Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
winter walleye pattern - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2000, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default winter walleye pattern

I'm going to a new lake to ice fish. i have a map showing depth, structure etc. my question is where should i start my search for eyes? i'll get the scoop from the local bait shop(their spin anyway). but i was wondering if you had no info on a lake except a map, where would you start? flats, drop offs, river channel? i want to know more on the winter pattern of walleye, so i can narrow my search for fish. thanks in advance to anyone who replies, the collective knowledge at this site really is amazing.

"go outside and play"
sib
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2000, 12:06 PM
Keeper

Default RE: winter walleye pattern

There once was a guy that went by "Lou in Alex" that answered the same question for me, I'll try to say what he had to say about it because it was some good stuff (anybody seen Lou?).

Basicaly it comes down to knowing spawning locations and assuming that they will be heading that way. It may be the rip-rap near a dam, or the inlet of a river, but thats where they should be heading this time of year. Find spots near spawning grounds that are holding bait, and you'll find fish.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:03 PM
cisco

I'd look first for underwater bars heading out into the lake off peninsulas with steep drop on one side and less severe drop off the other -- I'd set a line on each side and check for action.

Second choice is the usually dependable submerged island -- one that comes up to within 3 feet of the surface, if possible. I'd find the hump and fish different depths around the perimeter. On my lake it works well.

Third choice is off the edge of a fairly deep weedline. Good maps show where these are -- then it's drill a few holes to find it yourself. Good luck, and good fun.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:11 PM
Slot Fish

Look for points, humps or steep drops with rocks that are near deep water. If you have a camera look for the biggest rocks that are near transitions to soft bottom.

When the sun starts to set you'll see the flags flying usually starting with deepest hole first. Have a variety of holes drilled and move shallower as the fish do.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:31 PM
Keeper

All of the systems mentioned will work. We use these as well as seeing where holes have been drilled....ask yourself from your map and knowledge why was the guy fishing here....it is easy to see if the guy has been catching fish. A boot around on the snowmachine especially on smaller lakes will tell many a tale. Kind of crude but it really works.
Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.