Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Mercury 60 T or Etec 60 T - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

I have the 2006 Merc 4-stroke 50 on a 16' Alumacraft. It has been a great motor so far. Yes, built in China, but it appears Merc put an effective quality control system in that plant. The Merc 60 is the same motor without a restrictor plate in the intake system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 2003 60hp merc 4 stroke EFI tiller on a 2003 Lund Pro Angler 16. It is a great motor, no complaints at all.

"All that we call human historyŚmoney, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slaveryŚ[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy."

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

C.S. Lewis
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

Default 60 merc

From what I have read and heard if you are going to be doing much trolling you should likely go with the Merc.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Wallhanger

Yea I`m thinking a four cylinder mercury 60 would be more enjoyable than a 2 cylinder Etec 60.

Them are big pistons for a 60 horse 2 cylinder.
I had the old Johnson 50 two stroke and it idled rough, but it was a good motor just the same.

The hands that build the motor have little to do with quality.
Engineering and quality control dictates quality.
China turns out quality products by global companys. The generic Chinese companys turn out junk.

I think there`s nothing wrong with Mercury building in China for the Chinese market.
They should build in America for the American market.

I haven`t locked on to anything yet and I`ll be looking time is on my side.
I think Mercury builds a fine motor.

I have a 10 year old Johnson 70 that has been just about flawless.

I second guess myself all the time.

The 10 year old Johnson is a 40 year old design, great back in it`s day.

Last edited by whofan; 03-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Keeper

I upgraded my 05 50hp ETEC to a 2010 60hp ETEC. I upgraded due to my personal experience with the 50hp. My boat is rated for 60hp max and it came new with a 50hp. I cannot recall any issues within the 5 years that I had it. No recalls, no downtime just turn the key and go. Some issues with boats motors are quality control or just a fluke. As far as me spending money on a new motor I was going to check on the Honda but the dealer assured me the lower ends on the Honda would not hold up as good as the ETEC. So I chose to go with a prooven track record. There is no maintenace on them. I do change my lower end gear oil, and replace spark plugs once a year just for my personal satisfaction. I also have my readings from my engine on my HDS-7 which saved me quite a bit of money instead of buying extra gages.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Keeper

whofan,

I have owned 2-60hp Merc tillers, a 2002 and a 2006 and both never gave me any problems but there was 2 things I hated about them. One, the trolling speed was too fast. Two, the hole shot is horrible almost embarassing and those 2 things I could not stand. You can prop the **** out of them and then you will hit the rev limiter. I was hoping by 2006 they had those things resolved and the did not, maybe it's better now but I doubt it.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Both dealers that have the Etec and Mercurys seem to push a little bit harder in favor of the Etec.
They either truely believe Etec is better or they make more money off Etecs?
This is a bit of the four vs two stroke thing.
I have other out of town dealers I`m going to look at also, so Yamaha and Honda could be thrown into the mix as well.
I`m not necessarly looking to only buy new.
As spring draws nearer My options are sure to grow in the used market.

Last edited by whofan; 03-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

You should also check out the tiller handles. Since you're going to holding onto it the whole time you run the boat, I think this is a big deal. I've compared both the Yamaha and Evinrude handles and the Yamaha is much much nicer IMHO. I haven't seen the Merc Big Tiller handle or the Honda handle used on their 60, but they both look very nice as well and my guess is that they are right up there with the Yamaha handle when it comes to features and ergonomics.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Wallhanger

Apples to apples I`d go with Yamaha then Honda then Evinrude then Mercury.
Knowing all along Suzuki is as good if not better.
Honda is tops but an under dog.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Slot Fish

The twin cylinder would keep me away from the etec. Merc honda or suzuki would be my choice. Compare the weights of them

Last edited by craptacular; 03-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.