Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Warrior 1890 value/performance????? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 PM
BigGameBalls BigGameBalls is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
Default

I like the hull design and the idea of a nice big wide open fiberglass tiller I just wish the motor was atleast an EFI. I'd probably be okay with it but 7700 still seems like a lot of money for a 15 year old boat with a carb motor on it.

I just let my 2004 Nitro 882 with 150 opti in mint condition and a brand new detwiler jack plate go for 12,800. After looking at what people want for some of the used boats out there I feel like I let it go too cheap.


One more question was the 1997 model rated for any more than 90hp and does it have that fancy steering? I guess a thought is I could always live with it for a while and then re power it with a more modern motor down the line.

Last edited by BigGameBalls; 06-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Hot Runr Guy's Avatar
Hot Runr Guy Hot Runr Guy is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Glen Ellyn, IL, USA.
Posts: 9,615
Default

I'd offer the guy $5K for the hull and trailer, and let him sell his motor to someone else.

HRG
__________________
"I've got a car with a trailer hitch, and a pocket full of money. Do you want to sell that boat today, or not?"
My Mentor, Bill Michalek, circa 1975
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
jkbrink jkbrink is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: western WI
Posts: 144
Default

What you need to understand about this boat is that no matter what you do to/with it, you aren't going to have a speed boat. Mine cruises 30mph @ 5k rpm and it's comfortable there. Yes, it does have the power steering. What you're looking at is a boat that's best suited to dancing (backwards) around a stump, rock, or some other abnormality on the bottom. Personally, I thiink my f115 is too big for the boat. I can only troll it down to maybe 1.8mph on a backtroll and maybe 2.3 on a good day fwd. Please know that there's a ton of variables (wind, current,etc) that are involved. I quoted a wot speed of somewhere around 40mph (gps) but that was with a 3 blade stainless prop. I don't like stainless props,who needs $300 stainless prop to backtroll @ 1.5 mph? I run a 4 blade aluminum that has been many times "tweaked" to make it do what I want. If you're looking for a "fishing boat", then this is your boat, if not. like I said- - -keep looking - -- - jerr
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
BigGameBalls BigGameBalls is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrink View Post
What you need to understand about this boat is that no matter what you do to/with it, you aren't going to have a speed boat. Mine cruises 30mph @ 5k rpm and it's comfortable there. Yes, it does have the power steering. What you're looking at is a boat that's best suited to dancing (backwards) around a stump, rock, or some other abnormality on the bottom. Personally, I thiink my f115 is too big for the boat. I can only troll it down to maybe 1.8mph on a backtroll and maybe 2.3 on a good day fwd. Please know that there's a ton of variables (wind, current,etc) that are involved. I quoted a wot speed of somewhere around 40mph (gps) but that was with a 3 blade stainless prop. I don't like stainless props,who needs $300 stainless prop to backtroll @ 1.5 mph? I run a 4 blade aluminum that has been many times "tweaked" to make it do what I want. If you're looking for a "fishing boat", then this is your boat, if not. like I said- - -keep looking - -- - jerr

I'm not so worried about the motor performace (speed) wise. I do fish the biggest lakes in MN so it has to be able to get to any part of a lake like Mille Lacs but I'm not exepcting to get there at 65 mph like in my bass boat. I'm worried about the motor starting like crap, ideling poor, and smoking like a bandit! Also not having enough low end power to get 3 guys on plane on a rough day.

I'll see if the boat sits there for a while and maybe if it does I'll throw them a low ball offer that is good enough I can afford to ditch the motor in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM
BigGameBalls BigGameBalls is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I'd offer the guy $5K for the hull and trailer, and let him sell his motor to someone else.

HRG

Not a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 AM
JinxCanada's Avatar
JinxCanada JinxCanada is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGameBalls View Post
I like the hull design and the idea of a nice big wide open fiberglass tiller I just wish the motor was atleast an EFI. I'd probably be okay with it but 7700 still seems like a lot of money for a 15 year old boat with a carb motor on it.

