Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Fiberglass boat/Plastic bunks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fiberglass boat/Plastic bunks

The question was asked but I don't think it was answered in the Ultimate bunk post. Has anyone used Ultimate or any other plastic bunks on a trailer for a fiberglass boat?? One of my winter projects this year was to replace the carpet/bunks on my trailer. Plastic is a great option ,"BUT" has anyone w/ a fiberglass boat actually replaced their bunks w/ plastic. If so....Reports...good/bad. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Wallhanger

I was going to install them, talked/chatted with a guy running the same boat as I(1850 reata). I think it was here on WC, search might pull it up, but may have been through PMs??. Said the bunks would bounce/resonate on the bottom of the hull causing vibrations. He removed them and went back to wood. From the sounds of it, the boards weren't stiff enough to hold up their own weight between the mounts and would bounce and vibrate on the hull while going down the highway.

I thought twice about it. I keep the carpet sprayed down with silicone spray it'll make it slide right off. I spray mine several times a year. Slides right off and loads like butter.

BIRDDOG
Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

I let someone sell me on the plastic bunk cap's on my Ranger 1850. Those things scratched and gouged the bottom of my boat bad enough to cost me a trip to the factory for repair. I'd stay away form them on the heaver glass hulls.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler53 View Post
I let someone sell me on the plastic bunk cap's on my Ranger 1850. Those things scratched and gouged the bottom of my boat bad enough to cost me a trip to the factory for repair. I'd stay away form them on the heaver glass hulls.
I noticed a 20' Warrior at a boat landing last fall that had plastic bunks on the trailer. I thought it looked like a good idea until I took a closer look at them and they had alot of gell coat on them. I didn't actually inspect the bottom of the boat but I have to believe it would have been in tough shape based on what the bunks looked like. Personally I would stay away from them with a glass hull. Rob
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Keeper

Default Plastic bunks

I thought I saw somewhere in an ad for plastic bunks that they were not recommeded for rivited boats. Maybe it was just a particular brand.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't do it.
The gelcoat isn't all that thick on most any glass boat.
Once you go through the gel coat, the boat can absorb water.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys, It will be new carpet for me!!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
Thanks guys, It will be new carpet for me!!
Me too. Especially since that is the more economical alternative too.