Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Long Lake - North of Alpena? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Gut Hook

Default Long Lake - North of Alpena?

I have luckily found a cabin available for the week of the 4th on Long Lake. Just north of Alpena, MI. They say it's got smallmouth, walleye, pike, perch and gills. It is a short trailer away from Thunder Bay on Lake Huron. Not too much further to get down to Saginaw Bay.

Does anybody know this area? How is it in July? Can I get out on Thunder Bay or Saginaw Bay and catch some eyes without having to go out 30 miles? How about perch at that time of year?

Our boat is an 18' Sea Nymph. Pretty deep boat. But not necessarily what I would call a great lakes boat.

Thanks!
G.H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Wurm

Default RE: Long Lake - North of Alpena?

Long Lake near Alpena MI, is a good walleye lake. This is a large, shallow lake with several weeds beds, reefs and points. The "locals" like to live bait rig with leaches and crawlers that time of year. However, I am sure most any method would work.

However, during the time you will be there, there COULD be a bug hatch (Michigan Mayflies) going on, or at least at the tail end of one. This could slow your catch qite conciderably. But, who knows, the bug hatch may be well over by then, of course depending on the weather.

So you never know, Saginaw Bay could be your catching destination. However, DO NOT OVER LOOK THE GREAT LAKES RIGHT THERE AT ALPENA! This too is an excelent walleye fishery. There are resident walleye there year round, (near shore) plus that time of year, the migration may start filling that area up with even more fish!

Good Luck, WURM
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Gut Hook

Thanks Wurm! I have done a bit more research since my post. The local walleye club has several tournaments on Long Lake. There will also be an open tournament on Thunder Bay during the week we'll be there.

I would also like to see what the perch are doing in Saginaw Bay while we are there. With the wind hopefully coming from the west that should keep the waves down closer to shore on the big water. Also may explore the smallmouth bass if there are any reefs out there.

Thanks again!
G.H.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Gut Hook

Bump for others who may know the area.
G.H.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Keeper

Hi Gut Hook,

I need to get the latest update on our local club, Thunder Bay Walleye Club, to Scott so it can be updated. The info on this site is a year old - my fault, sorry.

Yes, we do have tournaments on Long, but not this year as the fishing has been considerably better in some of our other surrounding bodies of water for walleyes. The local bass club holds a fall tournament with one day each on Grand and Long lakes. I believe the weights fora 10-fish limit on Long averaged around 35# with Grand being slightly higher. They open their event season with a kickoff on opening day on Long with very good results. Both Long and Grand are great smallmouth lakes. Thunder Bay has got to be one of the most underfished smallmouth waters in the area. There are literally miles of shoreline and structure past North Point that never see a bass fisherman. I believe it was 4 years ago that the TriState Bass Club held their championship here - paid down 10 places for big fish and 10th weighed in around 5.5#. The top 5 fish each day were over 6#. Most of their fish came within 4 miles of the launch, too. The next year they came back and the weather got them - really windy and few fish were caught.

As far as the walleyes, we have a night tournament on Thunder Bay May 30-31 this year. Last year we had over 100 fish weighed in and they averaged 6.01# per fish. Many folks stayed out fishing because they were not in contention for prizes. The bay fishing can be fantastic - at night. For inland fishing, you have Long, Grand, and Hubbard for 3 options with the fish in all 3 running 13"-20" typically. My order of preference is Hubbard, Hubbard, Hubbard, then Grand, then Long! There are more fish in Hubbard and I feel it is more fun to fish as you have all kinds of different structure and habitat. Just personal preference though. Ed Bolanowski at East Bay Outfitters is a great source of information for Hubbard. He shoots straight - if they are not biting he says so.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Please call or e-mail me anytime and I'd be happy to discuss this area with you.

Best of luck for wherever you end up fishing.

Bob Baughman
bbaughma@freeway.net
989-379-2016
Old 04-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Daveo

Buck's bait is located almost on the shores of Long Lake and maintains a pretty good web site; http://www.bucksbait.com

They won't be open for a few more weeks but afterwards, check their fishing reports on line.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Candrzoo

My uncle had a cottage on that lake years ago. I tried the crawler harnesses I used in Erie and Detroit river and had no luck. I went to the tackle store on the north shore(can't remember the name} and bought harnesses with small blades and eyes on the blade and caught many fish! Most Walleyes were caught accross from the Marina area.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Minnow

I see all the walleye info on here in Northern Michigan.
Are there any tournaments for local people. I cant find
the info on the Burt/Mullet Lake one. Any help would be great!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 AM
east bay ed

i don't know what it's worth to you but last year at the thunder bay walleye tournament i think two fish won the tourney. i know we had onne walleye and if we would hhave stayed for the weigh-in we would have placed. you can get a report from hubbard at info@fishhubbardlake.com that is my web site and in the summer it is update at least twice a week. thunder bay walleye club doesn't have any tournament going on at the time you will be up in the area. but i would think you can find some walleye fishing within a half hour drive anyway. and like bob said there is some nice smallies in long to keep you busy.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Keeper

long lake is a long way from saginaw bay(2 hours)

link-bucks bait
http://www.bucksbait.com/contact.htm

look into fishing reports or email him
its on the SE side of lake-just off us -23
sometimes he says fishing is a little better than it is, but usually pretty good

long lake has a good population of walleye, smallies and perch(never fished for them)

i always had my best luck trolling along the shore by the parker house(resturant) at the drop off

or north end of lake drifting crawler harness-or a very slow troll.

also-ther is two point just south of the county park-troll between the two points

ALSO-that is a good time to fish rockport-if you are set up for salmon. Look on a map, it is across the lake 4 miles(down a dirt road). Fishing can be great. we went last year mid july and had lots of luck(we always fish this area). But watch for nets.
we usually get 2-10 fish a trip. we di get 14 one trip last year. with 8 coming in a hour.

also-havent fish it but grand lake just north is suppose to be good also.
if you have anymore Q's email me
jfifer@cvs.k12.mi.us