Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Can You Copy a Map Card...ie......Navionics - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Hawgeye Unlogged

Default RE: Can You Copy a Map Card...ie......Navionics

First off, the original is not affected by attempting to copy as nothing is done to it but read. That is a story people use to try to scare these people away from doing it.

Secondly, the chips are encrypted with the original and cannot be copied to a new chip to work. You cannot copy that copy to make it work.

Thirdly, it is illegal and you should purchase a new chip.

Hawgeye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Jeff@Navionics

>First off, the original is not affected by attempting to copy
>as nothing is done to it but read. That is a story people use
>to try to scare these people away from doing it.
>
>Secondly, the chips are encrypted with the original and cannot
>be copied to a new chip to work. You cannot copy that copy to
>make it work.
>
>Thirdly, it is illegal and you should purchase a new chip.
>
>Hawgeye

What Hawgeye said.

Many users who put the chip into a PC, who aren't truly computer savvy, mess it up (and of course want a free replacement. "NO...I never put it in the PC" is the usual response). When the chart comes back to us for testing, we can tell exactly what did, or didn't, happen. Therefore-we suggest it not be used in any manner in a PC unless it is with compatible software (Navplanner, Fugawi, Raytech Navigator).

I appeciate the desire for a backup or duplicate copy, but allowing that would have us out of business in no time (unfortunately true). Everyone else would miss out who relies on our mapping.

Not real certain about the legality or illegality of the subject, but the product is VERY well protected, so it is a moot point.

Lets just go fishing!

Jeff@Navionics
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Just Mike

My comment is about master and slave: if you have compatible units which have capability of doing this, yes it will work. In my case, I have a Raymarine C-80 hooked to a Sea Talk network to which is also hooked a Raytheon L 760 RC. Selecting a waypoint to go to on either unit will put it on the other unit but since my L 760 RC uses C-map chips and the C-80 uses Navionics chips, I do not have repeater capability. If I had another L 760 RC hooked to the first, I would have master/repeater capability. This doesn't really mean a chip is being copied, it's being read by both units. I don't know about Lowrance but Raymarine has been offering master/repeater with certain of their units.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Just Mike

My comment is about master and slave: if you have compatible units which have capability of doing this, yes it will work. In my case, I have a Raymarine C-80 hooked to a Sea Talk network to which is also hooked a Raytheon L 760 RC. Selecting a waypoint to go to on either unit will put it on the other unit but since my L 760 RC uses C-map chips and the C-80 uses Navionics chips, I do not have repeater capability. If I had another L 760 RC hooked to the first, I would have master/repeater capability. This doesn't really mean a chip is being copied, it's being read by both units. I don't know about Lowrance but Raymarine has been offering master/repeater with certain of their units.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Hey jeff, will slaving it work. I run a 332c on the console, and am planning on adding a 27c up front, both Lowrance. If I put the chip in one, will the other at least be able to read it.

24 hours in a day, 24 cans in a case, you do the math
Old 07-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Wishnfishn

I know that with Lowrance if you have one unit slaved off another marking a waypoint on one will also save it to the other but will the card data from the master also show up on the slaved unit?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Wallhanger

No, it will not read from one to the other.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

>You can do it...it's just not easy for the average Joe. It
>would be a violation of the purchase agreement, however. The
>law here allows you to make a back-up (single) copy of
>software applications, don't know about the US though.

it is legal to make one backup copy of software in the US

rebs