Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs Verado - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Gordon Sumner

I was just reading some reports from guys that test drove a boat with the new Merc 150 four stroker on it. They were blown away by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Keeper

Default one nice feature

The V-Rod has a troll mode - set to 550RPM at lowest speed......maybe you can get smart gauges with new four stroke as well?

Not much more in terms of maintenance - same: oil/plugs/winterization... just cost slightly more on the V-rod

Those with bad experiences will never go back and continue to plague this site with issues - some of us have had zero issues with said motors over 6 years now.......again pick the one motor that your dealer is best certified to service
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Slot Fish

Go with the new 4-stroke. You'll save yourself some money over the v-rod. The new 4-stroke is a lot lighter than the vrod. You can get the SC1000 smartcraft gauges for the new 4-stroke. I had a 200 L4 Vrod for two years and it was trouble free except for a bad fuel float about a year into owning it. I loved the engine, but on my new boat, I went with a 200 opti instead. Remember, not every Mercury dealer is certified to work on the Verados. I'm guessing it will be easier to fnd someone to work on the new 4-stroke if you do have issues with it. My theory is that Mercury will slowly phase out the L4 Verado. It's a nice motor, but I think it is just too heavy for most boats that take a 150.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big Mercury fan and have always ran them but when you talk 150 4 strokes, the Yamaha is one heck of a strong running and dependable motor. They will outrun most two strokes on top end and are rock-solid dependable. I've got a coouple fishing buddies who have those 150 Yammies, they are outstanding.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

I just did a spec comparison between between the Merc 150 and YamF150- which might help in this discussion (I intentionally left out the Vrod) Also, Merc says the 150 is not "all that new" just new to public, as they have be running this motor for about 3 years in on water testing so it would have all the bugs worked out before it went on the market.

Merc 150
Displ Br x Stk rpm gears Altntr weight
183ci 102x92mm 5000/5800 1.92:1 60amp 455/20in 464/25in

(note the weight of 25in shaft is estimated because Merc does not list it but probably pretty close based on some research, also Merc just shows the max rpm range not what rpms it takes to get 150hp as Yam shows)

YamF150
Dipl Br x Stk rpm gear Altntr weight
162.8ci 94x96.2 5000/6000 2.00:1 35amp 480/20in 491/25in

(Yam shows 150hp at 5500rpm which is below 6000 max rpm)

Last edited by ozarkeyes; 02-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry for how my comparison post looks all jammed together, tried to fix it but still came out that way.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

I received a very nice presentation on the new Merc 150hp 4 stroke at the Miami Boat Show. The Merc rep said this new engine will cannibalize sales of both the V rod and the Opti. According to the Merc rep, most people will find the V rod too expensive compared to this new 150hp. engine. Because in the public's mind there is a perception that 4 stroke is better than 2 stroke, people will buy this engine over the Opi because it is similar in weight and about the same price.
When I asked him to compare this new engine to the Yami 150hp. he claimed that this new engine has much better corrosion protection, a better mounting system when attaching to the transom, a much more powerful alternator, more cubic inches, a simpler valve train, and a more robust lower unit.
The Yami 150 is bullet proof.
Time will tell if this new Merc holds up as well as the Yami
Miami Vice.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Wallhanger

Given Mercury's history of not backing up their defective new offerings, you should avoid any newly introduced Mercury for at least 3 years till you know they aren't doing the newly introduced Optimax Powerhead eating trick.

Personally, after getting completely screwed by Mercury and their joke of an idea of "customer service" and "warranty" and "quality", I will NEVER buy another black motor.

I do have to admit, I know nothing of how Yamaha's warranty claim works, because my two 2008 Yamahas have needed nothing.
But that's a good thing, right?

Last edited by Esoxchaser; 02-25-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Not A Merc Hater Or Merc Owner

Default O. K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I'm thinking Rich took the first

And to be honest with you. Until I feel I've got $1,000 of satisfaction out of Merc I'm going to blast them every chance i get.
Well at least we know your agenda. Like it or not, that does temper what you say to the rest of us.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowz View Post
Thinking of getting a new boat and am looking at the new Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs 150 HP Verado. We do a lot of big motor trolling and am wonder which one to get, and why. Thanks...Greg
It's a tough decision, given you said about doing quite a bit of trolling with the big engine. The Verado is a touch quieter at idle, and you have the option of the electro-hydraulic steering which is very nice. The Verado will likely be a bit faster out of the hole, but will probably use more fuel. With all the options the Verado will be more expensive to purchase.

In testing that Tracker did with a Verado 150 HP and the new FourStroke 150 HP rigged on Targa 18 WT's, the new FourStroke 150 was actually slightly faster at full throttle, and there was not much noise difference between the two engines at WOT. The Verado 150 was stronger out of the hole, but not by much. I know the guys that ran both engines came away very impressed with the new FourStroke 150, and unless you decide that you really need the premium options like steering that you can get with a Verado, I'd say the new FourStroke 150 would be a solid choice.

Lighter and stronger than the competition, Mercury is going to sell a lot of these engines.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13