Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Will there be a 2014 walleye jig run? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Minnow

Default Will there be a 2014 walleye jig run?

Interested in the opinions of my seasoned knowledgeable and experienced walleye jig fishing colleagues on this site.
Not unlike other parts of the country, Michigan has had an inordinate amount of cold temps, snow and iced over lakes.....St. Clare, Erie, Huron, Detroit River. Spring breakup can take place by end of March.....early April and the upper and lower Detroit River becomes loaded with a tidal wave of spawning eyes and tons of Aluminum and Fiberglass on the chase vertical jigging till the hoard of Silver Bass invade and conquer the water ways during the latter part of May and June. Heard some stats about water temp, spawning temps etc. etc.
Question is...... what effect will a winter,temps,ice, etc. likely have on the fishing this spring given we haven't had this kind of winter since 1978 ish.
Not looking at it as an exact science but folks on this site have been around and experienced a lot of different situations. Will there even be a season or will the spawn take place under ice covered water in the Detroit River?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 AM
Slot Fish

I'll be fishing the detroit April 17-29, in my boat using jigs,, catching walleyes during the run... Only thing this cold weather will do is push it back a few days.. I believe the trigger for the spawn of walleyes is 42*,, there won't be any ice on that river if it's 42*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 03:33 AM
Keeper

I'm not so worried about the ice though it may come off late and hold back safe fishing until late April. Muddy water will be the problem. The spring runoff will be high and prolonged and southern St. Clair might not clear until early May as the run is winding down. 6" visibility is tough to fish in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.