Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Minnow

Default 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes?

Now that I need to get a new vehicle, I have to prep my current truck for a sale. Anyone have experience doing the front brakes on the later model Chevys at home; I have the 17" wheels? Went to the parts store and asked the guy about rotors and pads and about fell over when he quoted prices (several different styles available I guess depending on the exact equipment on the truck). He quoted rotors from $35 to $95 a piece and pads from $13.99 to $50. He said it recommends ceramic pads but will metallic pads work? He said I need to pull a rotor and the pads to determine the exact style I need. I haven't looked but is there anything in the manual or on the door frame telling me what ones I need?

Are the OEM rotors too thin these days to get them turned at least once assuming they aren't too pitted or warped? Anything else I need to look out for when changing out the front brakes? I have done several different styles of cars but never worked on a truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes?

The front brakes are not too bad...but yes, they are pricey. I have an '05 Z71 just like you and ended up paying $70 apiece for them from Advance Auto. I also tried to go the cheaper way out and bought the cheap pads...they disintegrated quickly. I'd suggest that if you are going to keep the truck any longer than another 2,000 miles get some godo quality semi-metallic pads. And don't be surprised if you can't get them turned...I'm not heard on my brakes, yet they couldn't be turned without going out of spec. They are cheaply made these days and are essentially disposable.

Don't get me started on the rear brakes....drums on this model since GM aparrently hasn't joined the rest of the technological revolution and figured out how to make discs in the rear work. Changing those ia a pain...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

That is odd,,,,my 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 has rear disc brakes but it is an extended cab. Maybe that's the difference? Or maybe disc brakes were an option?

b2
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Yup...they went back to drums in 2005. I think that the new trucks are still drums. Couldn't keep pads from wearing out and rotors from warping.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

>He quoted rotors from $35 to $95 a piece and pads from $13.99 to $50

Those prices don't look high to me. Just be glad you don't have a 3/4 or 1 ton if you think these prices are high.

The factory rotors can be machined. Use ceramic pads not semi-metallic.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

Lousiest brakes I ever saw.
The only complaint I have on my truck...but it sucks!
I have a 2005 Sierra 1500. I have already had the brakes replaced twice under warranty.
I don't live in town...and hardly ever drive in town...but 17,ooo-18,ooo miles is all you get ...and she gets jerky as Heck.

Now I have 54,000 miles...guess what? It shakes like a bent wheel when the brakes are applied.
It sucks.

I have never had brake issues like this on any other vehicle I ever owned.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

Lousiest brakes I ever saw.
The only complaint I have on my truck...but it sucks!
I have a 2005 Sierra 1500. I have already had the brakes replaced twice under warranty.
I don't live in town...and hardly ever drive in town...but 17,ooo-18,ooo miles is all you get ...and she gets jerky as Heck.

Now I have 54,000 miles...guess what? It shakes like a bent wheel when the brakes are applied.
It sucks.

I have never had brake issues like this on any other vehicle I ever owned.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

>but 17,ooo-18,ooo miles is all you get

That's wierd. I see some trucks get over 100,000 miles before needing brakes, on 99 and up models. Fronts seem to last longer than the rears though. My 01 has 65,000 with the original brakes and tires.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Keeper

Sounds like the rotors are warped. They must be using the GM rotors when they replace your old rotors. Unless they have increased the thickness of the rotors I think you will continue to have problems. There must be after market rotors that would cure your problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Nightie

Had the same problem with brakes. Finally replaced the rotors with the standard old style... Not the new and improved warping ones...The new style warp after driving through water puddles.. just passed the stop sign...the kind the factory /dealer recommends.
Bit the bullet and that helped. Bought life time replacement pads and kept the receipt for once. When the ware tabs started to rub removed the pair of pad and brought them in and to my surprised they ,the auto parts store replaced them.
A contractor buddy brought two of his trucks to Midas years back when they needed brake work on their trucks. They paid the on godly price to get them fixed. The light at the end of the tunnel is Midas guarantee there work for as long as you own the truck. My Bud still is bringing his trucks in to make them fix it.
Midas nicks him a little each time these trucks go in but for the most part it well worth it. If you own a GM you know about brakes and need a deal.
I wonder why GM went back to drums. A friends 2500hd has disc brakes in the rear and he has over 80,000 miles and has never touched them. Hauls work/boat trailers all the time with no problems.
I have stop being so Windy!