Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
red gut bay / rainy lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-30-2001, 07:06 PM
UMPIE

Default red gut bay / rainy lake

i need to know more about this lake as i am planning to fish there 6/1 to 6/8 and planing to stay at a place call the landing . what is this place like? i am staying in a camper and taking a boat.please advise me of this place.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2001, 06:43 AM
nd89sc88

Default RE: red gut bay / rainy lake

I don't know anything about the resort, but have fished Red Gut Bay on and off for the last 13-14 years. In the spring, its jig and minnows time. Take PLENTY of jigs. Rainy is very rocky and if you aren't losing jigs often, you are not getting into the rocks where the fish are.

As for location, fish will be in classic post-spawn haunts along shorelines with access to early weed cover, or down timber, or round rocks. One of the classic places to fish spring walleyes on Red Gut Bay is Moose Island. It's on the map. Also north and west of Moose Island are two or three other islands (I think Blueberry is one of them)which also frequently hold fish. Depending on weather, water temperature and cloud cover, the fish may be in as little as 2-3 feet of water, hugging the shore. Fish the windy side of the island and throw your jigs up tight. Go light! Also, if I had to choose one color on Rainy, I would choose chartreuse

If looking for a few gators, look on your map slightly north and east of Moose Island. There is a shallow weedy bay which always produces (we have nicknamed it Houseboat Bay because it is very protected). Spoons and big spinners baits seem to be the preference. I have also caught pike consistently on perch colored Countdown Rapalas trolled along steep rock walls. For instance, go through Bear's Pass Narrows and under the high bridge into Swell Bay, turn right and follow the wall as close as possible until you get to the first cabin. Don't go past there--huge rocks, very shallow--will definitely take out your lower unit! Be cautious!!

If any other questions feel free to e-mail me.

Good luck,and post your report when you get back.

Bill
Old 02-02-2001, 02:15 PM
The Great Guide

In my opinion Red Gut is better for walleyes in the summer than early June. However, there are plenty to be had for the savvy fisherman. I agree with ND89 that jigs and minnows are effective. Some of my favroite early June spots - all are listed on the maps: Red pine narrows, Entrance to Porter's Inlet (this area is restricted no fishing past this point until I think June 15th. Crooked Narrows, Peary Straights, Spawn Bay Inlet. Pull some 8 to 9 inch white or yellow Rapalas around the bays downstream from these spots for nice 20 to 25 inch W's. . The Landing is a nice place and very centrally located to these spots.

If you want to take a nice 20 mile boat ride for a days fishing go to Grassy Narrows on Seine Bay. Fish the narrows and the big bay to the right. If you want to make a 25 miles run you can go to Comorant Bay on the other side of the Scott Islands in South Bay Remember US citizens get 1 fish per day.

Smallmouth fishing is excellent this time of the year. They are in any rock pile or on island points. Small cranks will get the Smallies without much effort. If it's a sunny day, go for the Smallies until the evening hours then go for the W's. TGG
Old 02-02-2001, 07:46 PM
umpie

i thought if you held a 7 day conversion lic the the daily bag was 3 .is ther a slot on rainy also ?
Old 02-02-2001, 10:30 PM
The Great Guide

The one fish per day is for US citizens even if you are staying at a resort in Ontario. This applies only to the Canadian side of Rainy. There is also a slot of fish under 13 inches and over 17 1/2 inches must be released. I not sure so check the regs, but the trophy is only one over 27 inches. The conservation lic. allows you 2 W's in possesion.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Joe

I have stayed at that resort for the past 10 years. Neil the owner is great. The fishing is pretty good. Some of the best walleye fishing is just out from the resort by the bouy marker near the narrows. I haven't had much luck in that area for northern. Good place to stay and the fishing should be pretty good that time of the year. I usually head up to Black Sturgeon Bay and fish for smallies and northern. Spawn Inlet for crappies. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
screamin

Smile How was it?

I'm going to be @ our family cabin north of the landing through perry straight for almost 2 weeks starting 8 july. Have fished a spot west of our cabin called jungle jim's in higher water years, but hear water is low this year. Had a spot north of the cabin that was good year before last. Another good spot further north. Usually try mouth of trout river & cliff narrows also. Have had good luck @ sand island falls turtle river.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 AM
WindsormanMB

Default The Landing website?

Does The Landing Resort on Red Gut have a website?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Keeper

Default Or a phone number?

If no website, does any know a phone number for the resort?
Thanks in advance,
Marv
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia Walihntr View Post
If no website, does any know a phone number for the resort?
Thanks in advance,
Marv
The Landing 807-481-1106

Say "Hi" to Neil for me.

Scott