Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Trolling speed - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Minnow

if u tilt the motor up as ur trolling it will slow u down just gets louder as the prop gets closer to the surface thats whats i use to do with mine now i just troll with my electric. i set it straight and just use the motor to steer while its off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo4030 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned trim tabs yet. I don't have them- only know what I've read. Seems they might be a viable solution with other benefits as well. Maybe others with first-hand knowledge can expound.

Rick
I think majority of guys (myself included) have a real problem drilling holes in the hull and hanging more stuff off the back of the boat.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default trolling

I think the real question to be answered is "How much trolling are you going to do?" If you are like me, I do a ton of trolling in the summer months, and wouldn't be without my kicker. If you aren't going to do much trolling, then many of the options above will work just fine. I wouldn't take the chance of running my big motor that slow for that long. You have to defing what is long. Good luck
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdoc View Post
I guess the real question then to throw out there is would most walleye trollers be happy or make do with an 80hp trolling if money was an issue or would you look for an option to troll with different setup.
I think if money was an issue one could make due. There are a lot of variables. If it is calm, you will probably always backtroll with a tiller if you are pulling live bait rigs as your boat control is better. You easily have the option of a drift sock up front then if needed. Forward trolling cranks at 2.5 might be a little fast when the water is cold and it's calm but may be perfectly fine in the summer. Sometimes my 115 Suzuki wants to push 2.2 forward trolling. I just drop the trolling motor in the back down, tilt the motor up and adjust. In some cases trolling up wind you might have to give it some throttle. Down wind may give you the chance to experiment with speed. It is always interesting to have perceptions of the best speed vs what you actually catch them at. Try pumping your crank baits when you troll and see what works as this can be more important than speed. I am constantly amazed at how fast some guys troll the reefs on Mille Lacs, maybe 3 mph or so. They catch fish.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Wallhanger

Trolling Bago I have used drift socks, main motor with trolling plate and my bow mount. For cranks I run the big motor with the plate and harnesses I use the bow mount with auto pilot. I hated the drift sock thing. Other people love it I hate it. Constantly in the way when landing fish and moving lines around. I use the happy troller and I have been happy with it. Harness with minn kota is really fool proof.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the input, I think duckbutter and david anderson have hit it, might want to make do since not always going to troll and some of the time it may troll OK with the speed in the summer so may pull the trigger and get it. Deal with issues later. May try some of the suggestions of raising motor up some with trolling moter in water, drift sock might be a little cumbersome but will keep it in mind, thanks to everyone.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I use outfitter camp boats at remote locations in north western Quebec. Fiberglass boats are typically 15 or 16 feet long and powered by 15 HP outboards (sometimes 2 stroke, sometimes 4 stroke). Even back trolling is sometimes not slow enough and I always resort to using a drift sock. Usually my drift sock can slow my trolling speed between 0.5 and 0.7 mph (GPS measured).
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Keeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdoc View Post
I am considering buying a 2001 Lund angler tiller with a 80hp 4 stroke not efi engine on it. My question is will this engine troll down to trolling speeds for 3 way and lead core trolling. I mostly fish rivers. He has a garmin 240 on it with temp and speed but no gps. he says on the speed it says 1.5 to 2mph when trolled down but not sure how accurate this is. Does anybody have this engine alone or is a kicker needed.
Just troll for Muskies and you'll be fine...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Keeper

Hello: I use a trolamatic trolling plate. works great for me. Good Luck O - R
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Noah Cantell

Default Yamaha 70 4S Tiller

All I ever had to do to get er down to a very slow crawl is head her into the wind, shift to neutral for a spell and then shift back. The deeper and colder the water slow it way down even to that mementary stand still.