Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best revolver for deer hunting? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

Magnum Research BFR Revolver .50 AE. No compromises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks Guys!

Thanks for your input, guys! We really appreciate your thoughts! That Ruger SuperRedHawk .44 seems to come near the top of the list for a lot of hunters. Any additional ideas out there?
Thanks again, TrollerMan and Son
Waconia MN USA
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

how about a thompson center contender?
my dad has one of those, fun gun, lots of dif barrels you can get for them too!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Minnow

I use my Ruger GP100 in 357 6" barrel. Very affordable gun. sweet to shoot. lots of practice with 38spec rounds out of it. This year Im working on 180 grn reloads for it. Always remember to shoot within your effective shooting range whether it be 20 yards or 50 yards. I personally like to sit in my archery stand. I feel a 10-40 yard shot is enough
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Slot Fish

My .02.
The S&W xvr 460 is the superstar of revolvers. The gun is capable of +200 yard accuracy, the shooter may not be though. Ammo is pretty pricy though. Next on my list would be the .44 Magnum. Ammo is still pretty pricey though but good to 100yds. And my third choice is the 357 magnum. good out to 50 yards which is the accurate limit for most shooters. the nice thing about the 357 is it is much cheaper for the ammo because you can use 38special for shooting at the range and becooming a much better shooter for less money. My fist choice would be the 357 because my assumption is that since you asked for opinions you might not have a lot of practice or knowledge and maybe you need to get used to shooting accurate with a revolver and it would not hurt your pocket book too much. If that's not the case and your already experienced and don't need to shoot alot of rounds at the range then the 44 is a better choice. If your looking to go all out and spend some money the xvr is in my opinion the all around most superior revolver round you can buy. I wish I had one but I'm only up to the point where i'm looking to move up from the 357 and get a 44. This is just my opinion. As far as ammo check out the hornady leverevolution

Last edited by tds2180; 04-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

I had a really nice nickle or was in chrome super redhawk .44 magnum that has been used in Wisconsin on our property.

Then many years ago i fell in love with the nickle/chrome desert eagle .44 mag that has since replaced my ruger.

I am still a long rifle lover for whitetail, yet when in the stand with a nice rack within clean range, got to love that eagle
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStarnes1 View Post
how about a thompson center contender?
my dad has one of those, fun gun, lots of dif barrels you can get for them too!
I had an 8mm JDJ SSK industries chambered bbl for a contender. What a round in that gun.....2500fps with a 150gr sierra BT..444 case necked down to 8mm. Out penetrated my .06 w/150gr (2950fps) on 1 gal water jugs set in line .....8 vs 6 @ 100 yds. Absolutely awesome combination. I got it for Elk Hunting. Recoil was/is straight back with no roll or swing. Very accurate....1/2" to 3/4" @100 yds.
That is one of the guns I wished I never would have let go.