Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Sharpening Mora Ice auger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2000, 08:12 PM
Minnow

Default Sharpening Mora Ice auger

Anyone got tips on how to sharpen the blades on a Mora 8" ice auger? Haven't used mine for a few years and tried it yesterday, and it wouldn't start into the ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2000, 09:18 PM
Juls_WI

Default RE: Sharpening Mora Ice auger

Check with your local baitshop, they might do it for you. We do it at ours, so my thinking is that other shops do it too. Just a passing thought.

Juls
Old 12-30-2000, 10:01 PM
Keeper

I just send them back to Mora. They resharpen the blades and return them to you like new, which they may well be. I think they charge abot $6
Old 12-30-2000, 10:23 PM
Keeper

Bob, for a few extra bucks you can pick up a new set of blades. Just go to practically any sport shop and pick them up for around 12$ There is a certain technique for sharpening blades that is impossible to describe. My dad was very good at this, And he showed me the light on this, but hands on experience is the only way to go. New blades are relatively cheap. I guess I would just buy new ones. EE
Old 01-01-2001, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

1) Never touch the bottom of the blade with the stone.
2) Use a circular motion with the stone on the slanted face of the blade working from the inner to the outer edge.
3) Make sure the blades are DRY and coated with a light oil or silicone lube when you put the drill away each day. I put the drill in front of a heat register to dry off when I get home then lube it.

I've used the 7" drill for about 20 yrs. with the original blades and it still cuts like new!
Old 01-02-2001, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

It is a skill for sure!

I would find somebody that has the talent for it and have them show you first hand, it is too hard to just pick up from a written description.

I personally can take a slightly dulled MORA blade and turn it into a perfectly child's safe toy in seconds, so I'm definitely not your man!

I get a pro with a stone to do it for me and keep a sharp set handy as a spare. Well worth the expense to have 2 set's of blade's for any auger.

BE........><,,>

Old 01-02-2001, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I send mine with the guy who does our saw blades. Twin City Sharpening in Fargo. They've done an excellent job on my Jiffy and my brothers Strike Master. They can look up the specs on anything and regrind the exact angle needed. Cost a couple of bucks. I have two sets of blades and I change/sharpen once a year.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.