Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Leaking Sea Star Hydraulic steering - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Minnow

Default Leaking Sea Star Hydraulic steering

I have the Sea Star Hydraulic steering on my 2003 Ranger 618vs with a 150
Suzuki. I noticed some noise last fall and this spring I was moving the steering
wheel around and noticed some hydraulic fluid under the unit. Is there a rebuilding kit?
How much do they charge for this job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

What did Sea Star say when you called them?
REW
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

In the latest issue of Boating magazine (April 2012) there is a step by step article on how to rebuild the unit. Seems pretty straight forward. It says that the rebuild kit costs $112.00 and includes a special pin wrench for doing the job. Might be worth a look.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky3 View Post
I have the Sea Star Hydraulic steering on my 2003 Ranger 618vs with a 150
Suzuki. I noticed some noise last fall and this spring I was moving the steering
wheel around and noticed some hydraulic fluid under the unit. Is there a rebuilding kit?
How much do they charge for this job?

Call Sea Star up. Mine did the same thing after two years and they sent me the parts for some where around $12.00 It took a whole 10 minutes to fix.. Just a leaking seal. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Minnow

Not sure which actuator you have but for my Ranger 1860/Merc 175 - it was a quick & easy job! You can get a rebuild kit at various places that includes da spanner wrench, 2 gland nuts, various o-rings & 2 bullets that you thread onto the threads of the piston rod so you don't tear the seals while installing the gland nut. Around $100ish. Use Sea Star hydraulic fluid to refill the system.

Some good hardware stores that have a good selection of o-rings available is also an option.

Attached is from da Sea Star website that shows the kit part numbers that I needed along with install info. Lots of service documents on their website.

LLL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SeaStar HS5157-HS5167-Seal-Kit-Instruction-Manual.pdf (111.0 KB, 167 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.