Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Tandem Axle Trailer Pros & Cons? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Minnow

Default Tandem Axle Trailer Pros & Cons?

Have an opportunity to upgrade to a tandem axle trailer. Weight is not an issue with the single axle. So, the reason I am considering this is not based on weight requirements. This trailer will have brakes. The price difference between the single axle and the tandem axle with brakes is minimal that's why I am considering the tandem axle.

Most of my fishing trips are 1 to 1 /12 hour drives. 3 or 4 times per year make longer trips ( 4 hours or more).

Would like to hear from those who have had experience with tandem axle trailers, both pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default Tandem axel trailers

I have my first one. Safety is the big issue. If you need to spot the trailer by hand it will be more difficult. If you run toll roads the expense will be more. Long term maintaince, tires, brakes will be higher. I like mine and would feel less safe now after having the tandem vs single.

Hope this helps

Good Luck in your decision.

My Dad always said
"When everything else fails read the directions"
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

To each his own but if the weight of the Boat, Motor, Fuel and everything stored in your boat does not require a tandem axle trailer I say stay with single axle. The tandem axle will have more maitainence issues. Such as 4 tires to buy, 4 wheels to maintain with bearings, grease, Etc. As far as brakes go I have no need for brakes on my single axle. I guess it depends on if you are trying to pull with smaller than average vehicle.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

have had them both, tandems seem to tow nicer, but are difficult to move around your yard or garage by hand, much harder. On the road if you blow a bearing you can limp to the nearest town for help. My opinion if weight is not an issue stick with the single.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

After having both, if I would not have to move my trailer by hand - ever - I would get the tandem trailer for anything in the 18.5 foot and up boats. I know it's overkill on 18 foot boats, but the ride when your on the road is so much better.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I like the tandems much better than single axle trailers.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

I wanted a tandem trailer but I've got to move my boat by hand in the garage. So single axle it was.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown
Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Minnow

Let me add some details. The difference to move to the tandem over a single axle with brakes is $500.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

I've had both. On the boat I own now, it came with a single axle. Well some years back on some lonely stretch of highway, I blew the tire on the drivers side. I pulled over as far as I could, next to a steep drop off. As I changed the tire, cars and semi's were whizzing by my rear at 65 mph. Scarey as all get out. I swore I would never have that happen again. As soon as we got home, I ordered a tandem, and other then pushing it around by hand, have never looked back. My advice, get the tandem, its will worth it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the responses, just type of input I was looking for.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Wallhanger

You didn't say how big the boat was so I will assume it is about 18 ft. That is generally the dividing line. As most have pointed out, the single axle takes less maintenance. The tandem can't be pushed around easily by hand. A tandem will ride a little smoother, but pull a little harder. If you get a flat on a tandem, you can keep going until you get to a safe place to pull over. (you can do that with a single too, but you may ruin the rim)

With all that said, I would stay with a single axle if possible.

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.