Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
looking at zero turns - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Keeper

Default scag

Love my Scag Freedom Z 48"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I mow 3.1 acres, mostly open and flat but I do have about 200 trees with about half of those in rows near the edge.

20 years ago when I first moved to this house, I had a Craftsman 5 speed 36" 8 hp mower. I spent three hours mowing every night and couldn't get done in the five weekdays. My neighbors all had bigger mowers with hydrostatic drives, etc.

Got rid of the Sears mower and bought a JD LX186 48" 17 hp Kawasaki lawn tractor mower with hydrostatic drive. Mow time dropped to 6 hrs. Got the snowblower and used the mower year around.

After many hours on the LX186, I bought a JD zeroturn Z445 (has Parker wheel motors) with a 23 hp Kaw motor and a 54" deck.

After 5 full seasons of mowing, I have 165 hrs on the hour meter so I'm running about about 35 hrs per year. My mow time went down to well under 2 hrs.

Price on the new mower was almost the same as on the tractor 20 years ago (without the blower), not even counting inflation. The old mower could mow at 3 mph, the new one runs at 8 mph and does a better job in the turns.

Now I leave the snowblower on the tractor year round (JD's design is great, it only takes about 15 minutes to take it on or off but I'm lazy). It got one hour of use this year.

Both mowers us the same battery so I just move it between them in the fall and spring.

Last edited by VernH; 03-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

hey guys, OP here...

We are finally getting somewhere with the biddingon the new house. Its to the point now where we are willing to pay when she wants for the house but we are just trying to get her down every last bit.

So, I found a brand new left over simplicty zero turn for $3000 even.... 3 year warranty to boot. Its got alot more features compared to the cub cadet, which was the same price...

again I am partial to the simplcity as I grew up on one that ran great for a 20yr old machine! BUT the Gravely intriuges me as well since they are made right down the road here in WI and theres nothign better than supporting local jobs/economy... I beleive they are an airens company? and I love my airens snowblower!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlund View Post
hey guys, OP here...

We are finally getting somewhere with the biddingon the new house. Its to the point now where we are willing to pay when she wants for the house but we are just trying to get her down every last bit.

So, I found a brand new left over simplicty zero turn for $3000 even.... 3 year warranty to boot. Its got alot more features compared to the cub cadet, which was the same price...

again I am partial to the simplcity as I grew up on one that ran great for a 20yr old machine! BUT the Gravely intriuges me as well since they are made right down the road here in WI and theres nothign better than supporting local jobs/economy... I beleive they are an airens company? and I love my airens snowblower!
Yes Gravely and Ariens one and the same. Pick your color, orange or red. I went orange to match my snowblower. Good choice!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 AM
SPANKY 1

Default Zero turn

HUSTLER was the frist company that made "zero turns". VERY well built.
GRASS HOPPER has a good model & they offer LOTS of attachments, LEAF BLOWERS, SNOW REMOVAL STUFF ETC.

HUSTLER ( a few years ago )was the fastest which only means travel from one point to another would be fast, but u could also cut fast if your lawn & your body could handle it.

We bought a New Holland for my father-in-laws cottage & I would buy any other style than a zero turn. Cuts fast & we have it set up so there is now trimming..

GOOD LUCK!