Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I Troll , Hows it working for people? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Default I Troll , Hows it working for people?

Was wondering whoever has had the time to really use their I Troll unit , How is it? Are you happy with it? Any problems? Better than troll master? Also for the people who have it is the Hunt Mode worth the extra $100 bill or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally hunter View Post
Was wondering whoever has had the time to really use their I Troll unit , How is it? Are you happy with it? Any problems? Better than troll master? Also for the people who have it is the Hunt Mode worth the extra $100 bill or not?
It also appears you need to buy the cable to run up to your dash at another $10, billet mount for $69, so we're up to over $500 for this little puppy.

$300 for the TM2, no hunt feature but it's easy enough to push the idle button every now and then, least for me it is.

I'd like to hear from those who bought and have used it too..is it worth the extra $200??

Al
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Keeper

Bought mine when they were taking trollmasters in trade. I love mine and the quality of the unit is much better. You can even get it wet!!! I havent had a chance to try hunt mode but for the few times i used the unit it didnt hesitate and was more responsive than the trollmaster.
Glad i bought mine

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
It also appears you need to buy the cable to run up to your dash at another $10, billet mount for $69, so we're up to over $500 for this little puppy.

$300 for the TM2, no hunt feature but it's easy enough to push the idle button every now and then, least for me it is.

I'd like to hear from those who bought and have used it too..is it worth the extra $200??

Al

To preface, I have nothing to hide – I am the designer of iTroll and am posting to clarify a few points.

1. iTroll is a system that has many options, the mentioned cable, HUNT Mode software upgrade and billet mount are OPTIONS. If a customer does not want them, they simply don't have to purchase them. To say that every iTroll is $500.00 plus is a misleading statement.

2. Because price is the issue here, this is intended as a factual statement, not a sales pitch: The base cost of an iTroll, ready to run the typical kicker is $330.00.

3. Price fact: At one point, we were using the same servo as supplied by TrollMaster – Until we received a shipment where 9 out of 10 of them did not function properly when we tested them. I then decided that there was no other choice but to use a HiTec digital servo as I was not willing to risk iTroll's reputation and our customers' angling experiences on a $5.00 servo. When we changed to the HiTec servo, the price mentioned in 2 (above) went from $290.00 to the current $330.00.

4. When you compare apples to apples, I think the question should be “is iTroll worth an extra $30.00” – not $200.00.

The intent of this post is simply clarification. I do not know AllenW and am NOT in any way, shape, or form saying anything negative about him, his post or TrollMaster. I am happy that a fellow angler enjoys his TrollMaster.

That's all for this post – I'm confident that iTroll users will chime in to answer the original poster's questions.

Joel
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

1. iTroll is a system that has many options, the mentioned cable, HUNT Mode software upgrade and billet mount are OPTIONS. If a customer does not want them, they simply don't have to purchase them. To say that every iTroll is $500.00 plus is a misleading statement.

I did not say EVERY itroll, I was referring to the unit the OP mentioned and the fact the Hunt was another $100 and if it was worth it or not.

2. Because price is the issue here, this is intended as a factual statement, not a sales pitch: The base cost of an iTroll, ready to run the typical kicker is $330.00.

So you don't have to buy an extended cable to use the control on the dash? That's not what your web site shows to me.

3. Price fact: At one point, we were using the same servo as supplied by TrollMaster – Until we received a shipment where 9 out of 10 of them did not function properly when we tested them. I then decided that there was no other choice but to use a HiTec digital servo as I was not willing to risk iTroll's reputation and our customers' angling experiences on a $5.00 servo. When we changed to the HiTec servo, the price mentioned in 2 (above) went from $290.00 to the current $330.00.

4. When you compare apples to apples, I think the question should be “is iTroll worth an extra $30.00” – not $200.00.
Once again, the OP mentions the Hunt feature and that's what he and I were wondering

The intent of this post is simply clarification. I do not know AllenW and am NOT in any way, shape, or form saying anything negative about him, his post or TrollMaster. I am happy that a fellow angler enjoys his TrollMaster.
You just mentioned the lousy solenoids they use, come on if your gonna play games at least do it right,

That's all for this post – I'm confident that iTroll users will chime in to answer the original poster's questions.

I hope so, always looking for a better unit, no offense though, your comparison chart looks like something a used car salesman would come up with, whatever works I guess.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Slot Fish

Default I troll

I also bought the I troll earlier this yr... The Itroll is a 1000% better than the POS Trollmaster...

Customer Service is awesome. I did have a problem with mine getting wet when I was caught out in a storm on Green Bay.. I think this was a fluke with my key pad on this unit...

I called Joel and he had a new one on it's way immediately, when I received the new one I sent him my old one back...

So far I haven't had an issue with the replacement one...

I Troll is worth every penny in my book.. It's by far a superior unit to the Trollmaster

KYLE
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Keeper

Allen,
I replaced two trollcrappers by a dealer because when you turned the cheap dial up it would slow down then speed up also I loved spin the dial round and round. The don't get wet feature was awesome when your around water. Trollmaster had a awesome analog unit but when they got bought out and went to that digital unit it went to heck.
Joel actually called me to help install, would trollmaster do that? hmmmm
Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

I also ran the i-Troll all of last year. I have enjoyed hours rain and sunshine trolling with/in the hunt mode. Awesome feature if you do any open water trolling. I can't say enough about that hunt mode. There are options but one does not need them to run the basic unit. I have the neutral lock out option and find that was money well spent. I bought the cable extension and never used it. The main cable was plenty long enough. I have my i-Troll connected to a panther marine T-5 steering unit. This as worked great since switching the T-5 controller over to the i-Troll.
Customer service has been good as little as I have needed to use it! Joel answered all my questions when i ordered it and it has been flawless. Great addition to have on the Grady!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Wallhanger

I like mine. Did not use the Hunt mode enough to say if it's a game changer but it did what it was suppose to do. Everything else is top notch.

m
Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalter View Post
Allen,
I replaced two trollcrappers by a dealer because when you turned the cheap dial up it would slow down then speed up also I loved spin the dial round and round. The don't get wet feature was awesome when your around water. Trollmaster had a awesome analog unit but when they got bought out and went to that digital unit it went to heck.
Joel actually called me to help install, would trollmaster do that? hmmmm
I'm assuming quality control must have went out the window at TM, I know three older units that I can think of plus mine, and they all have worked well, but they are older units 07-08 best I can tell, but I believe all were digital fwiw.

To bad, it was a simple unit to run, easy to install and came as a complete kit.

I don't know what TM does now, but he answered my question back when I bought it and helped me install the unit over the phone, sadly this appears to not be the case now.

The Itroll seems like a good product and it may be what I end up going with (minus the Hunt feature) I just have a little problem with his advertising/website.

If I'm not mistaken the Itroll was brought up before on the forum with good reviews.

If it works like advertised and keeps working, should be/ could be the controller to have.

Seems no good usually comes to a company that gets bought out in many cases.

Al