Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Has anyone had any issues with a roller trailer? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Well, I'll rephrase it then, IF your leaving that shallow spot, get out and remove it.
Al
bit off topic...
What do you mean by that "shallow" spot? I almost always powerload (bunk), aside from the ease factor, it's a lot quicker. When there are other people waiting to load/unload i tend to get annoyed when i see people not powerloading. I know the DNR frowns upon it. If I'm alone, no one is waiting for the ramp, and water is calm, I'll manually load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

most every ramp i use, is a concrete slab extending at least 5 foot past the end of the dock with rocks on the sides of the concrete. i can't say i have ever had issues with me or anybody else powerloading around here.
maybe some of the smaller lakes that have HP limits around here, i could see the powerloading being an issue
Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, I'll rephrase it then, IF your leaving that shallow spot, get out and remove it.
Al
Amen to that.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
bit off topic...
What do you mean by that "shallow" spot? I almost always powerload (bunk), aside from the ease factor, it's a lot quicker. When there are other people waiting to load/unload i tend to get annoyed when i see people not powerloading. I know the DNR frowns upon it. If I'm alone, no one is waiting for the ramp, and water is calm, I'll manually load.
This of course is on non concrete launches, but when you power lauch on a non concrete launch some tend to make a deeper hole where the motor kicks up the dirt and shoots it backwards, the shallow spot is where all that stuff goes to, look at many non concrete launches and you'll see it.

I've seen that same hole at the end of concrete launches also, not so much a problem unless you run the trailer wheels off the ramp and don't have decent traction.

Al
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

I'll fess up. I power load every time. Like MPower I get frustrated when people dink around with another method. When I can be loaded and dry in 2 minutes or less I don't get how it should take 5-10 minutes.

I am however aware of the hole power loading can cause. To be honest, I'd pay a fee for the right. The DNR could update the ramps for the technique.

As far as winching onto bunks. With 2 guys that's super easy and it's 100% centered unlike rollers. Not as easy as power loading but still really easy.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I'll fess up. I power load every time. Like MPower I get frustrated when people dink around with another method. When I can be loaded and dry in 2 minutes or less I don't get how it should take 5-10 minutes.

I am however aware of the hole power loading can cause. To be honest, I'd pay a fee for the right. The DNR could update the ramps for the technique.

As far as winching onto bunks. With 2 guys that's super easy and it's 100% centered unlike rollers. Not as easy as power loading but still really easy.

I hope you are not the guy that pulls in between 2 boats to load because you cant wait the extra 3 minutes it takes me not to powerload.
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
This of course is on non concrete launches, but when you power lauch on a non concrete launch some tend to make a deeper hole where the motor kicks up the dirt and shoots it backwards, the shallow spot is where all that stuff goes to, look at many non concrete launches and you'll see it.

I've seen that same hole at the end of concrete launches also, not so much a problem unless you run the trailer wheels off the ramp and don't have decent traction.

Al
The worst are the guys with roller trailers that keep the motor reved way up so the boat does`nt roll back off. If they only knew what all that stirred up mud and sand being sucked up and run thru their water pumps is doing they would winch the boat on. I wish the Minnesota DNR would stop all power loading. Wiredog
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
I hope you are not the guy that pulls in between 2 boats to load because you cant wait the extra 3 minutes it takes me not to powerload.
I've never done that. But I have given a person an earful or two if they are tying up a ramp and dinking around. Perch, if someone knows what they are doing even winching a boat on should take NO MORE THAN 5 minutes.

DINKING AROUND: (1) Having one lane tied up with a boat while the trailer is backed into another. (2) Loading or unloading gear at the dock. (3) Not knowing how to back up a trailer. (4) Not knowing how to load (power or otherwise) the boat on the trailer. (5) Working on a previously untested and non-working motor while the boat is tying up a lane at the ramp. (6) Tying up two ramps because their back up skills don't allow them to hit just one lane at the ramp.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 01-31-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I've never done that. But I have given a person an earful or two if they are tying up a ramp and dinking around. Perch, if someone knows what they are doing even winching a boat on should take NO MORE THAN 5 minutes.

DINKING AROUND: (1) Having one lane tied up with a boat while the trailer is backed into another. (2) Loading or unloading gear at the dock. (3) Not knowing how to back up a trailer. (4) Not knowing how to load (power or otherwise) the boat on the trailer. (5) Working on a previously untested and non-working motor while the boat is tying up a lane at the ramp. (6) Tying up two ramps because their back up skills don't allow them to hit just one lane at the ramp.
well that covers a lot of stuff.

Some of it that comes with experience.

Some of it is just stupid.
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

Although I'd think the wife would say I'm far from patient, over the years I've learned to be a bit more patient with people that are having trouble backing, forgot the plug, things not going well when they launch or retrieve their boat, or most of the things we have to learn, sometimes by doing them wrong at first.

I'll wait and if they ask for help, I'll try.

Ones I don't have patience for are those who decide they have to go to the bathroom/car/off to visit/change clothes or any of them other things while the boat sits blocking the launch.

You can learn on my time, somebody did while I learn, but don't take up my or others time farting around with things that should be done after or before the boat gets launched.

Hard to keep a boat on the roller trailer when the launch is steep, only way I found was to run the boat up on idle and have the person in the truck toss the winch rope out to ya.

And hope they have a good arm..

Al