Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
How do you cook perch? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Perch Recipes

Default How do you cook perch?

I am looking for some good recipes for perch, including how to pan fry or deep fry it. I really like perch, but my cooking is not too good. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Gander Mt Guide

Default RE: How do you cook perch?

I love to put them in egg wash and then use ShoreLunch, plain white flour mixed with Lawries season salt/garlic powder and pepper or smooshed Ritz crackers for breading...depending on how heavy of a breading I want.

I like to cook them in butter or Country Crock.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Wallhanger

First dip in Drakes batter mix then roll in Golden Dip or Andys breading, then deep fry.
dean

Fishing Lake Erie aboard "DENIED"

(I don't represent any manufacturer or supplier "I pay my own way")
Old 07-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

For me it's.

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup corn flour
3 Tbsp Old Bay
10-12 oz beer(Can also use charged water)

Dip fish into batter and fry in 350 degree oil(I use canola) till golden brown. Lightly salt with table salt after you remove from frying pan.

Makes a light crispy coating. Very good. Also works nicely on deep fried veggies(Onions, peppers and mushrooms).
Old 07-26-2004, 03:23 PM
rockpt

Somtimes I like to make poor man's shrimp. Boil a few perch fillets for 3 or 4 minutes, cut into bite size pieces and cool in the fridge or freezer, serve with cocktail sauce and cold beer.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

A quick and healthy way to cook them is to use the microwave.
Take a few fillets; lay them on a microwave pan, put a bit of lemon and a couple of melted pats of butter.
Microwave for about 2 minutes and you will be good to go.

Very healthy and quick and easy.

take care
REW
Old 07-26-2004, 07:20 PM
vetspet ind

mix an egg and milk...buttermilk is better....roll in a mix of flour and cornflake crumbs...i like 60-70%cornflake crumbs...some people like 50/50....use ratio "to taste".........wife sometimes double dips....canola oil has to be hot....or it will soak into the dip....we add salt/pepper to taste....generally serve with corn and rice...yummy...we do not like cornmeal in place of the cornflake crumbs...which you can find in most stores...steve heckler
Old 07-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Wallhanger

Pan fry 'em in a sea of (gasp) margarine.

(My parents smuggled lots of margarine into Milwaukee from Illinois. They had 6 kids and my dad didn't earn a butter salary. Possession of margarine was a serious offense in those days, right up there with puffing on a toke ... )
Old 07-27-2004, 07:48 AM
J4Gash

The best way that I have found is to mix Drakes mix with beer until the batter is fairly thin and then put the fish into a zip lock bag with 2 parts drakes and one part corn meal, shake and then into the deep fryer. It comes out with a nice light batter that is great. I normally use corn oil but have heard that peanut oil is very good.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Marbli

A small suggestion. I did not like how Canola Oil frys fish. Got the chance to go to a pretty plush Canada Fly In with a food company. They had their Professional Chefs with them. I asked them my question about Canola Oil. They just laughed, all said they wouldn't think of trying to fry fish in Canola Oil. Their take was for great fish, use quality vegetable oil. I guess the resturant trade doesn't think much of frying in Canola. Just a thought