Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Lake erie nets - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-14-2000, 07:57 AM
WALLEYE KID

Default RE: Lake erie nets

Why can't WE(the americans) sit down with the Canadian fisherman, and set some sort of a limit of how many pounds of walleye can be taken ANNUALLY!! This way, its limited, and yet the netting will slow down. I love fishin in Erie, and I just bought a new boat, i dont wana fish up there for like 5 years and have the fish population up there extinct. I meen after they fish out Erie, just ask yourself a question WHERE ARE THEY GOIN TO NEXT? It either has to stop, or it has to slow down. And i know all u canadians on that side who actually FISH with rods and reels, have to agree. Erie is one of the only places in our country where u can go and hook into a 12lb walleye. DONT ANY OF U CANADIANS WANT YOUR KIDS TO EXPERIENCE THIS!! OR DO U JUST WANA KILL THE LAKE AND JUST MAKE IT INTO A WATER HOLE!! SLOW DOWN THE COMMERCIAL FISHING, make us pay extra on our Fishin Licences, DO WHAT EVER IT TAKE!! WE HAVE TO START SAVIN ERIE BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2000, 11:03 AM
steve

It's not the fisherman that are at fault. It's the governments. The national governement of U.S. doesn't want to step in because it is not really hurting them. What it is hurting is Ohio, Michigan, etc. If the walleye fishing remains poor for a couple of years, the economy of the states, not the government is going to suffer the impact.
Old 06-14-2000, 12:06 PM
andy hartwig

It is good to see that the absurd idea of a net dividing the lake has settled down. I believe that was suggested in jest, and hopefully nobody actually took it seriously. This would truely be an impossibility. I would really appreciate somebody listing addresses (e-mial) and phone numbers for the appropriate elected officials in both Michigan and Ohio for us to contact. I saw a situation on the St. Joseph river (Michigan) where a very few fisherman got regulations changed to help protect the walleye---look in your michigan fishing guide under special regulations for walleye, that's a recent change due in part to mainly one person constantly writing to the dnr. Now I know the Erie situation is a little different, but as proved by this site, look how many people we have to help us. So please write to your state officials and let them know that you demand action, it is possible to enact some change. I strongly encourage our Canadian brothers to do the same, eh? So, please, lets get some addresses listed on the main discussion page.
Old 06-14-2000, 12:55 PM
Don

I was being sarcastic. It does have credibility given the curren administration.
Old 06-14-2000, 04:03 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Save a walleye; scalp a Canadian!

A Canadian gill netter that is!
Old 06-15-2000, 04:32 AM
4-given

See post #4 above. The links are to their websites. I tried to e-mail Mike Dewine but could not get it to go through. I did fax letters to both Mr. Dewine and Mr. Voinovich.
Old 06-15-2000, 01:33 PM
Wallhanger

i gonna stick my nose in here just a little bit
i will probably regret this.....
first its not canada, its ontario.
second, frank is a good guy and he always gets
pulled into this like its america vs frank (and
thats not the case.)

they (onatrio gill netters) net lake of the woods too, and scream about
one day trippers from minnesota ruining the
walleye and sauger population on the canadian
side of the lake....(but this isnt the purpose
of this post either).

the solution is very simple, but not easy. outraged sportspeople learn of this and
jump in here crazily shouting BOYCOTT CANADA!!!!!!! (when they should say, BOYCOTT ONTARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!)the next half dozen posts
relay the wonderful trips to canada over the
decades and how they will continue to venture
to paradise no matter what.

my fellow americans.....most of the people fishing
in ontario are tourists...you and me...and i wont
go there any more so its just you now. no arguments, no whinning, no crap....there are other
provinces who treat you alot better, they have
their owns sets of rules too but these governments
dont treat you like you are picking their pocket
(when they are picking yours). manitoba and
saskatchewan (i bet i didnt spell that right)are
excellent i can recommend them.

if sport fishermen continue to flood the border
into the land of gill nets because it isnt their
concern and "fishing is just fine where we go"
then the future doesnt look good. ontario has no
obligation to us and hunkerin down stubbornly pointing fingers elsewhere is something they love
to do.

they do understand money and know where it comes
from..they are betting that we cant come together
with a unified voice to say "enough is enough".
if they can run the nets and collect tourist money too....why not.

can we convince our brothers and sisters to stay
away from ontario for a couple years? i would love
to try. lets see what the next few posts say.........

curt quesnell

Old 06-16-2000, 03:14 AM
Don

Populations notwithstanding, all one has to do is spend a couple of days around Leamington near the marinas where a lot of commercial outfits work. In fact, there are "slaughter and processing" facilities in the same area. You will see many many net boats heading for the border south of Pelee. And the border often is blurred. I've been out there at the crack of dawn, at the line, and seen nets that stretched south of the border. I've seen it a couple of times. What can you do when they are picking up?

All the charter boats in the western basin couldn't touch what those netters from the west end of the canadian shore take. Don't kid us, or yourself.
Old 06-16-2000, 04:41 AM
Eye Trap

Not a problem for me-I've been boycotting Canada for the past five years,and I don't buy perch,walleye,or even swordfish at the store or restaurants. The only thing left for me to do is convince the ODNR and the politicians that Canadian Gillnetters are RAPING our Lake!!! Does anyone have the website address of the LECBA??? I think this is the best place to start--- Face it people,We have to do SOMETHING or Lake Erie will die!!
Old 06-16-2000, 09:46 AM
Fuzzy

Ken - I'm sure they come from Lake Erie, but I
don't understand where ALL the harvested walleye go? Has there been a giant demand increase? I don't think so. Those big processing plants on the
Canadian side must be doing something else with them. They are killing way to many fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.