Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Most unusual walleye catches - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Keeper

This last fall on Lac Seul I was reeling in a walleye and got caught up in some old line in the lake at some point while trolling. I brought the fish in the boat along with a big mess of line. When I made a couple twists here and there, I noticed something interesting. I looked at it and realized the line on my spinner rig broke, but was so tangled with the line I picked up in the water and my sinker that it all stayed together. So I brought a walleye in the boat on a hook that wasn't actually attached to my line anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Last fall on Lac Seul

One of our guys had a very nice Shimano and St. Croix rod come out of his rod holder when he moved to another spot miles away. Got to the spot and that rod & reel combination was gone.

Next day one of the other boats in our group was fishing roughly within a mile of the same area and caught the lost rod and reel while jigging with a Sonar.

What are the odds of catching that particular rod and reel and it being caught by one of our own boats?

Hey Mike, did you put a little extra in the offering plate when you got home?

Pooch
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Keeper

I was jigging for walleye with a tail hooked minnow on a lindy rig. We were on Eagle Lake in Vermillion Bay. I feel the tell tail tap and set the hook,as I reel in I feel nothing so I figure I lost it. To my surprise I ended up with this, lip hooked on my line.
Any Bigger.jpg
Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Minnow

I was jigging for walleyes on lake wisconsin and hook something and it move side to side it didn't fight like a walleye when it surface we netted a nice tri-fold wallet nothing of value left in it though
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lac Seul Loon

Drifting with a bottom bouncer/minnow, got a good bite, the line starts coming toward the surface, I said it must be a good smallie. Turned out to be a loon, tried to follow it for a while, it eventually broke the line, but was still tangled and could not fly. Never could get close enough to do anything, hope it survived. The camp owner said it is very dangerous to bring a loon into the boat, they are big, strong, and every stab wound you get will become infected.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Had a 20inch pike jump 2 feet out of the water to hit a lure hanging off the end of a rod. When I was a teenager in Minnesota I was casting a minnow on a bobber off the end of a pier. A seagull swooped in as I was casting and took off flying with the line. He eventually got off after a coiple of minutes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Keeper

10 year son an I fishing Lac Suel with lindy rigs. We both had one on...double!

His came in first so I netted it and noticed another walleye close to his, a bit confused thinking it was mine but my line is out towards the back of the boat, I netted it as well. Then realized the second fish was not mine, mine was still in the water. Got mine up (third walleye) and netted it also.

My son ended up hooking one walleye and then wrapped a second up in the lindy somehow. Mine was a normal hook up.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Keeper

Was fishing with a friend in Canada one day and my friend was bit off. Happens all the time and we thought nothing of it......just another northern bite-off. Got back to camp and while cleaning fish I found his jig in a walleye I kept. So I gave it back to him.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Ditto the loon!

Two years ago I had a loon take my minnow and spinner. I didn't even now he was in the area. He came up out of the water and threw the (barbless) hook. Sat back down on the water and literally glared at me!

I'm not sure who was more shocked, the loon or my wife and me! I'd almost forgotten that little episode.

We also catch a lot of old wads of line that were lost to snags. Sometimes a spinner rig. Most are always about "gone" to corrosion. Have also caught metal and nylon stringers, but no fish or remains of fish on them.

Have also caught another lost jig. Last year caught one through the jig eyelet. That was sort of a long shot.

With all the "stuff" that we accidentally catch, just how much old fishing gear is actually just laying on the bottom of any given lake. There surely must be a huge amount of lost gear on the bottom of these lakes. Especially the popular areas.

Pooch
Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Smile

Last year one of our group had a brand new rod and reel. We hid it and presented him with a Barbie rod and reel. We told him he had to catch one walleye at least 18" before we would be able to locate his new rod and reel. The first day he caught 3 walleyes over 18" on the Barbie pole...we surrendered his new rig to him immediately.

Another day, my son hooked a seagull...long cast, bird swooped down and took it out of mid air. We got the gull into the boat, folded down its wings, removed the hook and let it fly away with no apparent damage.

Other son broke off on a northern when fishing with a dare devil...he proceeded to cast and cast, finally hooked the northern again, took out both lures and released the pike.

Hooked and landed an old rod/reel. No one in sight, so we motored back to our fishing partners and started to fish. Pretended to hook into a good one, then "lost" the fish; swore profusely and threw the old rod and reel into the lake next to their boat. Good laugh.

I love Canada.