Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ice Shelter - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc63280 View Post
Ended up buying the Clam Fish Trap Voyager TXC. Can you say some assembly required.
Oh yes. I remember putting my Pro Fish together. Good times.

"Help preserve wolves, take one to the taxidermist.". Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Keeper

I recently bought a clam yukon, 85lbs. I live in Ill. I have no 4-wheeler or sled, just my two legs to pull it! I have to take stuff for my Dad & 2 kids when we go! I will be losing some weight this winter.

I have been reading reviews about the eskimo pop ups, they seem pretty good. Now I'm thinking 85lb shelter vs 30 lb shelter..... I don't like the idea of having to stake down the popup though. I do like being able to make a move easily. I have been using a suitcase style for years, I think either one popup or flipover will be a step up for me! I'm not sure what to get now. hmmm
Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Keeper

I have a Frabill unlined flip single person and last winter it was 10 degrees with me inside. I was compfy about a 10 mph wind outside. Problem I ran into was the eyelets on my ice rod kept freezing up. I would fire my Mr heater buddy on low then shut it down after about 10 minutes. this year I have purchased a Coleman sport cat. It is a whole lot less heat. Now here is the lesson.... heat is heat and your location compaired to mine make no difference unless the wind or temperature varies. If I were back on Lake of the Woods with these same temperatures I would expect the same results. If you are in colder weather and wish to conserve fuel an insulated model may be what you want. You will have to balnace out the costs. My feeling was I could always trade up if needed but seldome can you trade down. As a temporary fix you can always add heat and Long Johns are the first thing I go for. Get the best you can purchase. Checkmate
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Finished putting together the Clam. Not to bad. I would highly recommend soaking the weather stripping in hot water prior to installing it. It was way wasier.

Yamaha 200 HPDI 9.9 Yamaha

Humminbird 1198c SI

Humminbird 858c
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc63280 View Post
Finished putting together the Clam. Not to bad. I would highly recommend soaking the weather stripping in hot water prior to installing it. It was way wasier.
Marc- great tip - Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Keeper

Not really my idea...they have it in the instrustions but it made things a whole lot easier.

Yamaha 200 HPDI 9.9 Yamaha

Humminbird 1198c SI

Humminbird 858c
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

I have one of the Otter Pros and they are wonderful houses. Easy to use, set up in a minute and easy to keep warm.

When pulled behind a sled or ATV, the hitch keeps them straight and they pull easily.

For more wear on the bottom, you can add the hifax slides on the bottom of the tubs. With the cover on the top during transit, everything stays free of snow.

http://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUT...3&D=32&V=7&iss=

REW
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

its great having some many choices now.

My first one was Shappell Minuteman. Plywood base.

Anyone remember those? I still see them once in a while

at the time, they were about the only portable available

then I bought a used Fish Trap. That had a wood base too. Green fabric
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Brian,
I still have a one man flip over that was made by a coworker of mine. He had it made of wood with a nylon top. The seller did all of the wood work and carpeting. His wife did the nylon tops. I put a pair of downhill skies under it to let it pull more easily. But it is still my favorite shelter to use if I am going to be fishing by myself, whether I am actually by myself, or in a group - each of whom have their own shelter.

Even though it is enjoyable to fish next to folks when ice fishing if it is slow; I would just as soon fish in a one man house so that if something isn't working, I don't have to asks anyone if we should move.

Rather, I just flip the house open, grab the rope and tow it over to a different location. Pop a hole, or open up an old hole, flip the lid down and go back to fishing. Everything stays in the house, so no packing required when moving from hole to hole.

REW
Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brian,
I still have a one man flip over that was made by a coworker of mine. He had it made of wood with a nylon top. The seller did all of the wood work and carpeting. His wife did the nylon tops. I put a pair of downhill skies under it to let it pull more easily. But it is still my favorite shelter to use if I am going to be fishing by myself, whether I am actually by myself, or in a group - each of whom have their own shelter.

Even though it is enjoyable to fish next to folks when ice fishing if it is slow; I would just as soon fish in a one man house so that if something isn't working, I don't have to asks anyone if we should move.

Rather, I just flip the house open, grab the rope and tow it over to a different location. Pop a hole, or open up an old hole, flip the lid down and go back to fishing. Everything stays in the house, so no packing required when moving from hole to hole.

REW
Oh I have had a 1 man fish trap with the plastic bottom for many years. I had the original one with the sliding bench seat, then I upgraded to the one man with the comfy seat, the cover, the tow hitch, led lights, the whole shot lol

I was just reminising is all
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.