Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Spinning Rod question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Minnow

Default Spinning Rod question

I use a mojo musky rod that can handle up to 3oz baits with a shimano baitcasting reel. I like the combo but love spinning rods. What types of baits/lures work best with spinning rod/reel combos. I just bought an AS3500 Avid Series® Spinning Reel and have an oldie but goldie browning spinning rod that I used for smaller species of fish. Can I put some 60lb braid on the reel and go fish? What would work best? Line and rod? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

You might want to see what line weight your reel is designed for, 65# on that reel seems a bit much maybe?

I tried lighter spinning set ups years back and found by the time I got the musky boated it was almost dead, especially during the hot summer months.
Some of the salt (?) water reels with a heavier drag capability might work, but a bait caster just seems to work so much better..good luck though..

Al
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Got the "perfect" setup in mind for you if your wanting to throw/toss those bigger "ski" baits on spinning gear that won't break the bank and will serve you well! Two different choices in reels come to mind (I've got both and love them) that will handle any size "ski" you want to play with! First choice would be a Penn "Battle" reel! I recommend the Battle BTL4000 which will hold 200 plus yds of 65# Stealth braid, or next on the list would be a Penn Sargus, SG4000 with same line capacity! The Battle lists for $99.95 and has a max drag of 13#'s and weighs 12.6 oz's. The Sargus lists for $79.95, has a max drag of 13#'s and weighs oz's so other than price, it's pretty much a push!! Both have a 6.2:1 gear ratio, the Battle has 6+1 bearings, the Sargus 5+1!

Mount either of those reels on a Shakespeare Ugly Stik UCCA110170, 7' spinning rod (3/8-3 oz) at $50 and your good to go with a spinning rig you can horse'em in green & let'em go healthy!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the input fellas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.