Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Vexilar FL8 Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Keeper

Default Vexilar FL8 Problem

I am having trouble with my vexilar FL8. The unit will not pick up my bait . I have playedwith the gain levels and that didn't help. I have read the FAQ's section on the Vexilar website and that didn't help. My transducer is level. The battery is fully charged. Is it possible that one of the wires in the cable has broken? If a wire was broken what effect might that have?Not sure if the problem is with the unit or transducer itself. Not sure where to go from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

contact Vexilar

they are very helpful
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Here is a simple test that will help.

Here is a simple sensitivity test that will help diagnose the problem for you.

(First off, Check all connections, and start with a fully charged battery.)

1 - Set the unit on a table with the transducer suspended 24" from the face of the puck to the floor, with a clear view of the floor.

Do this on a hard floor, concrete is best, but linoleum is also workable, no carpet.

Still the puck, do not have it swinging, no motion is best.

2 - Now set the gain at the lowest level on the dial, then turn it up slowly tell you get a good read in RED on the floor.

The math will be off, it will ready 9' in the 20' mode...due to sound waves travel at a different speed in the air then they do in water...this is normal.

3 - The higher you need to turn the gain UP to get a good read, the weaker the transducer is.

If you need to turn it up past 11:00 on the dial in Full Power Mode...you very likely have found your problem...it is a bad transducer and in need of replacement. (If so...then this is a very good time to consider a duel beam or a new tri-beam ducer as 2/3 of the cost of a single beam is already required, and the multi beam is very handy in many situations.)

Note: There are factors that may make a higher gain setting required. The style of jig used, some are more "Flasher Friendly" in profile then others, requiring a higher gain setting to be viewed.

Another factor is current and positioning of the jig in the beam of the sonar.

An often missed factor is if the transducer puck is leaning up against the side of the ice it will slightly tilt the transducer allowing the beam angle to look off in the opposite direction then intended. This will miss-align the beam causing difficulty in picking up the bait. Try to be sure the beam is level whenever you possibly can.

Try the sensitivity test I described above, and also take the other factors I mentioned into consideration on your next trip. See if it solves the issues or not.

I hope this helped.

Last edited by Backwater Eddy; 12-31-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Minnow

Do the multi beam transducers work on the old FL8 models? What settings can you change to be able ot use them effectively.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Post Multi-Beam options on a Vexilar FL series.

Yes, a multi beam ducer system can be added to any FL Series model ever made.

The transducer and the switching is on the cable all together as one component, so it is easily upgradable.

It is a simple matter of unpluging the old ducer from the head unit, and installing the new ducer with the switch incorperated into it. It just takes 2 holes to mount the switch where you find it most usefull.

The new Tri-Beams are in low supply right now. More will soon be available on there own. Most now are in packages pre-rigged on various FL Series models. Any new FL Series unit can be ordered with the tri-beam ready to go.

Duel beam ducers are still available, and also offer more flexibility. But for the same money, I would get the tri-beam system as the upgrade.

As for settings, much the same. You will quickly note lower gain settings required in the narrower beam angles.

You will also note very fine target separation is more readily achieved with the new Tri-Beam as you can more specifically target your bait and the prey your after.

As an upgrade, it's a sure way to get the most from any FL series unit, no matter what model it is.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Minnow

Default vex

If it hasn't been mentioned already, try someone else' transducer to eliminate that possibility. Check all pins in plugs to ensure all are good. Vexilar has been awesome in service for me but the turnaround may be slow with the season in full swing. Hopefully not if that is your recourse.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Heid,
If you happen to be in the Minneapolis, MN area, just swing by the Vexilar factory and they will generally fix it while you wait.

REW
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
kkannonball

Default tranasducer problem

Try and wash the face/bottom of tranducer with warm soapy water, a film will lower its sensitvity, happen to me this year, kannon
Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Keeper

Problem solved. It turns out that one of the wires was broken on the transducer cable. I took the connector that attaches to the unit apart and found a broken wire. I resoldered it and put the connector back on. Took the unit out today for a test drive and it works great. I caught 2 walleyes as an added bonus.