Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Venison Jerky Recipe - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Venison Jerky Recipe

Just wondering if anyone here makes their own venison jerky at home. I haven't tried it yet but I plan on giving it a whirl this weekend. Any helpful hints/recipes would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Venison Jerky Recipe

Just wondering if anyone here makes their own venison jerky at home. I haven't tried it yet but I plan on giving it a whirl this weekend. Any helpful hints/recipes would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Minnow

Default RE: Venison Jerky Recipe

American Harvest sells a good seasoning. You can purchase it at Fleet Farm or WalMart stores. I haven't found any complaints so far. Using the jerky works kit with ground venison is pretty consistant and easy. Some like cut strips but varying thickness can vary the flavor. With the ground you can get a consistant flavor throughout the batch.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Minnow

American Harvest sells a good seasoning. You can purchase it at Fleet Farm or WalMart stores. I haven't found any complaints so far. Using the jerky works kit with ground venison is pretty consistant and easy. Some like cut strips but varying thickness can vary the flavor. With the ground you can get a consistant flavor throughout the batch.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

My marinade includes soy sauce (or teriaki), ground italian seasoning rub (basil, marjorum, thyme, garlic), crushed mustard seed, crushed pepricon(sp?), Jack Daniels (or Southern Comfort), white sugar & crushed habenaro peppers if I want a little kick.

I cut the strips no thicker than 1/4-1/2 inch x 3-4 inches long. Marinade them in the fridge for 24 hrs. Once marinaded, lay them on paper towel (cover them as well) to absorb the excess. Place the cuts on drying racks about 1/2-1 inch apart (if you have a dehydrater, rotate the trays top to bottom). Let them dry until the cuts bend w/o breaking in half (too dry if they break easily).

Play w/ the measurements of the marinade ingredients until the desired taste is found. The secret is in the marinade & the amounts used ...enjoy!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

My marinade includes soy sauce (or teriaki), ground italian seasoning rub (basil, marjorum, thyme, garlic), crushed mustard seed, crushed pepricon(sp?), Jack Daniels (or Southern Comfort), white sugar & crushed habenaro peppers if I want a little kick.

I cut the strips no thicker than 1/4-1/2 inch x 3-4 inches long. Marinade them in the fridge for 24 hrs. Once marinaded, lay them on paper towel (cover them as well) to absorb the excess. Place the cuts on drying racks about 1/2-1 inch apart (if you have a dehydrater, rotate the trays top to bottom). Let them dry until the cuts bend w/o breaking in half (too dry if they break easily).

Play w/ the measurements of the marinade ingredients until the desired taste is found. The secret is in the marinade & the amounts used ...enjoy!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Scott,
first, i recommend getting a dehydrator..makes the process MUCH easier then an oven. You can also use a smoker or combination smoker/dehydrator. Sometimes I'll smoke for an hour or so then finish off in dehydrator.
Here's my "secret recipe":

4 lbs meat, cut into 1/8 to 1/4" strips. easier if meat is partially frozen.

1/2 cup soy- i use the "light" less salty
1/2 cup worsestchire sausce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (omit if using smoker)
1 tsp tabasco
1 tablespoon A-1
2 tablespoons Morton's "tender quick"
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup beef broth

mix all ingredients and place in shallow baking dish or non reactive container and marinate overnight.

remove strips from marinade, pat excess liquid with paper towel and place on dehyrdator. Add additional seasonings such as fresh cracked black pepper or red pepper flakes according to your tastes.
ENJOY!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Scott,
first, i recommend getting a dehydrator..makes the process MUCH easier then an oven. You can also use a smoker or combination smoker/dehydrator. Sometimes I'll smoke for an hour or so then finish off in dehydrator.
Here's my "secret recipe":

4 lbs meat, cut into 1/8 to 1/4" strips. easier if meat is partially frozen.

1/2 cup soy- i use the "light" less salty
1/2 cup worsestchire sausce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (omit if using smoker)
1 tsp tabasco
1 tablespoon A-1
2 tablespoons Morton's "tender quick"
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup beef broth

mix all ingredients and place in shallow baking dish or non reactive container and marinate overnight.

remove strips from marinade, pat excess liquid with paper towel and place on dehyrdator. Add additional seasonings such as fresh cracked black pepper or red pepper flakes according to your tastes.
ENJOY!

Old 01-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the help. Going to give it a try this weekend.

Scott