Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Drift Sock - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Keeper

REW, thanks for that link. Makes a lot of sense. The one part I didn't quite understand was the retrieval process without unhooking one side.

"Go to the short end of the rope and begin to pull in your bags. Be sure both loops are fastened to the cleats, so there's no loose end to deal with."

What is the "short end of the rope"? I'm probably just dense, but if each bag is the same distance from the cleat what am I pulling on to retrieve?

Thanks,
KT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

My bags use a small line at the rear which you use to dump them, when retrieving.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Keeper

Specifically looking for info on how you retrieve the bags when you have them deployed using the under keel method for trolling (withiut unhooking them from the midship cleats) as in REW's post. My assumption is that you have to get them up and over the bow, just not sure how that is accomplished or if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Thanks,
KT
Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Minnow

Default Put motor in neutral-

...Pull in bags at leisure!Use the ropes.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

I carry several drifts socks in my boat...never know how hard the wind is going howl. Usually throw theit bigger one off the bow and a smaller one towards the back, this helps keep the boat drifting straight. I use a military parachute when its real windy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MILITARY-...item20c2fbfc7c.
This thing really puts the brakes on my 2025.

Last edited by eyecatcher01; 03-03-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Keeper

I think the key is having a couple of different sizes. Depending on the wind and current. I troll exactly that way with my boat and you do have to watch the steering a bit more. Ive thought about a trolling plate but not sure if I want to drill holes into my new motor just yet.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Slot Fish

I have two 24 inch socks on my 1725 Lund Pro Guide with a 60 hp Yamaha and can use either 1 or 2 off the back when trolling and really slow the outboard down. I also use 2 socks when drifting, one off the bow and one off the stern which allows me to drift with the side of the boat to the wind giving both myself and whoever is fishing with me to have the whole side of the boat to fish. Also use one on the bow when backtrolling and it really helps control the swing of the boat.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Keeper

Default Yo REW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTroller View Post
REW, thanks for that link. Makes a lot of sense. The one part I didn't quite understand was the retrieval process without unhooking one side.

"Go to the short end of the rope and begin to pull in your bags. Be sure both loops are fastened to the cleats, so there's no loose end to deal with."

What is the "short end of the rope"? I'm probably just dense, but if each bag is the same distance from the cleat what am I pulling on to retrieve?

Thanks,
KT
REW, are you able to answer this?

Thanks much!

KT
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Minnow

Default the short end

The short end refers to the end that you tied the loop in.

From the centerline of the boat to the end of the rope - that end is shorter than the other end.

Basically, disconnect the long end (non-looped end), then disconnect the loop from your cleat, and pull them in. As you are pulling, you should be able to easily empty the bags.

now - mind you - this is all non-tested hypothesis - but i think it sounds pretty good..

anyone ever actually use this system?

thanks,
rook
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Slot Fish

I also use drift socks as most of you have said but there is also 1 other reason everyone should have a good sized one on your boat even if you dont like to use them for fishing and would use a trolling plate or some other means to control your boat. I spent a tour in the USCG and can tell you countless stories of (if you had one this would not have happened)
It seems our boats want to break down when the wind and waves pick up if this happens take a drift sock and put it out the front of the boat with a long lead on it as it will allow the front of your boat to ride up and down without holding it down and thus will keep your bow facing into the seas and prevent your boat from going sidways in the waves or turning stern first and waves coming over the back and swamping your boat which is usally the lowest part of your boat. this can bye you a long time riding out the seas till help can get to you. saftey first and fishing second remember you can always fish another day if you come back alive.
I thank God every day for our freedom and for our Armed Forces, Pray for their safety each day and thank them for their selfless time and sacrifice to our country. Without them where would our nation be? THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. ~Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935