Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Namakan / Rainy Lake Voyagers camping - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Default Namakan / Rainy Lake Voyagers camping

I'm hoping to find in this vast knowledge base some input on good campsites in Voyagers National Park. I'm taking the wife an sons there the second weekend of June.

Have any of you found a campsite you'd go back to or recommend?

I understand the sites are first come first serve.

Thanks.

Last edited by contrail; 05-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

There really aren't any bad sites, some are just better then others. Contact VNP and have them send you a map showing all sites and amenities. Some are sand beech, some have docks. Take some time and chart out where you want to be and whats important in a site. If you show up on a Wed. or Thursday many sites will be available, Friday, Saturday and you will take what you can find. This year will be different because of the gas prices. I expect more sites to be available then most years, but time will tell.

There are very nice sites around Hoist Bay and a big site between Hoist and Moose Bay that people seem to like. Plan according to your boat size. You might not want to cross big water in a storm if you have a smaller boat. I'm assuming you will launch from the Ash River or Kabetogama area.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Keeper

"second weekend in June" will be busy. As Dutchboy wrote, at Namakan you'd best arrive Wednesday or Thursday, or you will burn a lot of gas looking for an open campsite. The farther you get from the boat ramps, the easier it is to get a campsite. Depends on how far you want to run, and if the weather allows you to. You might have to settle for a non-designated spot, which will have no table, privy, fire ring or bear boxes. I've only been to Rainy once, so I can't say if it's any different there.

The VNP website has a downloadable campsite map. You can also get the Fisher map, but the best one I've used is the National Geographic map. REI has it for $11.95.

Sorry, but I wouldn't name specific campsites any more than I would give GPS coordinates for fishing spots. You can find them yourself with a little research. The only "bad site I know of is Namakan Entrance. To me, that's like camping on the edge of the freeway. My preference is for sites with a dock, but the water level fluctuates a lot on Namakan so some of them are marginally usable if the water is low. Some are sandy beaches, some are rocky/sandy beaches. Bring your rubber boots.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Download Google Earth. There is a file at http://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/camping.htm and you can zoom into the campsites and view them. It's not crystal clear but you can see if the place has a beach, how protected the site is and also use the measuring tool to get distances.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmacs View Post
Download Google Earth. There is a file at http://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/camping.htm and you can zoom into the campsites and view them. It's not crystal clear but you can see if the place has a beach, how protected the site is and also use the measuring tool to get distances.

Jeez..........doesn't that take half the fun out of it?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Just a few days before we head north. I'm planning to launch at Crane lake and head into VNP from there. From those who are familiar, is there adequate parking space for truck and trailer? How about any good bait shops?

Thanks all.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Sorry can't offer any help going in from Crane. Right in Orr just before you turn towards Crane stop at Normans One Stop. They might be able to help with the bait question.

Have a great trip, don't obsess over the fishing, remember this is a vacation not a tournament. Enjoy the beauty that VNP has to offer.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Minnow

Thanks Dutchboy. It's is definitely a camping / exploring vacation first and a fishing trip next. I appreciate all the info you've shared.

Last edited by contrail; 06-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I'll be up there Thursday thru Monday myself. If you get a chance head up to Kettle Falls Hotel for lunch. Definitely worth the trip if you have never been there before.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Keeper

Default Kettle Falls good stuff

I too have enjoyed and recommend a trip to Kettle Falls.

Pay attention to the navigation buoys, and your GPS.

You can call on your marine band radio for a golf cart to pick you up at the dock and bring you up to the hotel, channel 13.

Stop in to the bar, and ask to see the photo albums. I made the newer ones in the white wedding quality albums. Many years worth of my personal photos. I printed and assembled them as well. I hope they are still in good shape, I replaced them a couple times already (cheap albums, pages fell out...)

I have also made a promotional DVD slideshow for Kettle Falls that is of very high quality. It's 45 minutes long. Not sure if they still show that, I have not been there in 2 years. Ask them about it. Tell them Greg P recommended it (someone there will know the name).

Oh, the stories I could tell about that place... Spent a lot of time up there. I used to run the 4th of July barbeque they put on for many years.

I miss that place (have my own cabin now, so my visits are less frequent).

Carefull if you sample a few of the Pink Things (slushy drinks at the bar). They have been known to sneak up on people.

Anyway, have fun. Beautiful area.

Greg P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.