Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Fishin' Fashion: Long sleeved shirts for hot weather? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
With that hat on and a flannel do you look like Bill Murry from Caddy Shack?????I used to have one but left it in a hotel room after a fishing trip I miss that hat.

FC
Yeah ! That's me ! .....Even with that expression too when I just lost a big one.

Re the cotton flannels.. I never get overheated in them, I'm always very comfortable,and keeps me covered well.

I still don't get the "cotton is rotten" philosophy. Just did a little research. There are plenty cotton "fishing shirts" being sold,some even with UPF ratings.
Even in Cabelas buyers guide for fishing shirts, though they had a couple of downsides ,mostly only because of durability,here is what said:

" Cotton has the benefit of a soft, comfortable feel. It is also the most breathable fabric. Drawbacks include its tendency to shrink or fade and its slow-drying properties".

I see some of these "fishing shirts" also being sold are made of Nylon. Here's what they said about that:
"Nylon was the first completely synthetic fiber ever developed. Known for its superior strength and excellent resilience, nylon has superior abrasion resistance and high flexibility. The feel of nylon is not as soft as other fabrics. Because it is a synthetic, nylon has a tendency to make you feel "warmer" compared with a natural fiber like cotton."
So how is THAT of benefit??

So other than some of the "super fabrics" which to me only look like the only significant advantage is SOME increased UPF which definitely I see could be something to look into, as far as comfort,,,I still don't see much downside to cotton for warm weather in non athletic activities. Also an FYI ..DARK clothing filters UV better than light colored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Keeper

Mark, I don't want to start an argument here but that's a pretty good job of selective reading that you just displayed.

This is a general article on why other fabric choices beat cotton. It talks about base layers but everything here is applicable to this discussion.
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/underwear.html#Why_Wicking_Underwear_Beats_Cotton

This one goes more in depth as to what to look for regarding sun protection clothing. It mentions in there that, among other things, color of dye doesn't matter but type of dye does.
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/sun+protection.html

In the article you referenced,
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product_bgftrst_read_only.jsp?productId=532299
you compared nylon vs cotton but fail to say that it also lists 6 additional fabric alternatives, many of which perform better than cotton. I also went back through all the posts here and I don't see anyone saying they use a nylon product - if a product was specifically referenced, it was a polyester fabric.

If you're worried about the feel of the material, I'd suggest that you try some on the next time to go to a big box outdoor store - there are lots of poly shirts out there that are as soft or softer than cotton, especially the spun poly like that Patagonia shirt mentioned.

If the cotton flannel works for you, great. Again, not trying to pick on you but it's easy to find the appropriate info if you just choose to look at it without a point of view...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

Hi ZOOKS,
I read the whole thing, and I mentioned those alternatives as the "super fabrics" (probably should have said too numerous to mention). Not denying there are better, and would likely have some benefit in extreme conditions,etc. ...and thanks to this thread I'm learning about some of the better alternatives. But in general the ole cotton flannel has served me well and always was comfortable.

I was mostly trying to get to what was behind the responses that said never cotton,but never was specific about why not or what to wear instead. I picked on nylon because I saw some "tournament" shirts for sale on various sites made of nylon.

I'll check out those REI links...My ole flannels are a bit tattered anyway, so timing is good here to look at other stuff. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

Indeed, when ever out in the sun cover up...
I was first diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma in my late 30s
Had to have some mohs surgery done on my nose.
Needless to say, they took a nice chunk off to remove that portion.

I have found it best to own several bottles of sunscreen, leave one in the boat, one for your vehicle and the final for the house.
Prior to going to bed, put that bottle in the bathroom on the vanity as a reminder when taking care of the morning routine, brushing teeth etc.
Now put that sunscreen on prior to heading out the door.
I found that if i don't, i won't until its already to late.
Some mornings are a bit chilled outside, the last thing you feel like doing is applying sunscreen as that alone makes it even feel cooler.
Then, once you get into fishing, its hard to stop and take the time until the sun really starts to feel hot and by then you already have been exposed.

What ever you do, take the time to cover up.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Zooks-not even underware?????? I need all the absorbancy I can get!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
Zooks-not even underware?????? I need all the absorbancy I can get!
Oh man, for me it's the only way to go. No more soggy shorts (AKA Swamp Butt) and the boys can breathe!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Wallhanger

Look for clothing made with Solar shield polyester.Very light and breathable.