Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Buying Lund 1875 Impact with Mercury 150 4 stroke - few questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Minnow

Default Buying Lund 1875 Impact with Mercury 150 4 stroke - few questions

I plan to order this boat this week. A few questions:

1) I cannot recall the exact price but the hydraulic steering is expensive. I would love to stay with the no feedback upgrade but it seems like the consensus is hydraulic steering is best/ necessary for a 150. Anybody have a 150 with just the the no feedback steering? How is it?

2) I plan to get the baitwell but the dealer mentioned that most guys get them and never use them, and that it is more stuff to go wrong. If you have one, do you use it a a fair amount? If so, any problems with it?

3) I am also interested in hearing any feedback from Lund Impact owners on how you like your boat.

Any feedback is appreciated. Excited to order and should be good timing for Spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Minnow

Default 1875 Impact Lund

Just got mine home. I put hydraulic steering dealer recommended on 150 hp. Seems to be real smooth turning the wheel compared to cable steer on old rebel with 90 hp. Cant help you much on anything else. Did not put bait well in with having two live wells. Come on spring good luck
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Keeper

I use my bait well more than my live well. Don't slip out on anything that would be difficult to add after the fact. Ie. bait well. Bimini side curtains are an easy upgrade later, but Crappie option would not be. Think long and hard about how you envision using your boat. Do you have kids? Snap in carpet over vinyl would be nice if you do. Better on little knees. Are you tall? I would get tilt steering if you are anything over 5'9. Actually I'd get it anyway for anyone else who might drive your boat, and resale. I'm 6'1 and I wish I would have got it.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Slot Fish

I went through this decision last year on my new rig. Decided to not get the hydraulic on Merc 150 4 stroke. I have no issues with my choice of no feedback.

Buddy09
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default With the 150 4 stroke Merc...

...I think that you could go either way. I've run a 150 Opti w/hydraulic since 2002 and would not have it with nfb or any manual strring system. In the past I've run 175 and 225 motors with manual steering and they were a real pain in the shoulder to steer. I've also run a 140 with manual steering and it was no problem at all. The 150 4-s will have less steering effort than a V-6 2-s, so I would say that you would be OK with either system if the cost of the hydraulic is an issue. I'm looking at new rigs presently with 115/125 hp motors, and I'll probably go with nfb since I don't expect anywhere near the steering effort of the big V-6 motors. Remember that nfb only kicks in when the motor tries to torque steer in the opposite direction of where you are steering- but when you initiate a steering motion you will still have to overcome any engine torque as you are turning the wheel. With hydraulic, the steering is low effort in any direction at any time.
Doug
Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

1. Get the hydraulic steering, one less thing to have to worry about is wrestling the steering wheel in rough water.

2. Get the baitwell in the bow, when I fish with buddies that have Lunds we use it all the time.

3. Can't speak to the Impact as I have never been in one but I love my buddies 1825 Explorer.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

#1 Seller at my marina....With NFB steering you wont feel any torque, shes not a 7000rpm 2.5liter Racing mota!!!!! Option the boat as you wish for NOW....Then you always know you have what you wanted...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=tcastaldi;1530606]
2) I plan to get the baitwell but the dealer mentioned that most guys get them and never use them, and that it is more stuff to go wrong. If you have one, do you use it a a fair amount? If so, any problems with it?
QUOTE]

I had a 6 gallon rear and a 9 gallon front bait well on my Skeeter and I can tell you I used the 9 gallon front as a livewell when I wanted to keep a couple Crappie or eater Walleye. It was much easier (and lighter) to fill that then the 22 gallon livewell. The only time I used the livewell was for tourneys. The 6 gallon rear baitwell was always used for storage and never used for bait.

I had hydraulic steering on the last 2 boats (150 hp Verado and 150 hp Yammi) and I loved it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 01-30-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM
merc man

I have a 1775 pro v with the 150 Merc. and no hydraulic steering. Kind of wishing I would have got it now. Sometimes its very stiff in certain condition. My dealer says it will loosen up a bit and am hoping he is correct.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshaw View Post
I use my bait well more than my live well. Don't slip out on anything that would be difficult to add after the fact. Ie. bait well. Bimini side curtains are an easy upgrade later, but Crappie option would not be. Think long and hard about how you envision using your boat. Do you have kids? Snap in carpet over vinyl would be nice if you do. Better on little knees. Are you tall? I would get tilt steering if you are anything over 5'9. Actually I'd get it anyway for anyone else who might drive your boat, and resale. I'm 6'1 and I wish I would have got it.

Thanks for the bait well info. I imagine myself using it a fair amount as well and will get it. The kids are old enough that the vinyl should not be a problem (and will be easier to clean up their mess). I believe the no feedback and the hydraulic both come with tilt steering but I am 5'9" so it should not be too big of an issue either way. Thanks for the reply.