Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
best rod and reel setup for 12 year old child? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: best rod and reel setup for 12 year old child?

If the kids were really young, I'd start them out with a short baitcasting rod and a spincast reel. However at their ages, as REW indicated, they would soon outgrow the outfit. For throwing lighter lures, an open faced spinning outfit would be the ticket. Personally, I wouldn't go with ultralight, because once they advanced beyond the trout on the farm pond, they would once again have outgrown the outfit. I'd say medium light would give them a good time with the pond trout and still have enough oomph to handle some walleyes or other larger fish when they decide to try that. Shimano makes some excellent moderately priced outfits, but so do a lot of other companies. Your best buy typically, is to get a combo rod/reel outfit, and these are offered at Cablela's, Bass Pro, and most local sports shops. In addition to being cheaper than buying the rod and reel separately, they are usually fairly well balanced. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
JimH

I would agree with REW. The 1000 Series Shimanos are real easy for small kids to learn to cast, plus they are pretty cheap when you combine them with a rod/reel combo. I got a pair for my kids at Bass Pro a couple of years ago, paid about $30 each, with them already spooled with line. I wouldn't spend a lot of money for their first rod/reels, because: 1) They won't appreciate a really nice set-up until they're older, 2) Little kids sometimes equate to broken rod tips or rods/reels overboard, 3) If they decide they don't like fishing, like my oldest son, you're not out a lot of money, 4) If they do get hooked on fishing, like my two younger boys, they can still use it to chase panfish in the local lakes and rivers without me having to be there watching like a hawk.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
JimH

I would agree with REW. The 1000 Series Shimanos are real easy for small kids to learn to cast, plus they are pretty cheap when you combine them with a rod/reel combo. I got a pair for my kids at Bass Pro a couple of years ago, paid about $30 each, with them already spooled with line. I wouldn't spend a lot of money for their first rod/reels, because: 1) They won't appreciate a really nice set-up until they're older, 2) Little kids sometimes equate to broken rod tips or rods/reels overboard, 3) If they decide they don't like fishing, like my oldest son, you're not out a lot of money, 4) If they do get hooked on fishing, like my two younger boys, they can still use it to chase panfish in the local lakes and rivers without me having to be there watching like a hawk.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:01 PM
ChadM

Had three four year olds in the boat last year at the same time. All used spinning gear. I did the casting for them but they could all reel okay. Working w/ my son on casting this year w/ spinning gear.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:01 PM
ChadM

Had three four year olds in the boat last year at the same time. All used spinning gear. I did the casting for them but they could all reel okay. Working w/ my son on casting this year w/ spinning gear.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the ugly stick and spinning reels.
If 2 setups are puchased for each kid and line spooled on get one long and light for bobber fishing and casting live bait and another med to med heavy with a larger reel for casting cranks and heavier lures.

Spincast closed faced reels are ok but work best with 10# line and are a throw away reel if problems arise, where with open face spinning they will have them a very long time along with the ugly stick rods.

I still have my 1st Shimano 100 reel I ever bought 20 years ago I think it is an AGX 100. I use it for ice fishing every year the trigger for opening the bail is gone but it still works great.

I used to fish with a guy that learned only on a closed face top mounted spinning and he bought an open face and he held the rod with reel up and cranked backwards to retrieve. It was a hoot the first time I saw him doing it that way and mentioned how they were designed to be used :).

I may be wrong but I think you should spool the rods up with fireline.

Teach the kids to tie a polarmar knot which is simple and only replace the line about every 5 years instead of spooling new line every year.

I fished next to a guy last week on the river that was using mono which was new and he retied 7X when I would just pull hard with 8# fireline and straighten the hook and resume fishing with the same jig.

My .02

Pitts
Old 04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the ugly stick and spinning reels.
If 2 setups are puchased for each kid and line spooled on get one long and light for bobber fishing and casting live bait and another med to med heavy with a larger reel for casting cranks and heavier lures.

Spincast closed faced reels are ok but work best with 10# line and are a throw away reel if problems arise, where with open face spinning they will have them a very long time along with the ugly stick rods.

I still have my 1st Shimano 100 reel I ever bought 20 years ago I think it is an AGX 100. I use it for ice fishing every year the trigger for opening the bail is gone but it still works great.

I used to fish with a guy that learned only on a closed face top mounted spinning and he bought an open face and he held the rod with reel up and cranked backwards to retrieve. It was a hoot the first time I saw him doing it that way and mentioned how they were designed to be used :).

I may be wrong but I think you should spool the rods up with fireline.

Teach the kids to tie a polarmar knot which is simple and only replace the line about every 5 years instead of spooling new line every year.

I fished next to a guy last week on the river that was using mono which was new and he retied 7X when I would just pull hard with 8# fireline and straighten the hook and resume fishing with the same jig.

My .02

Pitts
Old 04-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Keeper

I have a 7 and 11 year old, both girls. I can say with some certainty that for even a 10 year old, the spinning reel will be absolutely no problem to learn, especially casting from a bank on a pond. I disagree, after much trial and much error on providing UL rods or even short rods. I think UL is too light for kids who are old enough to handle a spinning reel and are likely to be looking to handle the occasional larger fish, and doesn't translate into a more versatile outfit, especially if this is the only outfit for both. I'd go light at a minimum, maybe medium light and go for a rod of 6.5 feet with a moderate action. Especially if you will be float fishing, I'd even go to 7 feet. I would not recommend fireline for the kids, think you are asking for broken rods when they inevitably snag, not to mention knot tying and other issues related to line you will have to deal with or they will need to learn, for which I'm not sure something other than some good 8 lb. mono (or even 6)would not be appropriate. By age 9, the limited usefulness of my oldest daughter's 5.5 foot UL rod was becoming apparent to her, of course, it took me longer to catch on. With your budget, you could buy a couple of the older model Cardinal reels (2 for about $60.00), I'd get a model with a spool big enough to allow them easy casting. With the remaining $90 you can get 2 darned nice rods. Just don't underestimate the size and type of equipment a 10 year old can handle, they will surprise you. If they were younger, I'd be more inclined to agree with the UL and perhaps a closed face spinning reel with trigger.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Keeper

I have a 7 and 11 year old, both girls. I can say with some certainty that for even a 10 year old, the spinning reel will be absolutely no problem to learn, especially casting from a bank on a pond. I disagree, after much trial and much error on providing UL rods or even short rods. I think UL is too light for kids who are old enough to handle a spinning reel and are likely to be looking to handle the occasional larger fish, and doesn't translate into a more versatile outfit, especially if this is the only outfit for both. I'd go light at a minimum, maybe medium light and go for a rod of 6.5 feet with a moderate action. Especially if you will be float fishing, I'd even go to 7 feet. I would not recommend fireline for the kids, think you are asking for broken rods when they inevitably snag, not to mention knot tying and other issues related to line you will have to deal with or they will need to learn, for which I'm not sure something other than some good 8 lb. mono (or even 6)would not be appropriate. By age 9, the limited usefulness of my oldest daughter's 5.5 foot UL rod was becoming apparent to her, of course, it took me longer to catch on. With your budget, you could buy a couple of the older model Cardinal reels (2 for about $60.00), I'd get a model with a spool big enough to allow them easy casting. With the remaining $90 you can get 2 darned nice rods. Just don't underestimate the size and type of equipment a 10 year old can handle, they will surprise you. If they were younger, I'd be more inclined to agree with the UL and perhaps a closed face spinning reel with trigger.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Ereie bud

I've used a Johnson for years with 8# line and have never had a problem. Can't use 4# but never fished for anything smart enough to tell the difference :-)