Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
trailer pulls hard - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Wallhanger

Nosebleed,
Here's an experiment worth trying. Since you have disc brakes, you should have a reverse-lockout solenoid, probably on the back of the actuator. This is powered by the reverse lights, to prevent braking when backing-up. If you have a 4-pin flat adaptor for your truck, use that, and make a terminal that will plug into the 5th (blue?) pin on the trailer plug. Power it up via the cigarette ligther or some 12V DC source, once you make sure the actuator is pulled forward completely, and try a downhill test without brakes at all.

Keeping the reverse-lockout solenoid powered all the time will prevent the brakes from actuating. Maybe this test will help isolate if it's a rolling resistance problem, or the brakes dragging.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Nosebleed,
Here's an experiment worth trying. Since you have disc brakes, you should have a reverse-lockout solenoid, probably on the back of the actuator. This is powered by the reverse lights, to prevent braking when backing-up. If you have a 4-pin flat adaptor for your truck, use that, and make a terminal that will plug into the 5th (blue?) pin on the trailer plug. Power it up via the cigarette ligther or some 12V DC source, once you make sure the actuator is pulled forward completely, and try a downhill test without brakes at all.

Keeping the reverse-lockout solenoid powered all the time will prevent the brakes from actuating. Maybe this test will help isolate if it's a rolling resistance problem, or the brakes dragging.

HRG
If you have the flat 4 adaptor, just take it off, Use the straight flat 4 connector and plug it in backwords of how it should be. Turn your headlights on and the reverse lockout is now being powered by your running lights.

I cant count how many times i've ran down the highway @ 65 with my reverse lights on my trailer on.

Not good for the lockout solenoid though im sure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

Put a good tight cover on it. I get 3-4 more mpg's pulling my 620 with one on. I have done this experiment many times. It makes a big difference.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Nosebleed,
You can level with us.
The number one reason that you don't want to drive 50 mph on your drive is that you don't like to drive that speed.

There are plenty of vehicles on freeways that drive 50 mph and as long as they stay in the right lane get along just fine.

From the way that you have your vehicle rigged, you likely haven't seen 50 mph on the open road in years. Perfectly fine.

But, just drive your rig at 50 mph for a couple hundred miles - topping the tank before and after and I think you would really find the mileage results surprising.

Also, remember, you don't have to drive on the freeway, especially if you are driving 50 mph.

When my wife and I take trips in the RV, we generally try to drive the Non freeway routes. We like to enjoy the view and take our time. So, we generally drive 50-55 when taking these secondary roads to our destination. It is surprising how much there is to be seen by taking the back roads.

Take care
REW
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Wallhanger

You lollygag along at 50 on the freeway in my neck of the woods and they will see if they can help you along a little quicker, giving you a push with some fast moving lead.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Esox,
Actually they won't.

As long as you are driving above 45, you are legal on the road.
Stay in the right lane and you are good to go.

Are you an irritant to other drivers by driving at that speed? Of course you are. Can you legally and safely do it - i.e. drive at 50 mph? Of course you can. Just stay in the slow lane and do your thing.

When folks say that they need to keep up with traffic, they are simply saying that they want to drive faster.

But, do what is right for you and yours. But, when you are sailing along at 75 and 80, don't ask us why you are getting poor gas mileage.

Good luck and above all - drive and tow safely - however you have to drive and tow to make that happen.

REW
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Wallhanger

REW is correct. Driving 45-50 on the interstates will greatly improve your gas mileage while towing. And you will be surprised at how friendly everyone else around you becomes. I'm sure quite a few of them will honk and wave as they fly by. They'll probably wave with only one finger though....
Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
If you have the flat 4 adaptor, just take it off, Use the straight flat 4 connector and plug it in backwords of how it should be. Turn your headlights on and the reverse lockout is now being powered by your running lights.
Ned, a solid suggestion when needed, but I was hoping he'd test-tow the rig with the turn signals and brake lights working,,,,,,,
HRG
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

When I made the suggestion to give the slower driving a try to validate mileage, I really figured that most folks would take their rigs off of the freeways and drive back roads or two lane roads with little traffic when driving below 65 or 70.

It is just common sense and common courtesy.

Above all, drive safely and with common sense.

Take care
REW
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

apples to oranges but I have an Avalanche, which seeing you are GM tech and ASE Master (me to, although I let some certs expire, I'm done doing that) you would be familiar with. I figured I'd give you my data with a 5.3 liter.

Truck alone 62-73 mph for 90 miles, regular trip to cabin 15.8-17.2mpg average. If I keep it 55-65, which is the legal limit, half freeway half two lane I can get 19.8 ish, have had low 20-21mpg.
Truck with 17' lund 13.5-14.5 mpg, same with new 186GL. Usually also go 62-72 towing, only went the limit once or twice empty to see what it would do. Cover on the 17' adds maybe 1-2 mpg, haven't towed GL with cover.
All stock truck, LTZ with 20's. For what it is worth, never looked at ratio, never cared but I would guess 3.73?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.