I just let my 2004 Nitro 882 with 150 opti in mint condition and a brand new detwiler jack plate go for 12,800. After looking at what people want for some of the used boats out there I feel like I let it go too cheap.


One more question was the 1997 model rated for any more than 90hp and does it have that fancy steering? I guess a thought is I could always live with it for a while and then re power it with a more modern motor down the line.

The Warriors are nice boats..but they are definitely NOT WIDE. In fact, I'd say they are (at least the side consols) one of the narrowest boats I've seen. A big reason I got rid of mine....along with the lay out but that was a personal thing.
__________________
Hunting for my next rig....hopefully a 26ft or bigger
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
BigGameBalls BigGameBalls is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
The Warriors are nice boats..but they are definitely NOT WIDE. In fact, I'd say they are (at least the side consols) one of the narrowest boats I've seen. A big reason I got rid of mine....along with the lay out but that was a personal thing.

I figure in a tiller configuration wide is not as important. In a councel boat I think with is at the top of the list though. After boat shopping I'm quickly learinging it's tough to find a perfect boat unless you want to drop serious coin!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM
JinxCanada's Avatar
JinxCanada JinxCanada is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGameBalls View Post
I figure in a tiller configuration wide is not as important. In a councel boat I think with is at the top of the list though. After boat shopping I'm quickly learinging it's tough to find a perfect boat unless you want to drop serious coin!

Even in a tiller boat width is important because it means stability. if you are staying on small lakes then you'll be fine, but if you plan on hitting big water it's something to consider. The Warrior is a well made boat but just too narrow for my tastes. I'm not saying it's not stable....it is...just not for me.
__________________
Hunting for my next rig....hopefully a 26ft or bigger
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Focker Focker is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gravel road in Iowa
Posts: 92
Default Warrior and "Narrow"

Sorry, straying off topic, I just can't take it.
Since troy and company are, well, not a company I'll comment on their behalf.
It's not accurate to say "warriors" are narrow. The boat you had was one of the 90 series(i.e. 2090,1890)and indeed has a "narrow" 90 inch beam. Of note so do the 18 and 20 foot ranger tillers. There are other older warrior models without the 90 designation that also have a 90 in beam. There are a lot of models that have 95,96,97 in. beams. That is not narrow. Even the mighty ranger 621 is listed at 96 1/2. I sure don't think it's narrow.
Long story why they have(had) 90 in beam boats out to 20 feet in their linup, but suffice to say if had a point to it's design.
To the OP, the 10k I quoted saying they were changing hands, that was with 4 stroke engines. I'd want it for less with a 2 stroker.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Tiller Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
Sorry, straying off topic, I just can't take it.
Since troy and company are, well, not a company I'll comment on their behalf.
It's not accurate to say "warriors" are narrow. The boat you had was one of the 90 series(i.e. 2090,1890)and indeed has a "narrow" 90 inch beam. Of note so do the 18 and 20 foot ranger tillers. There are other older warrior models without the 90 designation that also have a 90 in beam. There are a lot of models that have 95,96,97 in. beams. That is not narrow. Even the mighty ranger 621 is listed at 96 1/2. I sure don't think it's narrow.
Long story why they have(had) 90 in beam boats out to 20 feet in their linup, but suffice to say if had a point to it's design.
To the OP, the 10k I quoted saying they were changing hands, that was with 4 stroke engines. I'd want it for less with a 2 stroker.
Good reply. The Warrior tiller boats were indeed designed to be narrower. A boat that would backtroll and turn well, with excellent maneuverability, give precise boat control and offer the ability to fish from each side of the boat at any seat location were just a few of the requests requests given them by a number anglers who ran tiller boats. That size beam works quite well for Minnesota style structure fishing. proof of that was the 1890 back troller was Warrior's #1 seller year after year. Another benefit is that narrower dimensions of the boat and trailer fit better in many garages. Mine included.
The Ranger 618T and 620T have the same width beam and have become extremely popular with tiller boat owners in the Midwest for those same reasons.
As a matter of fact the last time I was on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota about all I saw was Warrior and Ranger tiller boats. So many that we commented on it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 AM.