Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
White road paint on car, what will remove - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Max1

Default White road paint on car, what will remove

Wife was driving and got into the white paint that states paint along the side of the road? What can I use to remove?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: White road paint on car, what will remove

Mineral spirits or zippo fluid would be my first attempt without damaging the car finish. Gotta get to it quickly though. Goof-Off will probably work, but might dull your finish. If you go that route, try it in a hidden area first, like in the trunk. Or maybe one of those bug and tar removers specially made for auto finishes???

Visit DOWNRIVER TACKLE in the Walleye Central Directory
http://www.walleyecentral.com/wcdire...ge.php?ckey=47
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Goof off generally will work.
Also, you can try xylene - which will also likely work.
Worst case - use paint stripper, but it will also likely take the rest of the paint off the car.

Take care
REW
Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty sure Goof-off is Xylene, or at least mostly. Sure smells like it to me. Just really expensive xylene. LOL

Visit DOWNRIVER TACKLE in the Walleye Central Directory
http://www.walleyecentral.com/wcdire...ge.php?ckey=47
Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

I have used Deisel Fuel with success in the past.
You will need to re-wax the area.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Terror -
I completly agree with you on the makeup of Goof off.

I have used both the Goof off as well as xylene and find that they look the same, smell the same and act the same.

I would expect that there are a few other things in Goof off, but I certainly believe that the main active ingrediant is Xylene.

---------
Another thing that may or may not work on the paint - depending on composition of the paint - is Acetone.

However, one of the problems of Acetone is that it is a very quick evaporating solvent. Sometimes it evaporates so quickly, that it is tough to get it to stay on the material long enough to penetrate for easy cleaning.

Xylene, has a significantly slower evaporation rate and thus allows better penetration of the solvent into the paint for removal.

Take care
REW
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Morton,
Your idea on Diesel fuel reminds me of a camping story from my first new car. I had a new white car that I was using to pull a camping trailer that I had also painted a matching white.

We were going to go camping at an island in Lake Superior. I had talked to a fellow at work who told me where the camp ground was, and to ask about accomodations from the ferry boat captain.

I did so, and the captain indicated that there were only a couple spaces left on our trip over. So we quickly made our way toward the campground - with - it turned out - incorrect directions. We traveled 1 mile down a freshly oiled road, then back the same distance, before making the campground.

When we got to the campground, our children hopped out of the car and immediately got road oil on the new camping clothing. After registering, we made our way to the only service station on the island, and picked up 5 gallons of diesel fuel. After scrubbing the car and trailer with diesel, and a rinse of soap and water we enjoyed the rest of the trip.

However, after getting home, we could see the line left by the road oil on the white car. Therefore, I went over the car and trailer again - on the gravel driveway with gasoline to get all of the oil out of the paint pores. Then, a very very very good scrub with hot soap and water and a hard wax and buff finished off the job.

The one good thing was that the road oil did a great job of making the car quieter as well as rust proofing the car. After running the car for 10 years, no problems with rust before selling it.

Yes, any type of diluant - as my chemist friend would say - that is a substance that will mix with the parent material and dilute it can be used to remove the final product. Of course when there is a chemical cure involved, as is the case with drying paint, or curing epoxy, then the situation changes. This is where heat, or paint remover is called for to rid yourself of the problem.

Take care
REW
Old 09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Keeper

Spray with WD40 and allow it to soak in for a day then use a high pressure car wash nozzle to remove it, it may take a couple treatment if its heavy. The WD40 will not harm the paint.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Guest42

Just information - traffic paints can be oil based or latext based. In my area the trend is towards latex because of clean-up of equipment and environmental stuff but oil-based is still used by some agencies.

Didn't know if that affects your choice of cleaning options.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Wallhanger

I'd go with the WD-40 first.
24 hours in a day, 24 cans in a case, you do the math