Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
powder paint colors after curing on two tone jigs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 AM
ksgoosekillr's Avatar
ksgoosekillr ksgoosekillr is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 239
Default powder paint colors after curing on two tone jigs

i have been doing a lot of two tone painting lately. I'm starting to notice something and I'm hoping some other users here will have some good input on this. When doing two tone jigs ill use my last pour as an example, it was a a white undercoat, a chart yellow base with hot pink on the top and orange on the bottom. You can see the pics below... well this is before the curing. After i cured the jigs the hot pink on the top turned into orange. well more of a hot pink fade to orange. My question is what colors have you guys had change on you during curing? I just made a bunch of jigs the way i wanted them only to have them change on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jigs.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	13493  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
JusJign JusJign is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 135
Default

You might try backing off the temp in you're curing oven, you might also try using a thermometer rather then what the dials says the temp is. It is very likely the top coat is blending with the base coat on a minuscule level, due to high heat putting the coating in an almost slurry like state, enabling the colors to blend a little, forming an off, or slightly different color. Another possibility is, some pigments are not as robust as others, and if by chance your cure heat is to high, our your cure time is too long you can simply be over curing them.

Best Regards,
Randy Gaines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM
bigb027 bigb027 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 128
Default

I had that same problem with the same colors. I'm thinking they just don't work together like some people said in the HG jig thread.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM
defish defish is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
i have been doing a lot of two tone painting lately. I'm starting to notice something and I'm hoping some other users here will have some good input on this. When doing two tone jigs ill use my last pour as an example, it was a a white undercoat, a chart yellow base with hot pink on the top and orange on the bottom. You can see the pics below... well this is before the curing. After i cured the jigs the hot pink on the top turned into orange. well more of a hot pink fade to orange. My question is what colors have you guys had change on you during curing? I just made a bunch of jigs the way i wanted them only to have them change on me.
There are a couple of ways you can get this color combination to work with powder paint.

1. Do the white base coat, dip the top and bottom colors, and then use a paint brush to tap the chartruese on to the middle band.

2. Do the colors the way you have been, but after applying the pink heat the jig just enough for the pink to get "glossy" (a heat gun would be the easiest way to do it.) Apply an epoxy like Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute epoxy to protect the paint instead of curing it.

I kind of like the 1st way myself because you get somewhat more "natural" transitions from one color to the other, and you don't have to do the epoxy top coat.

Good luck!

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Seaark1660 Seaark1660 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 75
Default

When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

I still like to spray paint for the 2-tones.And then use the clear for a final coat,that also gets a final cure.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?

Last edited by Seaark1660; 02-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
SaugerSlayer's Avatar
SaugerSlayer SaugerSlayer is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 119
Default

anymore i dont cure my powder paint. i kinda like that 2 ton clear epoxy. its tough as nails and puts a nice gloss on it. i also thought about adding glitter to the epoxy for a nice finish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
defish defish is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

I still like to spray paint for the 2-tones.And then use the clear for a final coat,that also gets a final cure.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?

Seaark I'm curious what are you using for your clear coat after you spray your two-tones?

As to the Harbor Freight powder, I've heard that it's "ok." Not bad, but maybe not the best and very limited for colors. Some of the best quality powder at very good prices is available from ColumbiaCoatings.com. A lot of colors available and good customer service.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
ksgoosekillr's Avatar
ksgoosekillr ksgoosekillr is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

I still like to spray paint for the 2-tones.And then use the clear for a final coat,that also gets a final cure.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?
when you bake the second and third time doesn't the base coat soften up on you? i actually use the toaster over to heat the jigs for coloring that way i can heat the entire batch, and grab a jig at a time out of the oven to color... hang them on an outside rack.. when all have been colored back into the oven they go to cure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
defish defish is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
when you bake the second and third time doesn't the base coat soften up on you? i actually use the toaster over to heat the jigs for coloring that way i can heat the entire batch, and grab a jig at a time out of the oven to color... hang them on an outside rack.. when all have been colored back into the oven they go to cure.
I also use mostly an oven for heating my jigs - including the multi colored ones. I don't fully cure them until ALL the paint has been applied. Your lures also shouldn't have any dripping or paint running unless they have WAY too much paint on them.

Try the methods I outlined on a previous post. Work with your oven temp and how long you preheat the lures - the lures should have a light coating and a glossy finish when they are removed from the powder.

Good luck.

Dan

P.S. I also keep notes for temps, heating times between coats, etc. for later reference.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
drbrand's Avatar
drbrand drbrand is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rapid City, SD, USA.
Posts: 1,044
Default

If you want a source for inexpensive surplus powder paint, try this sight. There is no minimum amount you have to buy. You can buy a pound for $2-$3.

Once you go to the sight, click on inventory catalog and then at the bottom of the catalog click on the different colors.
http://www.powdercoatings.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.