Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
my dog ate a rabbit - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Default my dog ate a rabbit

looked like a fresh one. could not get it away from him. he was dang proud. should i be concerned? have stools checked for parasites? Wish he was a vegatarion now! :)
Mike (aka Boatnut)

"Many fish bites if you got good bait. I'm a goin' fishin', yes, I'm a going' fishin' and my baby's goin' fishin' too" Taj Mahal, "fishing blues"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: my dog ate a rabbit

I wouldn't worry to much, the pup may have a belly ache for a day or two but that's probably it.

It remindes me of a funny story, a few years back we were on a late season pheasant trip. After the days hunt we gather around a hardwood fire like always, drink a few cocktails and BS. The dogs get to hang, some in the house, some in the camper and others around the fire. About midnight my cousin headed home for the 2 hour drive.

At about 4am I awoke in the camper to my male heaving and farting, and at the same time, impressive! The nastiest smell you can imagine! I got the lysol and carpet cleaner out and got it cleaned up, gave my sickly looking dog some water and made his bed. Figured he ate some pheasant guts, no biggie. I needed some sleep so I got to it. The next morning my pup was doing much better after a morning stretch. We made our way back for some coffee and a biscuit. As I sat down my cell rang. I picked it up, it's my cousin that had left late the night before. He immediatly painted a picture of death over the phone! His dog was up ALL night puking, literally puking his guts out, stomach lining, intestines, and blood. Accompanied by bloodshot eyes, groans and convulsions. Not pretty.

We come to find out our dogs got into the accumulation of deer guts behind the barn from the deer season recently past. My cousin tells that story today with such conviction, really paints a picture, the look on his face, he can still smell those rancid guts on his bedroom carpet. Both dogs were fine but my cousin at the time TRUELY thought his dog was puking up HIS OWN GUTS!!

BIRDDOG
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Field trialer

Yes you do have something to worry about. Rabbits carry the parasite called rabbit tapeworm. Have your dog checksed in 30 days and there is a 90% chance your dog will have it. This is a different type of tapeworm than the common canine tapeworm. Vetspet can tell you the different.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Wallhanger

Tapeworm didn't even dawn on me, though it should have. As soon as read your heading my story consumed my thoughts. Not sure on the 90%? I'd be interested in those stats if you would throw me a link or stats supporting the subject. I'm always willing to learn more.
Yes, rabbits carry the worm and there's is a chance your dog MAY get it, not so sure on the 90% stat?..tapeworms may be gross and nasty to look at but they don't pose a real threat to your dog. Unless it goes untreated for a long period of time. They can be easily taken care of with medication from your vet.

When I said he doesn't have much to worry about...It's not like the dog will likely keel over and die or have serious health problems...If your worried about the tapeworm get your dog some meds.

BIRDDOG
Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Foxes and Coyotes do it all the time...

Yes, have the "Rabbit Hunter" checked for parasites. Never hurts to play on the safe side.

Juls
Old 03-03-2007, 05:29 AM
bobdog

Bob, my black lab, ate several rabits, lots of mice, a couple rats and even a prairie dog in his day. Keep checking his stools for worms - he'll probably be OK, Bob's worst experiences were worms and a bone, wedged in his colon - had to be flushed out.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Slot Fish

Just one? My jack russel used to average one a week, I think she got tired of the fuzz like she got tired of pigeon feathers. My vet has some good wormer(don't remember the name) but he says it tastes like bananas, I know it smells a little like bananas but I'm not going to try it.

I have used ivermectin on some dogs(ask a vet, it will kill some breeds). No-Mo and nemex work
Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

mike...yep...taenia is a common tapeworm transmitted from rabbits to dogs...all tapeworms transmit via indirect transmission and require an intermediate host...the rabbit serves this purpose....the rabit eats the segments found in the stools when the dog has a bm in the field...the segment is filled with eggs which cause a cyst to form in the rabbit muscles and internal abdominal organs...the dog eats the rabbit and the cycle repeats itself...the time between consuming the rabbit and when there are gravid(mature) segments released into the dogs stools is approx 3 wks...normal fecal checks at the vets will often be negative for this parasite because unlike roundworm,hook, whip, and other parasites like coccidiosis...the eggs are not deposited into the feces themself, instead the tapeworm is segmented and intermittently the segments release from the end of the tapeworm (1-2ft long) and owners will see small rice/sesame seed like structures in the stools...so ya gotta look for these and not finding them does not mean your dog is free of them...the good news is that tapeworms essentially cause no real harm to your pets...they are aesthetically ugly and gross...do not make your pet skinny...generally do not cause diarrhea...they do itch the anal area as they crawl around and often attach to the hairs around the anus....so , of all the worms they get, tapes are the most benign...no matter what you have heard...all types of stories out there about how bad tapeworms are...they arent.....there are several varieties(echinococcus) that the tapeworm does not hurt the sheep, but the cyst form occurs in human brains and can kill a person...this is totally different than taenia where the cyst form is only in the rabbit......so the worm form is only in the dog and essentially doesnt hurt them....i doubt the entire tapeworm consumes one kernel of food a day as they only attach by two small pinchers on the scolex (head) and passively absorb food via the cuticle...they do not suck blood as whip/hooks do....no preventative exists but safe treatments are available at the vets...nothing good is available at local pet shops for tapes...the pills are somewhat pricey...probably 20-35 bucks depending on size of pet...there is a cheaper treatment...panacur..which has to be given for three consecutive days and only gets taenia and not the other tape called dyplidium which they get from fleas...i dispense a drug called cestex...drontal is another good one for tapes....generally only one dose is needed as tapes do not migrate in the body as hook/rounds do...altho some vets worm twice...not really necessary...steve...also dont forget that rabbit has bones...so bones would be my main concern hurting the gi tract...could cause all kinds of problems if the dog chews a sharp point and it perforates or obstructs the bowel..steve
Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 AM
hunter guy3

My beagles eat the heads and some parts of rabbits ALL the time as a reward. Just gave them 1 on Wed. last day of bunny season!
Heard some whining outside and figured my dog had tied himself around his house so that his leash would not allow him to get to the rabbit head.
Instead i found him begging to come inside with the rabbits head in his mouth. Would have made such a cute picture to see those rabbit ears sticking out of his mouth while my dogs ears where pinned back whining, "Please let me in to play with this inside."
Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 AM
hunter guy3

My beagles eat the heads and some parts of rabbits ALL the time as a reward. Just gave them 1 on Wed. last day of bunny season!
Heard some whining outside and figured my dog had tied himself around his house so that his leash would not allow him to get to the rabbit head.
Instead i found him begging to come inside with the rabbits head in his mouth. Would have made such a cute picture to see those rabbit ears sticking out of his mouth while my dogs ears where pinned back whining, "Please let me in to play with this inside."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.