Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Some good news on crossing the border... - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Slot Fish

[quote=counterguy;1394412]. ....If anyone tells me they have never drank 2 beers and drove home they are lying. They just didn't get caught. ........

Thanks for reading this.
Jason[/quote]

I get real tired of the "everyone has done it statement".
I have never drank 2 beers and drove home.
I have never drank 2 beers in my life.
So don't say everyone else does it, so you can excuse yourself.

It is a shame how much space is used on this site relating to beer.
Can you take it, What kind to take, can you get across the border... etc.
IMHO it shows how much of a problem with drinking we have.
And yes it is a problem for all of us.

Next we can have do you drink while driving to Canada thread

bash here, I am sure there is a grammer or spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Slot Fish

[quote=we16;1394509]I get real tired of the "everyone has done it statement".
I have never drank 2 beers and drove home.
I have never drank 2 beers in my life.
So don't say everyone else does it, so you can excuse yourself.

It is a shame how much space is used on this site relating to beer.
Can you take it, What kind to take, can you get across the border... etc.
IMHO it shows how much of a problem with drinking we have.
And yes it is a problem for all of us.

Next we can have do you drink while driving to Canada thread

bash here, I am sure there is a grammer or spelling error[/quote]

Well good for you! you are a saint and a minority. I wish I walked on water too.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Keeper

Default Really???????????????

OK, first of all, I'm confused about the DUI preventing you from entering Canada. My friends and I took a motorcycle trip to Ontario in probably 2003 or '04. I had my passport along and I believe I brought my birth certificate for good measure. I had no problems entering the country. I had a DUI in 1976. If I was supposed to tell somebody about it at the border, I didn't and noone was the wiser. So, I got in and back out unscathed. When are you supposed to tell them? Is it on you to declare it? Or on them to catch you? This whole thing is mysterious to me because I didn't know it was against the law and didn't intentionally deceive anybody. If it's true (and it obviously is) that you will be turned away at the border for a law broken almost 40 yrs ago, I gotta say somebody has had their head up their @ss for a long time. That's ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Keeper

[quote=97roughneck;1394534]OK, first of all, I'm confused about the DUI preventing you from entering Canada. My friends and I took a motorcycle trip to Ontario in probably 2003 or '04. I had my passport along and I believe I brought my birth certificate for good measure. I had no problems entering the country. I had a DUI in 1976. If I was supposed to tell somebody about it at the border, I didn't and noone was the wiser. So, I got in and back out unscathed. When are you supposed to tell them? Is it on you to declare it? Or on them to catch you? This whole thing is mysterious to me because I didn't know it was against the law and didn't intentionally deceive anybody. If it's true (and it obviously is) that you will be turned away at the border for a law broken almost 40 yrs ago, I gotta say somebody has had their head up their @ss for a long time. That's ridiculous.[/quote]

You are considered "rehabilitated" if you one conviction without any other criminal convictions to go with it. If they didn't ask about a criminal record and it didn't show up in their system, you did nothing wrong. If it had come up, you should have breezed through without any hassle whatsoever.

Though we have heard many stories where this hasn't been the case which is part of the reason for the lobbying to address the current rules. Often the whole story doesn't come out at the time of the border crossing, but there certainly has been those turned away that shouldnt have been.

Your status will not change at all with the new process.
Morson, Ontario, Canada
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Wallhanger

[quote=go dart;1394448]Relax, your a border crossing guard. Leave the detective work to the pro's.[/quote]

Actually we have trained breath tech officers just like any other police department. Just for the record all CBSA Officers are Federal Peace Officer the same as the RCMP. The ONLY thing we do not enforce are Provincial traffic laws. I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you this as you are obviously a troll...but maybe others will learn from it. It's always funny when we arrest someone and they say "hey! you don't have the authority to do this or that!" I always get a good laugh at least.

Last edited by JinxCanada; 02-15-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Wallhanger

[quote=J-Man;1394472]I seriously doubt anyone with half a brain thought this would only be applied to DUI.

DUI was mentioned prominently because it was THE most common problem since security tightend. Many CBSA officers exercised discretionary authority that led to hurting the economy and reputation of Canada with little to no chance that citizens and visitors of Canada were being put at risk by some people being turned away.

There will be plenty of ways for the CBSA to botch this up on the front lines but hopefully superintendants, supervisors and other senior officials will teach their people to do their very best to be concerned about protecting the people living in and visiting the country from the kinds of people nobody would want allowed into their country.[/quote]

The inadmissibility for having a DUI is not something new. It's always been on the book as long as Impaired Driving became an Indictable offense here in Canada.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Wallhanger

[quote=prov1900;1394490]Hey guys, give this guy some credit. He already said (and was confirmed), that the people in the field are always the last to know. As a law enforcement officer, Jinx makes really good points. The border guys aren't out to ruin people's fishing trips, I think they could care less about where you are going fishing, etc. Their job IS to protect their country from the wrong elements, i.e. murderers, rapists, etc. There ARE alot bigger problems out there facing both countries, then fisherman who like to drink a few. Can't blame the border guys for what they do. Just a job, but they are the first line (and sometimes the last line) of defense.

It stinks when we make statements that we believe are right at the time...and I know I have done it...even on here that were WAY wrong. Embarrasing. Jinx is right, until that becomes policy. News reports don't necessarily make it so...look at our own news.

On the flip side, for tourism sake, I hope those news releases are correct.[/quote]

Thank you. It's nice to hear a normal voice of reason on this board from time to time. I don't make any of the rules. I've only tried to help people get a better understanding of things. I'll probably just stop and let them learn on their own. Thank you for your words though.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

This is awesome news for the tourism industry. It'll be a great topic at the sport shows coming up.

Let's give Jinx some credit for being on here. While I don't always agree with his views, it brings a lot to the board to have someone from the border posting. Some of his posts may seem harsh, but I think he's only being honest to what he believes is right. No need for everyone else to jump on him for it.

On the important issue at hand... this will help the tourism industry almost immediately. I also hope that it becomes a black and white issue. There's a lot of confusion on how things are going to be handled at the border if you have a minor offense. I will add to this comment by saying be polite, patient, and helpful when crossing the border either way. One negative comment or disrespectful gesture will make the "discretion of the officer" less likely to be helpful to you.

Fish Canada!!!!!