Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
What to look for in a aftermarket (mag style) trailer wheel? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default What to look for in a aftermarket (mag style) trailer wheel?

A buddy of mine is reconditioning his trailer and wants to buy all the wheels/tires off my Shoreland'r. UPGRADE TIME! I can finally get rid of those nasty looking gray steel wheels and marginal tires for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing and safer. But...

What and where do I look for aftermarket trailer wheels? I'd like to match the wheels on my truck but will truck/automotive wheels work on a trailer?

I know... Seems a bit superficial but if you can, what the heck... right?

Any advice on new wheels? Aluminum? Steel? Unobtainium?
NPAA #713
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Moose,
Absolutely.
Take your boat trailer into your favorite tire and wheel shop and buy the exact matching wheel for your trailer that you would like.

Any wheel that is sized to hold the size tires on your trailer that matches the bolt pattern on your trailer will work just fine.

Take care
REW
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Moose,
If you do switch to Mag style wheels, be sure to wash and wax the wheels after every time that you put the trailer into the water.
Do, it on both sides of each wheel. This will help minimize the corrosion that always happens with wheels that are put into the water all of the time.

You might do some research on mag wheels and corrosion in water immersion.

There have been some recent posts about mag trailer wheels and their short - nice looking life - due to corrosion.

Then, do the same thing for chrome plated steel wheels. You might find a big advantage - one way or the other when it comes to using a particular wheel for use on a trailer that is underwater frequently.

Good luck
REW
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Wallhanger

I replaced my steel wheels with this 5-spoke "Star" model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-14-5x4-...12f80d&vxp=mtr

This place has a bunch of different styles to look at. http://www.trailer-wheels.com/14x55-...TW_d_GB0445545

HRG
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

If you do change go with Aluminum! Don't go with chrome unless you want to clean after every outing. Chrome will corrode and will loose their balance within a couple of years without extreme care. Take it from somone who knows. This is why you see Chrome "Clad" becoming so popular on cars, trucks, etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/Chrome_Clad_Wheels.html

rew

Last edited by REW; 03-19-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

If you are looking to match your truck wheels but not break the bank at the dealer, look at transwheel.com. They sometimes have very good prices on reconditioned wheels etc. They look like or better than new, we used them at the auto dealership all the time for replacements and when people scuffed up a nice new rim on a curb or whatever.