Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Humminbird 597 problem - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Keeper

Default 597 and Interference

Hey guys. I was just about to post a similar thread, but here you are. I just returned my 597 with down imaging to one without (the sales guy hadn't told me that the downscan wouldn't work on the US2). I had a similar problem and was curious to see if the 597CI unit worked better. NO - just like you say, Trego - depth all over the place and horrible picture....UNLESS you turn off the trolling motor. So, it seems to be an interference problem as my rigging guy suspected. He showed me a little box (matchbox size) around which you have to wrap the transducer cable a few times or something like that. Says you can only get them from Humminbird (accoring to his rep). Weird stuff, but our issue seems to be the same: The US2 transducer isn't worth a crap when the Terrova is running.
I don't like the idea of extra rigging for something that is supposed to work in the first place. Anybody from Johnson Outdoors listening??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemidjiboy View Post
Hey guys. I was just about to post a similar thread, but here you are. I just returned my 597 with down imaging to one without (the sales guy hadn't told me that the downscan wouldn't work on the US2). I had a similar problem and was curious to see if the 597CI unit worked better. NO - just like you say, Trego - depth all over the place and horrible picture....UNLESS you turn off the trolling motor. So, it seems to be an interference problem as my rigging guy suspected. He showed me a little box (matchbox size) around which you have to wrap the transducer cable a few times or something like that. Says you can only get them from Humminbird (accoring to his rep). Weird stuff, but our issue seems to be the same: The US2 transducer isn't worth a crap when the Terrova is running.
I don't like the idea of extra rigging for something that is supposed to work in the first place. Anybody from Johnson Outdoors listening??
What is humminbird telling you?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Keeper

Default Checking in now

Just sending them a note now. I'll let you know what they say. Though, it seems to be a trolling motor issue, but since the companies have the same owner, you'd think they'd be synced with all this....
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Minnow

Hello from Humminbird! There are several things that can be done if you are getting interferance from your trolling motor.

Top three items to check when using a US2 Sonar

1) check the fuse in the trolling motor
2) loose US2 adapter near unit (make sure this connection is tight)
3) loose US2 connection in head of motor.(make sure this connection is tight)

We have several tips listed on our FAQ's (one being the below in regards to the US2 Sonar)

If you have a trolling motor that has Universal Sonar 2 you need to insure that the fuse in the head of your motor has not blown. A visual inspection will not suffice, you will need to check for continuity with a volt meter. If you do not know where the fuse is located in your trolling motor, you should be able to locate it in the exploded diagram of your trolling motor manual. This fuse is a 3-amp, mini automotive. If the fuse is blown, you should either contact MinnKota Customer Service or one of their many Authorized Service Centers across the US and Canada. Also make sure that the connections on the Universal Sonar Cable are properly tightened. If these connectors are not completely screwed in, noise can enter the unit from these openings.
Fuse location inside Motor Headhttp://www.humminbird.com/uploadedIm...thumb_fuse.jpg
US2 Cable inside motor head http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedIm...onnectors1.jpg
External US2 Cable the hooks up your unit adapter[IMG]http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedIm...onnectors2.jpg[/IMG]

You can find additional troubleshooting suggestions at the below link:

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849

Thank you
Deborah @ Humminbird

Last edited by HBirdDeborahCRC; 05-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Keeper

Default Alrightie, then!

Well, I guess I won't have to let you know what they said, then. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, Trego, but I suspect we have the same issue. Deborah, I'm glad you guys are following along here and thanks for the note. That's good practice. I'll follow the advice you listed here (though might take a few weeks to get that done), but I should point out that I heard another anecdote this morning at the dealership of the exact same problem with somebody else's unit. That got us wondering if there was something new about this generation of 500 units or the Terrovas. We'll see...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Minnow

Unhappy Humminbird 597 ci HD DI problems -

I'm having the issue with that same 597 ci HI DI combo unit -the depth readings / scale jumping all over the place when I run my old tiller Minnkota trolling motor on my 14 foot Alumacraft (with 25 hp Merc.) Arrrgh! (NOTE - I am using the transducer that came with the Humminbird unit and have it mounted on a separate bracket on the other side of the transom from my trolling motor.) Also getting some obvious trolling motor interference - solid color banding in the readout etc.

