Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Marcum 825 Underwater Camera - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Slot Fish

Default Marcum 825 Underwater Camera

Looking at the Marcum 825 underwater camera system, I would appreciate any reviews or experiences you may offer. It is a fairly new product(2011) and it seems like most retailers do not have reviews posted. I have never used such a productand the input from this forum has proved beneficial in the past and I appreciate the help.

Will be fishing mostly reservoirs and Leech 3-4 time a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Minnow

Wink

Ive got 2 of the 825s and love em also have an 820 that I bought the year before. Prefer the 825s but the 820 is OK too. Love watching the fish, almost more fun than catching them.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Wallhanger

Believe you are talking about the 825 SD - SD means switchable display, meaning it shows color until the light conditions get too dark for good color viewing, and then it switches to black/white. The previous generation of Marcum cameras were the 825C (all color all the time) and the 820 (all black/white all the time).

I've been using an 825 SD for a year and I love it (they came out last year, in 2010). It's great for ice fishing and the camera panner they send with it works GREAT. I ice fish with my kids a lot and we always used to the have the camera pointed at their baits, but with the panner they have as much fun rotating it so we can see my bait on the screen from time to time too. The camera is great, good image even with not that much light in the water, and the flat panel display is great too. For ice fishing I have only used the camera inside a shelter, not outside in the daylight, so it was very easy to clearly see the display.

I also used the camera A LOT in open water this year. Several times I found interesting looking things with my side scan and used the camera to see what it was. Several times I used the camera to look for fish, or to see numbers, size, and species of fish under the boat (I fish in a league and this is allowed under the league rules). And other times I used it to see what the structure looked like that I was catching fish off. It got to the point that it was so helpful that I started leaving it in the boat all the time, only taking it out of the boat to recharge the battery. The camera is viewable in daylight --- can be a bit tough to see in bright direct sunlight but it's doable, which is great because prior to these you couldn't see them in the daylight at all unless you buried your face in a sun shield.

Like any camera, the more light you have in the water, and the clearer the water, the better your image quality will be and the farther you'll be able to see.

Cameras are fun to use, but they can be a great tool too. My open water camera use is strictly about finding spots, finding fish, or learning more about what my electronics are showing me. And for ice fishing you can learn a lot about what your flasher is showing you, how fish react to your jigging actions, what effect color changes can have ........ and you will see that you are getting A TON of finicky bites that you would never know about if you didn't see them on screen.

We've sold a bunch of 825 SDs since they came out last year ...... not just for ice fishing season, but also to open water guys all summer long. The feedback on the 825 SD has been really, really good. Hope that helps!

Last edited by hondo; 11-07-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Slot Fish

Thank You for the input, Ido believe this would be a valuable tool & alot of fun once you get the recording figured out.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

If recording is what you're after....go with a GoPro. I just started using mine, and it's incredible. Records right to an SD card, crystal clear HD images with reasonable water clarity. I mounted mine on an extending net handle to get down 6-7', and have a similar contraption rigged up with an extending snow rake handle to get me down into deeper water.

Why MarCum doesn't provide a digital output, or provide for direct recording to an SD card, is beyond me. Currently a guy has to wash that analog output through an A/D converter in a cheapo camcorder to record it.

The other great thing about the GoPro....half the price (or less!) of a MarCum camera. The Hero camera records 5 MP stills and full HD video and is currently under $250, now that the Hero 2 has hit the shelves.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM
unlogged

Pretty sure aqua views new DVR will record off any camera with RCA outputs.