Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
I found my fuel line problem, check this out! - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
bloodman's Avatar
bloodman bloodman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belvidere, Il
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
Does anyone know when they started using the newer lines on the Merc's?
After reading the BBC threads it sounds like '09
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Jim Carroll Jim Carroll is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minot, ND, USA.
Posts: 1,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
After reading the BBC threads it sounds like '09
Bloodman - Thanks for posting this link!

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?...mer-bulb-first

If you use gas with ethanol in your boat, it would be smart to check out your fuel lines before the problems start. Good pics of the new fuel line in the link above.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM
yarcraft91's Avatar
yarcraft91 yarcraft91 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of..., Michigan.
Posts: 7,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
Bloodman - Thanks for posting this link!

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?...mer-bulb-first

If you use gas with ethanol in your boat, it would be smart to check out your fuel lines before the problems start. Good pics of the new fuel line in the link above.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13
That bbcboards thread shows a picture of the new "blue-print" fuel lines that are supposed to be ethanol-tolerant. I noticed arrows on the fuel lines in one picture, which makes me wonder if it matters which way the fuel flows through the hose. If so, that's a new one to me!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
B.Chunks B.Chunks is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 135
Default

I just looked at the lines on my Opti that the certified Merc dealer installed. No lettering at all. Looks like an aftermarket line and bulb. Been soaking in ethanol since 2006 ad have never noticed even a spec of debris in my filter.

The more I looked around at pictures on the net of deteriorated lining, I'm second guessing the fouled fuel theory. The only reason is that the OP's pictures show some of the debris curved and in the shape of the line itself. I still stand by the statement that sediment from fouled fuel looks the same in appearance besides the shape of the particles here. Might even be both problems.

For those who know, do service shops generally keep stabilizer in their remote tanks they're using for diagnosis and demonstration, not winterizing?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
TomP.'s Avatar
TomP. TomP. is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Trapper,
Did you run a chemical analysis of the deposits in the fuel line and bulb to verify your statement?

If you did not run a chemical analysis, of these particular deposits pictured, how can you make such a positive statement?

Just wondering.

I said in my original post that a chemical analysis was necessary to verify the source of the deposits. What could be clearer than that statement?

REW
I have the same grey line on my Opti, when looking at the inside of the fuel line you can see where the inner liner is coming loose. Yes this is a fuel line issue.. being not compatible with alcohol.

Edited to add What is really perturbing is why they didn`t use Automotive fuel line????????????????

Last edited by TomP.; 03-30-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
wiredog's Avatar
wiredog wiredog is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: .EMMONS MINN>
Posts: 1,539
Default

The thing is its not just the Merc line that is having problems. On my Triton it had very heavy reinforced black rubber lines that were installed when it was built. I could take a small flat screwdriver and turn it around inside the line and get a black powder out of it. The powder was also in the filter. I installed the new Merc lines in it. 25 feet worth. Wiredog
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
wiredog's Avatar
wiredog wiredog is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: .EMMONS MINN>
Posts: 1,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
That bbcboards thread shows a picture of the new "blue-print" fuel lines that are supposed to be ethanol-tolerant. I noticed arrows on the fuel lines in one picture, which makes me wonder if it matters which way the fuel flows through the hose. If so, that's a new one to me!
Good catch Yarcraft. I will have to check my lines for that. Don`t remember seeing any on the lines i replaced. Hey JohnG did you see any arrows on your lines??? Wiredog
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM
JohnG JohnG is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Minnesota.
Posts: 72
Default

Yes, my new lines have arrows, I'm not sure if it matters, but installed them with the arrows in the direction of the fuel flow.

I took the boat out for a test run today with the new lines, bulb and filter, and it ran perfectly. I ran it extensively at wide open, idle, and in between, burned several gallons of fuel, and it ran like brand new, never missed a beat.

Hopefully this thread helps somebody before they have an expensive problem (as bad as it looked, it cost me a grand total of $70 to fix this).
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 AM
MikeF MikeF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
The thing is its not just the Merc line that is having problems. On my Triton it had very heavy reinforced black rubber lines that were installed when it was built. I could take a small flat screwdriver and turn it around inside the line and get a black powder out of it. The powder was also in the filter. I installed the new Merc lines in it. 25 feet worth. Wiredog
Most of the liner seperation is noted in the above deck Merc fuel lines but the ethonal is affecting all lines to some degree.

The fuel/vent lines below deck have a different rating than the fuel lines above the deck.

The fuel/ seperator should catch any debris from the below deck black lines if they start to break down and you can see little black particles in the filter when you change it each year.

Ironic how we spend money to solve a problem, caused by a product we spend money to create, as per legislation.
Guberment at its finest.
Sigh
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Shellback's Avatar
Shellback Shellback is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Wagontown, PA, USA.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Yes, my new lines have arrows, I'm not sure if it matters, but installed them with the arrows in the direction of the fuel flow.

I took the boat out for a test run today with the new lines, bulb and filter, and it ran perfectly. I ran it extensively at wide open, idle, and in between, burned several gallons of fuel, and it ran like brand new, never missed a beat.

Hopefully this thread helps somebody before they have an expensive problem (as bad as it looked, it cost me a grand total of $70 to fix this).
Thanks for this post, I'm sure it will enlighten many folks on the effects of ethanol and their boat fuel system. I now have a 2011 boat, hope I everything is ethanol proof!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.