Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Alumacraft Trophy 175 vs Lund Fisherman - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft Trophy 175 vs Lund Fisherman

What do you guys think about these boats? I know about Lunds, but what about the Alumacrafts? How do these boats handle rough water?? Anybody out there with experience with an alumacraft trophy 175 or and alumacrafts??? How about this Lund fisherman? How does this boat compare to Lund Tyee???? Thanks for any information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Keeper

I owned a 2004 Alumacraft Trophy 175 with a 140 Johnson on it. Very nice boat. It handles rough water just fine for a 17 foot boat. I put numerous hours on lakes Winnibigosh and Mille Lacs between 2004 and 2010. My boat didn't have a in floor rod locker nor a separate baitwell, which is the reason I sold it and bought something else (skeeter wx 1850). I've been in a lot of different lunds, including the fisherman. I believe Alumacraft is every bit on par with Lund as far as construction and ride. I would look at the boats and see if they have all the features that you want. If they do, buy the best deal. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default 1700 vs. 175

I own the lund and a good buddy of mine has the 175. I have spent a ton of time in my boat and probably 40ish hours in his. Fit and finish, I think Lund has a slight edge. Construction, about the same and both good. Niether one of us have had any issues. The biggest difference is the ride. The 175 wins hands down. We have had the boats riding side by side in a 2-3' chop and I can't run it without getting pounded and he does just fine. In Canada, I would need him to break the waves and I would follow behind. If you run any big water, the 175 is the better choice from that standpoint.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Minnow

I run a 2001 Trophy 175 and it's a great all-around boat. I run it in northern WI on the flowages and smaller lakes and then it makes about two trips a year out on Green Bay when we have enough guys on our trolling trips that we need another boat outside of my brother's 20' Trophy. I have had it five - six footers out on the bay and while I won't say it was fun (no boat is "fun" in big waves) I will say that I simply drove smart and at no time did I ever feel worried or unsafe in the boat. It handles the rough water well and does everything we ask of it. Depending on the frequency of the waves at times it even rides better than my brother's 20 footer of the same boat.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Keeper

I own a 2005 1800 Fisherman. I love the ride and feel in big water. I regularly fish the 2-3 footers on Mille Lacs and the boat feels very stable. I came upon the same question a couple years back between the Lund and Alumacraft models. I found that the Lund Fisherman beats the comparable Trophy in design and finish. I got the impression that the interior on the Trophy was "cheap" compared to the Fisherman. Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Default 2004 magnum 175

Just bought a 04 magnum 175 this winter and have had it out twice so far and just love it. Dont really know the difference between the trophy and the magnum. 115 honda and its plenty. The walleye r just gettiing ready for the flats and i cant hardly wait.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Minnow

Wallydiver,

I am just starting to look for my first boat and these two (used) are my main targets. My regular fishing partner has a loaded, 2006 1700 Fisherman and while he (and I) like it, for whatever reason (weight, hull design???) it can regularly act like a cork the way it bounces up and down and gets tossed around. As such, I thought that the extra weight of the Alumacraft might give it an edge.

With that said, IMO the Ranger Reata 1850 is the best multi-species/family boat around for many reasons, but mainly b/c of the layout and the inclusion of both in-floor rod storage as well as a convertable casting deck. Lund, via the loaded Fisherman or Tyee, mimics this design which to me, makes it much more versatile and user friendly.

My only other comment would be that since I started looking, since about 2006-or 2007, finding Lunds with any other engine but a Merc is rare or at least difficult. You have the ability, if looking used, to find a much greater range of engine types on an Alumacraft (Yamaha, Evindrude, Suzuki and Merc) than vs a Lund.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 2008 Trophy 175 with a 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke.
It is definitely a heavy boat and you won't win any races with a 115 horse on the back but it is very stable in choppy water.
Mine did not come with a power pedestal, but I think it will be a future purchase for this boat.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
I own the lund and a good buddy of mine has the 175. I have spent a ton of time in my boat and probably 40ish hours in his. Fit and finish, I think Lund has a slight edge. Construction, about the same and both good. Niether one of us have had any issues. The biggest difference is the ride. The 175 wins hands down. We have had the boats riding side by side in a 2-3' chop and I can't run it without getting pounded and he does just fine. In Canada, I would need him to break the waves and I would follow behind. If you run any big water, the 175 is the better choice from that standpoint.
I own a 1999 Trophy Sport 175, buddy owns a 2005 Fisherman. Comments above are accurate. His Fisherman has a much higher side area, which is a major pain when trolling or drifting in the wind. Mine is MUCH easier to control. I like the Lund layout/compartment configuration better...but ditto for the newer versions of the Trophy, also. My Trophy does not have a reserve gas tank, which his Lund does. That would have been nice to have, once.......
You won't go wrong with either, and the Alumacraft tends to not carry the same premium price for the name.....
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trophy 175

The Trophy 175 is 2" longer, 1" wider and 2" deeper than the Tyee 1750. The Trophy has a much larger fuel tank, as well as larger live wells. Hydraulic steering, stand-up top set and AM/FM/CD stereo are standard on the Trophy, options on the Tyee. The Trophy is available with Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki, Honda or Evinrude, the Tyee is available with a Merc. Hope this helps.