Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Lawn tractor hours? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfever View Post
The local John Deere lawn mower mechanic told me he thought 800-900 hours was about all you could expect before you would need repairs.
That seems a bit low if it was maintained properly. On a car that would only be 45k miles. I thought "nothing runs like a Deere"??

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryv View Post
That seems a bit low if it was maintained properly. On a car that would only be 45k miles. I thought "nothing runs like a Deere"??

Jerry
Local lawn care guy buys 2 new Deere commercial mowers each year. He starts seeing problems with them between 300-400hrs and these mowers are less than 12 months old. Id say by 900hrs and 10 years old they would be nothing but trouble/junk.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

What does he mean by problems ? Internals ? Carb/ fuel ? Electronic ?

I've been around small engines a long time and even the old single cylinder 12-16 hp engines could easily do 1000 hours without internal work when maintained.
Newer twin cyls with pressurized oiling are even better.
If he's only getting 3-400 on internals it's his own fault. Carb and fuel problems also (buying cheapest fuel & not maintaining the system )
Electronics-- Well they are a fact of life- good and bad.

Junk at 900 hrs- only if it was not cared for
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinie View Post

I've been around small engines a long time and even the old single cylinder 12-16 hp engines could easily do 1000 hours without internal work when maintained.
If he's only getting 3-400 on internals it's his own fault. Carb and fuel problems also (buying cheapest fuel & not maintaining the system )

I agree. 300-400 hrs is way too low. My local JD dealership told me 1500 hrs on the engine I have is typical.

I have a 1991 JD LX186 with a 17 hp Kawasaki engine (aircooled) In 21 years, I replaced the Ignition module and a choke cable. I have well over 1500 hrs on it.

I changed the oil and filter 1 a year.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinie View Post

I should have clarified. I wasnt speaking of just the engines, I was referring to the mower as a whole.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for all the replies!

It should come up on the auction in the next few days and I will get it tested and go from there.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cub Cadet

I have a 2003 Cub Cadet w/18 hp Kohler. Approx 350 hrs (same as my 2003 Honda boat motor). Both get about the same useage each year...kinda sad....... I have the oil changed etc every fall and converted to the snow thrower for the winter by the small engine place I bought it from. I convert back in spring. That way it gets maintained professionally. No problems so far. Runs great. A few minor odds and ends (new battery, belts, scraper on the snow blower etc). Love it except the moron who designed the 'easy' way to convert it. Could have been done smarter. Every spring I grunt and swear but I get it done/converted. I converted it to lawn more a couple weeks ago which guarantee's one more big snow here in Green Bay.