Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ranger Trailer Bearing Issues AGAIN !!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Minnow

Default Ranger Trailer Bearing Issues AGAIN !!!!

I have a 1860 Angler,it is 18 months old,has been trailered about 30 hours total.
The first year i park it in the garage and back the tires onto a piece of plywood.When i take it out in the spring i notice the bearing lube had leaked out of the left wheel,on the backside of the wheel{it was gold in colour}.Wonderland Marine in Mi. apparently fixed it.
Last weekend i am looking over the bearings and notice the R/S is white in colour and the left bearing in which Blunderland has apparently fixed is black.
This is a pain in the a$$,its going to another place to get fixed on March 19,to be continued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rod View Post
I have a 1860 Angler,it is 18 months old,has been trailered about 30 hours total.
The first year i park it in the garage and back the tires onto a piece of plywood.When i take it out in the spring i notice the bearing lube had leaked out of the left wheel,on the backside of the wheel{it was gold in colour}.Wonderland Marine in Mi. apparently fixed it.
Last weekend i am looking over the bearings and notice the R/S is white in colour and the left bearing in which Blunderland has apparently fixed is black.
This is a pain in the a$$,its going to another place to get fixed on March 19,to be continued.
Do you have the liquihubs (newer style that do not have a sight glass) or the sight glass version on your hubs?

The oil should be black. White or milky means that there is water intrusion. So, looks like the dealership that fixed the problem did it right and you have a problem with the right side.

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

They are problematic aren't they. Myself or my dealer have replaced the oil system/seals/spindle on my 05 trailer a few times. Still get water intrusion, mine don't "leak" but I still have to drain/refill a few times a summer. Oil bath might be great for OTR trailers...but IMHO they aren't worth the trouble on a boat trailer... spindles/seals get warm, dunk them in cold water and get immediate shrinking, distortion...leaks.

I'm considering going back to greasable hubs.

BIRDDOG
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

I am suprised. I have been nothing less than satisfied with all the work Wonderland West has performed for me, and that is a good bit. They installed a kicker plate, and installed a remote controlled T8 for me. It looks as good as any factory pre rig, and they used all OEM parts. They installed a walk through windshield for me, it is centered and placed perfectly squarely on the consoles, which is a heck of a lot better than either Starcraft or Lund managed to do at the factory on my last two boats. They installed and networked depthfinders. The cables etc were run and bundled the exact same way as I would have done it had I had the time to do it myself.
Anyone I have referred there has been happy too. Have you contacted Wonderland to give them a chance make it right before running them down on the web? From all indications I have seen, they are competent and caring, I doubt they would just ignore a problem if they knew of it.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

I agree, I wouldn't blame the dealer...blame the crappy bearing/hub design. The oil bath issues are quite common.

BIRDDOG
Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Slot Fish

Get use to it, I have a 2005 and have not gone a full year without at least one hub failing. Ranger has done nothing about it. Yes they fixed them while under warranty. But no compensation for down time. Now that my trailer is out of warranty they could care less!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Slot Fish

Default Trailer bearings and water.

When I was back in the business and I changed trailer bearings that had oil bath, I would pack bearings with grease just in case seals or hubs leaked. It gave me an added area of protection inbetween inspections. Will do the same with my new ranger trailer. Just a thought.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I gave up using oil bath systems when none of the old time trailer repairs shops would work on them.
For 18 wheelers they are great, but for boats they give too much trouble.
It sounded like a great idea, but it didn't pan out.
I can say the same thing for LED trailer lights. Every one I bought has gone bad. Yet they are great for 18 wheelers.
I boat in salt water, and greased bearings with bearing buddies, and old fashioned water proof trailer lights are still the way to go.
Miami Vice
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Wallhanger

Do you guys fill your hubs completely full of oil?? When i changed out my Triton trailer to UFP oil hubs they have you fill them completely full of oil. When the oil gets warm from running it makes a positive pressure aganst the inner seal which keeps water from entering. I have run mine for four years, hav`nt changed the oil yet and no water or leaks. Wiredog
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
Do you guys fill your hubs completely full of oil?? When i changed out my Triton trailer to UFP oil hubs they have you fill them completely full of oil. When the oil gets warm from running it makes a positive pressure aganst the inner seal which keeps water from entering. I have run mine for four years, hav`nt changed the oil yet and no water or leaks. Wiredog
I know some of the older ranger hubs called for filling them, my 05 calls for approx. half full. Not sure why some say fill them, others not to? Design is essentially the same between all the hubs, so why the different specs for oil?

I think many are pretty sick of the oil bath hubs, I know I am. In all the fishing forums I frequent, there are a pile of threads regarding the oil bath hubs with countless complaints on each of them. It would be interesting to know how many percent of oil bath owners have had issues?? I think I'll post up a poll.

BIRDDOG