Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Night fishing tips for walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Slot Fish

Default Night fishing tips for walleye

I read alot about success fishing for walleye at night. i have tried some of the techniques described (primarily trolling cranks) and have had zero success. It seems like after the sun has gone all the way down the bite shuts down. I would really like to make the most of my opportunities on the water and fishing at night would do that.

Any suggestion on:

Time
Presentation
Depth
etc would be much appreciated

I fish mainly flatland man made reservoirs (KS) but do fish up north as well. I think the techniques will transfer if I am on fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Some of the best walleye fishing of the year occurs after dark on cranks, either casting or trolling.

At this time of year, I target shorelines that have a distinct inside weed edge and often some other cover (like rocks or timber) between the weeds and the shore. This is often 1-3 feet of water. Trolling over these shallow fish can be counterproductive, to I tend to position myself near the inside weed edge and cast towards shore. I maintain position with the bowmount (Terrova 101) and quietly make my way parallel to shore until I contact fish. Rapala shallow shad raps (#7s) and flat raps (#8s) are key baits for me as they have excellent action at typically slow retrieve speeds.

There's more information on this presentation, and methods you can use to find likely areas, in this article:

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/earlysummer.html
Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

great article, thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson2925 View Post
I read alot about success fishing for walleye at night. i have tried some of the techniques described (primarily trolling cranks) and have had zero success. It seems like after the sun has gone all the way down the bite shuts down. I would really like to make the most of my opportunities on the water and fishing at night would do that.

Any suggestion on:

Time
Presentation
Depth
etc would be much appreciated

I fish mainly flatland man made reservoirs (KS) but do fish up north as well. I think the techniques will transfer if I am on fish.

all lakes are different. Winnebago is basically useless at night except for maybe the east shore on docks....
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Keeper

i have had some pretty good success casting flashy, shallow running jerkbaits to shallow weedbeds/ weed edges on the natural lakes around me.

trolling is illegal on these lakes, and usually in 3-4 feet of water, so it wouldnt make much sense to me anyways. i like to use baits that put out a lot of flash in whatever moonlight there happens to be. maxraps and clackin minnows (havent had a chance to use the latter much yet, though) have great flash, but my personal favorite is the "magic scale" lucky crafts, ms american shad, ms crack and ms gunmetal shad especially. i have had less success, albeit less than with the more expensive options listed above, with silver/black/orange belly smithwick super rogues.

this year i will also try some dark swimbaits, and some other crankbait options, really liking the look/action of koppers shallow/suspending perch, we shall see!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Minnow

I catch a lot of fish at night with Husky Jerks. I will cast the flats 3' to 8 fow. I troll with HJ's also, usually in 10' to 14' fow. And the most important thing is troll with your electric and keep noise to an absolute minimum. Those shallow fish are awful spooky. One other thing avoid shining any light into the water except when netting your fish.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Slot Fish

Thank you for the comments and the article. I think I am doing most things right - long lining shallow diving cranks with the trolling motor. Is there a certain time of the night, are certain moons better? I guess I still dont really understand why they are shutting down so quickly at dark?? Also, have any of you used live bait at night, spinners or jigs?

thanks,
Old 05-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Big Tipper

Default Most Important

The most import night time fishing tip of all is that you fold your tonque over, from left to right, for 3 minutes and then curl it for 10 seconds, repeating continuously while bait of choice is in the water. I have found that my success rate has gone up 300% when this is performed.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Can I ask something without hijacking the thread? When you say "night", do you find a particular time to be better than another? Right after dark, late night, or just before dawn?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

The most consistent 'night' time in my experience, on the lakes I fish are usually between 3 AM until an hour or two after sunrise. 3AM-7AM is my absolute favorite time to fish.