Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Propman - hook a brother up with a recommendation - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
rook-eye slayer's Avatar
rook-eye slayer rook-eye slayer is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 42
Default Propman - hook a brother up with a recommendation

Hi guys,

Need to get a little help with prop selection here.

Currently running a 2005 Merc 115hp 4-stroke.

Manual states min WOT: 5,000rpm
manual states max WOT: 6,000rpm

Current prop setup:
13-1/4" x 17p

At max RPM I am running at 5,000rpm and 35mph (on GPS). The motor is mounted to a 2005 Lowe FM175 (17.5' deep v-aluminum). That is with two adults, no fishing gear, and 15 gallons of fuel. Motor is trimmed properly, not certain what hole the motor is mounted in.

Any recommendations either for pitch or OD? Would like to operate a bit closer to the 6,000rpm range when throttle is wide open.

Thanks,
Rook

Last edited by rook-eye slayer; 04-07-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: updated information
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
propmann's Avatar
propmann propmann is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brainerd, MN.
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rook-eye slayer View Post
Hi guys,

Need to get a little help with prop selection here.

Currently running a 2005 Merc 115hp 4-stroke.

Manual states min WOT: 5,000rpm
manual states max WOT: 6,000rpm

Current prop setup:
13-1/4" x 17p

At max RPM I am running at 5,000rpm and 35mph (on GPS). The motor is mounted to a 2005 Lowe FM175 (17.5' deep v-aluminum). That is with two adults, no fishing gear, and 15 gallons of fuel. Motor is trimmed properly, not certain what hole the motor is mounted in.

Any recommendations either for pitch or OD? Would like to operate a bit closer to the 6,000rpm range when throttle is wide open.

Thanks,
Rook
When you get a chance check motor height. You want your cavitation plate even to acouple inches above the bottom of boat. If you can raise it it usually will give you more rpms and better performance. You may also want to try a 15 pitch also. to gain some more rpms.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Shotgun Shotgun is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SW Iowa
Posts: 257
Default For Comparison

Same motor on a 1700 (17.5 ft) Lund Fisherman. Three guys, fishing gear and 27 gallons of fuel - with a 17 degree prop, boat trimmed up, 5800 rpm puts me in the area of 40-42 mph GPS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 22,212
Default

Rook,
What is the altitude of the waters where you run your rig?

REW
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
rook-eye slayer's Avatar
rook-eye slayer rook-eye slayer is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 42
Default couple pictures, and a few more questions, and maybe a response

Hi guys,

thanks for the help, it's truly appreciated.

OK - here goes.

REW - I'm at whatever sealevel Minneapolis, MN is at (or within 100ft)

I've included a couple pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with as far as bottom of boat to anti-cavitation plate differences.

I am also looking at the water level line and thinking the motor is too low. When I put the throttle down, the back end of the boat acts like it is getting "sucked" into the lake and it takes a bit for the boat to get on plane.

I bought a 15p prop and am going to try that this weekend, but am looking for recommendation on the motor height.

In the pictures, the boat is level bow to stern, and the motor is level front to back. Measurements are from the garage floor.

From the floor to the bottom of the anti-cavitation plate is just a touch under 17". From the floor to the bottom of the "v" on the boat is just a touch over 17".

The motor is in the top holes.

Do I need to raise the motor up a couple holes?

Thanks again guys - the help is truly appreciated.

-Rook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000255.jpg (83.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000257.jpg (58.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000258.jpg (311.8 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
propmann's Avatar
propmann propmann is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brainerd, MN.
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rook-eye slayer View Post
Hi guys,

thanks for the help, it's truly appreciated.

OK - here goes.

REW - I'm at whatever sealevel Minneapolis, MN is at (or within 100ft)

I've included a couple pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with as far as bottom of boat to anti-cavitation plate differences.

I am also looking at the water level line and thinking the motor is too low. When I put the throttle down, the back end of the boat acts like it is getting "sucked" into the lake and it takes a bit for the boat to get on plane.

I bought a 15p prop and am going to try that this weekend, but am looking for recommendation on the motor height.

In the pictures, the boat is level bow to stern, and the motor is level front to back. Measurements are from the garage floor.

From the floor to the bottom of the anti-cavitation plate is just a touch under 17". From the floor to the bottom of the "v" on the boat is just a touch over 17".

The motor is in the top holes.

Do I need to raise the motor up a couple holes?

Thanks again guys - the help is truly appreciated.

-Rook
Raise it up one at a time until prop doesn't grip the water anymore and then drop it a hole. You find you can only raise your engine so high with a aluminum prop before it blows out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
jkonop's Avatar
jkonop jkonop is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 510
Default

Rook...I am just happy you brought another Merc to Lake Wissota, there are a few of us on this site and on that a lake. WI Pride lives on.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
rook-eye slayer's Avatar
rook-eye slayer rook-eye slayer is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonop View Post
Rook...I am just happy you brought another Merc to Lake Wissota, there are a few of us on this site and on that a lake. WI Pride lives on.
JK - Wissota is great during the week. Frankly - i'd love it if the skiers and tubers went elsewhere - but that'll never happen.

I moved the motor up two holes, and now it measures out just where it should. Haven't gotten onto Wissota again as my boat partner (wife) isn't real keen on driving or backing up the trailer - and with no docks in the water at the landing - you gotta have two skilled people unless you want to get your feet wet.

However - we did get out panfishing yesterday with the kiddos - some nice success. Managed to catch a nice gill that measured up at just under 10" and just a hair under a pound. Was fun to wath the 4yr old bring that in on an ultralight rod.

- rook
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM
rook-eye slayer's Avatar
rook-eye slayer rook-eye slayer is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 42
Default On Water Testing Complete - amazing results

Hi Guys,

So I finally made the time today to get out on bigger, safer water where I can do some extended runs and really dial in the changes I made.

Changes:

Moved motor from top hole to middle hole (moved motor up 1-1/2" basically)
Purchased a 15p prop

Here's what we came up with:

Original Setup gave me this: (motor as low as it could go, 17p prop)
Top speed 34 mph at 5,000rpm WOT
zero hole-shot, bow shoots straight up in the air 15 second to get on plane

Motor moved up 2 holes, 17p prop:
Top speed 44 mph at 5700rpm WOT
improved hole-shot, bow still rises quickly, about 7 seconds to get on plane

Motor moved up 2 holes, 15p prop:
Top speed 42 mph at 5900rpm WOT
amazing hole-shot, comparatively almost no bow rise, about 3 seconds to be fully on plane


I want to thank the guys that gave me some ideas, as well as the rest of you who have posted all along on other threads. The ideas and the outcomes have been awesome. I'm going to stick with the 15p prop. The 2mph top speed loss isn't enough to make me run the 17p regularly. The hole-shot with the 15p is amazingly different - so i'm sticking with that.

Didn't get daring enough to take a picture of the anti-vent plate while on plane - but did look at it and it is right where it's supposed to be.

Thanks a ton guys,
Rook
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Gary767 Gary767 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hibbing, Mn
Posts: 22
Default

i run a 2010 lund fisherman with the same setup. 115 4 stroke and motor height. just curious which 15P prop you bought??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 PM.