Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Transducer Mounting - No Spray at Speed? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Codeblue,
Perfect solution, and with the use of the pvc pipe, no bending required.
Great idea.

REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Wallhanger

I have the same propblem with a rooster tail of splash hitting back of boat along with bracket damage. Here is what a H'bird rep sent me along with my statement of problem below it. Note that I never got the insert to block the flow through the bracket (perhaps a recent fix) and ordered a new bracket which doesn't have the square opening in the bracket!

another 788CI problem

Response:
The transducer mounting hardware MHX XNT also includes an insert that goes between the hardware pieces so when its installed you will not get a spray of water between the two pieces of the bracket. The insert (plug) is in a separte bag on its own, however, it is included with the hardware package. '

Make sure the transducer is not sitting any more than 1/4 inch below the hull on a fiberglass boat or 1/2 inch below on an aluminum hull boat. Any lower than this could cause a lot of force on the transducer running and speeds and cause it to kick up, but shouldn't cause the bracket to break
unless it is hit by something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj
I just posted this on XYZ. Is there a better tranducer bracket for my unit that won't break or make rooster tails of water?

Another annoying problem with my Humminbird 788CI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the help of Humminbird and some replacement parts, my power interruption problems have gone away. It was a lingering annoyance last year. Last fall, I noticed that I was occasionally losing the bottom depth reading while cruising so i checked out the transducer recently to find two deformed tabs that are supposed to hold the ducer in the down position. I've never hit anything with it, so it appears that the pounding of Lake Erie has taken it's toll. The ducer was intalled on trnaducer board per H'bird instuctions for height/local/etc. It should be noted that I did not install the single screw to fix the ducer in the down position so maybe that's my mistake, but if it's designed to pop up and save the ducer, why should it so easily deform and require replacement? My conclusion is poor retainer tab design.

This 2 piece "hinged" bracket has been a disappointment since the start as Humminbird poorly designed it with a square opening that causes a rooster tail of water to spray the back of the boat. Duct tape has been on it from day 1.

While I really enjoy the gps/chartplotter/fishfinding function, this unit has provided too much aggravation and down time for a $600 unit.

Perhaps HBirdDeborahCRC can offer a solution as she helped me through the frustrating power problem that has plagued some H'bird units. Do they make an improved bracket?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Keeper

The spray on mine was not due to the bracket but of the transducer itself causing the spray. It is the price you pay for this technology----I am sure in the future the design will improve and become smaller-----like I said with about $4 and 15 mins of work the spray can be gone if you have a transducer mounting plate and the plug doesn't help like in my situation.

One year in and everything is working perfect....couldn't be happier.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

My transducer was throwing spray up on the engine, and the air current was bringing it into the boat. I made a spray shield out of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	14732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	14733  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Even better----nice!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Minnow

Default Cut the board off!

Bigstorm.

You need to take the board off and cut what looks to be a 1/2" off of it. The board needs to be just above the seam of the transom and bottom. What you are doing is creating a trim tab by having the board below the bottom. There must be a huge amount of spray coming off he board itself, also will sloww the boat down and cause it to list while underway.

Brian
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstorm View Post
I put a new locator on the boat this spring and have had problems getting it positioned correct so that it wouldn't spray up and get water in/on the back of boat at speed and also to have it read depth at speed. (when I say ready depth at speed I mean 20 to 30 mph, boat tops out at 31mph)

I believe the problem was that it was mounted too low in the water when I first installed it. I had to replace the mounting board to raise it up and now have it positioned so that is sits just barely below the bottom of the boat.

My hope is that it doesnt spray water up on the back of the boat and also reads depth properly at speed. Take a look at the 2 pictures and tell me if you think I'm in the ballpark now or if it would need to be mounted higher yet

Thanks
If you put a straight edge from the boat to the mounting board you will see how much the mounting board is below the bottom of the boat. The board has square edges, the back of the boat is at an angle. Sand or file the trailing edge of the board to be inline with the boat. This may not be the spray problem but with the edge of the board below the boat it's creating unnecessary drag.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Keeper

This may not be the spray problem but with the edge of the board below the boat it's creating unnecessary drag.

I thought the same thing when I had looked at your pictures. When I had installed my transducer board I took in consideration the angle of the transome and bottom of the boat with the boat sitting level. I believe there was about 7 degrees difference and cut the bottom edge of the board to match the boat bottom and placed the board slightly above the bottom edge. If the board is below the boat it causes extra turbulance and gives poor readings. I get a clear reading at 40+ mph with mine. Took a little fussing around but works great.
BTW with the way I have mine set up I get no spray from my transducer.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Minnow

Default mounting board....

I agree with the last two replies regarding the transducer mounting board. My boat had a 14 degree angle from the bottom of the boat. I cut the bottom of the board to match this angle. In addition, everything I read about mounting it said to set it up from the bottom of the boat by 1/4". Then you'll have a free and smooth flow of water from the bottom of the boat to the transducer (assuming of course there are not any rivets, etc. on the bottom of the boat that may cause turbulence.) Again, probably has nothing to do with a spray problem, but would have an affect on quality of signal at high speed.