Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
spawning walleyes - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 03-25-2001, 09:13 AM
jackson

Default RE: spawning walleyes

So dont release them, fry em up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2001, 09:36 AM
Minnow

I think we should close down sportfishing altogether!! Just think of all the fish we'd save. Pretty soon we can walk across the lake on thier backs. I spend lot$ and lot$ of money on fishing and will keep what I feel is right. What I feel is fair may not be what someone else thinks and visa versa. We all have a responsibilty to our heirs. Do what you think is right and fair and you should feel good and not be critized!!!
Old 03-25-2001, 09:47 AM
Sean

I know I was encouraged (by the charter captain) to keep ALL walleyes when fishing Erie, and especially thouse big females for the reasons "Ezmarc" suggests. However, I was uncomfortable keeping the 10 and 11 lb fish since I have not seen or read any published studies supporting this reasoning. Are there any fish biologists who would care to comment?
Old 03-25-2001, 02:29 PM
Gary K

Just dont complain when all there is to fry is carp.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:54 AM
pepe

no one has commented on the commercial fishing during the spawn. Im agin it!!
Old 03-26-2001, 05:30 AM
Keeper

All sportfishing and commercial fishing harvest should be closed during spawning seasons for particular species.(game fish) I also feel that anyone who thinks differently should have their heads examined!
Old 03-26-2001, 12:56 PM
Joel W.

I've been fishing for about 37 years and have given this subject much thought over the years.
I can't say that I can see a big difference between keeping a large walleye during the spawn or any other time of the year. Almost all large walleyes are females and taking one out of the system has the same effect regardless of the time of year.
When I was younger, it would have been a sure bet that I would keep any large walleye I caught. Then again, I didn't catch that many until my skills as a fisherman improved.
Those of us who fish on a regular basis in our home waters have the ability to effect the fishing in those waters the most. Do the math and you will soon realize this is true. Say you fish the same waters all the time but only average two or three keepers per trip. But if you fish 150 times per year on that system then you may have removed 300 to 400 or more walleyes in one year all by yourself. The person who travels to these same waters 3 or 4 or even 5 times a year and takes a limit home each time would still only have removed perhaps 30 fish per year at the most.
Take a camera along, have fun, enjoy the chance to be fishing again. Then take only what you need. And please be selective. There is absolutely no doubt that the smaller ones taste better and are better for you. PCB's, Dioxin and Mercury have more time to accumulate in the systems of the older fish. Do you really want to eat that stuff?
I realize that every system is different also. You can not compare keeping a 12lb. walleye from Lake Erie to keeping one of the same size from a small river or lake system.
I'm not against keeping a big fish for the wall either. The price they charge for reprodutions is prohibitive to many people and if you fish and keep selectively all year round then you should certainly be allowed to keep a trophy when permitted by law.
Enjoy your fishing and leave some for tomorrow because it's the right thing to do!
Old 03-26-2001, 05:52 PM
Wallhanger

I belong to the Lower Columbia Walleye Club in Portland, Oregon. Our Oregon fishing laws recently changed, mostly because most of the politicians and government here have decided to eradicate any species not native to our state. We have been trying to protect our walleye fishery by teaching catch and release. We like to try and keep our spawning fish healthy and if we fish during the spawn, we let our female walleye go and keep some of the male walleye that are caught. The only way we have of sustaining the walleye poulation is if we don't keep the larger spawners. If you are interested in recieving more information, you can contact our club editor, Larry McClintock at lwmcclinto@aol.com and he would be glad to share his insight. Tom

Old 03-26-2001, 06:16 PM
red ardvak

everybody is foregettin the the most importent part of it all fishing none of us are al linder some of us claim to be most of the time its non agressive fish you got to work your ##### off to get bit
Old 03-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Gary K

I dont know how hard you have to work at it when you fish an area your whole life. I know myself and several friends who could limit just about any time out. Im no AL LINDER but I know the area(detroit river)I fish extremely well, and most importantly I know how to fish it. We are all in our late 20's and early 30's and we'd still like to fish here when we retire. Give the big girls back and wait for a 12 and take that and i wont complain one bit.