I called H'bird and talked to Julie. She had a few ideas to try - she said to be sure to run the software update (when I told her I had, she checked and said I have the most current version 5.470), run a second ground wire off the trolling motor, turn down the unit sensitivity, get the trolling motor cables and the depth finder wires as far apart as possible and get a separate battery just to run the unit. (!!!)

I am going to play with it this weekend. I'll let you know if anything works.

Very frustrating to plunk down a big chunk of money for a piece of equipment and having to mess with it to make it work... I just want to go fishing!

Tim Smalley
Minnesota

Last edited by tmsmalley; 05-19-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Keeper

As mentioned by the previous poster, it is a MUST that you are powering hte trolling motor and the sonar unit off seperate batteries. Using the
same battery will cause all kinds of interference problems.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Keeper

Default Here's a more detailed reply from Humminbird

Here's what Humminbird said to me in an email. First person to find a solution, post it so we can get back out there!

Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service.

Trolling motor manufacturers are now able to produce a more efficient trolling
motor relative to power management. In doing so, the motors sometimes produce
electrical interference for the Depth Sounders. This interference can be
exhibited in several different ways:

*Random targets/pixels on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.

*Noise seen on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.

*The Depth Sounder turns off, when the trolling motor is in use.

*The Depth Sounder will stop operating, the display seemingly freezing, and
will not respond to any button/knob selections, when the trolling motor is in
use.

*Erratic depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.

*Loss of depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.

Follow the steps provided below to confirm and reduce this interference:

1. Power the Depth Sounder on in the Start Up mode (normal on the water
operational mode) with no other equipment or motors running. Confirm that the
interference is being produced by the trolling motor by establishing that the
interference only happens when the trolling motor is used. Some trolling
motors may only produce interference when used at certain speeds, so test at
as many speeds as possible.

2. Once trolling motor interference has been confirmed, you may need to
adjust your power connection to the battery as follows:

For boats that have a 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor, confirm that the
depth sounder is either powered off of the bottom battery in the trolling
motor battery array, or (preferably) off the boat’s cranking battery. The
bottom battery is the one that powers the trolling motor when on the 12 volt
setting and should be the one that has the main negative lead for the motor
that connects from the 24 or 36-volt operation.

3. In those Humminbird products that have a Noise Filter in the Advanced
Sonar Menu, confirm that this is turned ON.

If this does not reduce the interference; please reply to this email or
contact our Customer Service Department at 1.800.633.1468 with the below
information:

1. If you have a unit with a card reader and image capture capabilities, it
would be helpful to email us a Screen Snapshot showing what the fishfinder
display looks like with the trolling motor running and while it is in the off
position.

2. Be in a position to tell the representative if the interference you are
experiencing is occurring on down looking sonar or side imaging sonar (if your
model is a side imaging unit) or on both types of sonar.

3. Be able to provide us with the complete fishfinder-related setup on the
boat such as:

* Which Fishfinder models are installed on the boat? * Where are the
transducers located for each unit? * What trolling motor Brand and model is on
the boat? * If you have two GPS capable Humminbird fishfinders on the boat are
you using either an Interlink or Systemlink to network GPS receivers on the
boat, etc? * the serial number to your Humminbird product

We apologize for the inconvenience regarding this issue. Please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Good Boating and Fishing!
Jeffery
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM
trego

Default Still not working

I'm the one who started this post because of problems with my Humminbird 597 ci hd di combo mounted on my front bow mount elec. trolling motor. The depth and scale jump all over the place, making the unit pretty much useless. I have called and talked to Humminbird five times (they were very nice, and have tried to be helpful) but still no good. They've suggested setting the max. depth to just over my fishing depth, getting the latest software update, setting the noise to high three, and other things, but nothing has helped. It's getting very frustrating. I think I'm to the point that I don't want the unit anymore, and would like to exchange it for something else, like maybe a 788 without the DI. I can't call Humminbird now (Mem. weekend), but will as soon as I can-----probably Tuesday. I had a Humminbird 385 on my front bow mount all last year with you problem. I have a 788 on my console, again with no problem.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Minnow

I have the same problem with my 788 HD DI. I bought the unit new a month ago and updated the software. I have the transducer on my PD V2. I keep a consistent bottom reading on the graph but the readout in the upper left corner is all over the place.....trolling motor on or off. I have the unit powered through the cranking battery so that is not the issue. I am planning on calling HB this weekend.

My only other thought is the longer transducer on the DI is somehow being interfered with by the tiller or blades on the trolling motor.?