making sure no one claims a lower rating range to slip in a ringer. This has been true since the 1950s, when Carl Kiekhaefer tried to slip his KF and KG series Mercs thru the old BIA rating methods. Mr. K claimed that the KG-4 was 7.5 hp at 4000 rpm, it was actually 12 hp at around 5200 rpm. The KG-7 was rated at 10 hp at 4000 rpm, and put out around 16 hp at 5200. The BIA refused to certify his engine ratings, so for a number of years Merc rated their engines with notes like "hp is 10+, and horsepower varies with rpm". I have a 1951 KG-4 in my basement- rated at 7.5+ horsepower. On my 14 ft Starcraft open utility it runs around 21 mph, and my 2001 Merc 15 runs around 24. Under the present rating system the old KG-4 would be right around 12 hp.

As for the carbon fiber reeds vs the fiberglass reeds- they are both composite materials subject to delamination over time and I would still suggest checking the warranty from Merc to see if they cover the reeds if they fail early. When the aircraft makers built the F-117 Fighter and the B-2 Bomber everyone raved about the carbon fiber- which is just a graphite/epoxy resin mix vs. fiberglass with polyester resin. But now the F-17 and the B-2 are going thru some mods- because of delamination of the wonder material. Early graphite fishing rods had the same issue. Its not a big deal as long as you know what you're buying into.....
Doug